Honored Contributor

5000 Years Foods, Inc. cabbage Kimchi is recalled.

5000 Years Foods, Inc. Recall Cabbage Kimchi Because of Possible of Health Risk

When a company announces a recall, market withdrawal, or safety alert, the FDA posts the company's announcement as a public service. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.

Summary
Company Announcement Date: July 13, 2021 FDA Publish Date: July 14, 2021 Product Type: Food & Beverages Reason for Announcement:
Potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination
Company Name: 5000 Years Foods, Inc. Brand Name:
5000 Years Foods, Inc.
Product Description:
Kimchi Products

Company Announcement

5000 YEARS FOODS, INC. of CHICAGO, ILLINOIS is recalling SLICED CABBAGE KIMCHI, WHOLE CABBAGE KIMCHI, JULRADO WHOLE CABBAGE KIMCHI, JULRADO SLICED CABBAGE KIMCHI, NO MSG WHOLE CABBAGE KIMCHI, NO MSG SLICED CABBAGE KIMCHI, NO MSG JULRADO WHOLE CABBAGE KIMCHI, NO MSG JULRADO SLICED CABBAGE KIMCHI, WHITE KIMCHI, BABY NAPA KIMCHI because it has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.

The recalled product was distributed in ILLINOIS where the product was further distributed and it reached customers through distributors to retail stores potentially nationwide.

The recalled product was sold in 5GAL plastic tubs, and 128 oz, 64 oz, 32 oz, & 16 oz glass jars under the 5000 Years Foods brand name with code information “09052021” through “09252021” printed on the top of the lid. 

-   No illnesses have been reported to date.

The recall was the result of sampling by the FDA that found Listeria monocytogenes in the production facility. We, 5000 Years Foods, Inc., corrected all actions via FDA guideline and we are waiting for the environmental test result from a licensed laboratory.

Consumers who have purchased the recalled products should not consume them, and are urged to dispose of them or return them to the place of purchase for a refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-773-509-8600. (Mon-Fri 9:00 AM -4Smiley Surprised0 PM)

Company Contact Information
Consumers: 5000 Years Foods, Inc. 1-773-509-8600
Respected Contributor

Re: 5000 Years Foods, Inc. cabbage Kimchi is recalled.

I was just looking at kimchi today. Glad I didn't buy any. Not sure what brand I was even looking at.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   Thanks...always appreciate your posts.  Last time I bought Kimchi, the store was out of my favorite brand.  I'll check what I have in the refrigerator.  I've always wanted to make my own....this post inspires me to get on it!

Esteemed Contributor

I have Korean friends and been to Korea where it is a daily side dish. It takes a while to cultivate a taste for it, one that I never could. Sometimes in Korean cleaners they will be cooking it all day long.