Honored Contributor

5 Top Ways To Boost Your Immune Health and Stay Flu-Free

If you want to join the ranks of "those people" who rarely get sick, start with the strategies listed below. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it does give you a general idea of how to live healthy and avoid getting sick. Other factors, like getting high-quality sleep and avoiding exposure to environmental toxins, are important too, but if you're looking for a few simple "secrets" to get started on today … start with these …

Optimize Your Vitamin D

This takes the number one position for a reason: if you're vitamin-D-deficient, and many are, your immune system will not activate to do its job. Just one example of an important gene that vitamin D up-regulates is your ability to fight infections, including the flu. It produces over 200 antimicrobial peptides, the most important of which is cathelicidin, a naturally occurring broad-spectrum antibiotic.

At least five studies show an inverse association between lower respiratory tract infections and vitamin D levels. That is, the higher your vitamin D level, the lower your risk of contracting colds, flu, and other respiratory tract infections. To find out more, including your best sources of vitamin D, dosing and what proper levels should be, please watch my free one-hour lecture.

The best way to increase your vitamin D level is by sun exposure but that is difficult for most people in the fall and winter, so next best would be to use a safe tanning bed. Neither of these methods require blood testing as long as you are getting enough exposure to get a tan. The least best way to increase your vitamin D level is by swallowing it, which will require a blood test to confirm your level is correct. Most adults require 8,000 units to reach therapeutic levels and some much more. Although that may sound too high to some, remember you can get up to 20,000 units through sun or tanning bed exposures.

Optimize Your Insulin and Leptin Levels by Avoiding Sugar, Fructose

Eating sugar, fructose and grains will increase your insulin level, which is one of the fastest ways to get sick and also experience premature aging. Leptin is another heavyweight hormone associated with disease and the aging process.

Like your insulin levels, if your leptin levels become elevated, your body systems will develop a resistance to this hormone, which will wreak havoc in your body.

My nutrition plan, based on natural whole foods, is your first step toward optimizing your insulin and leptin levels and increasing your chances of living a longer, healthier life. The heart of my program is the elimination, or at the very least, drastic reduction of fructose, grains and sugar in your diet, which is also important for flu prevention because sugar decreases the function of your immune system.

Exercise

If you are exercising regularly, just as if your vitamin D levels are optimized, the likelihood of your acquiring the flu or other viral illness decreases quite dramatically, and studies have clearly shown this.

In one such study, staying active cut the risk of having a cold by 50 percent, and cut the severity of symptoms by 31 percent among those who did catch a cold. The researchers noted that each round of exercise may lead to a boost in circulating immune system cells that could help ward off a virus.

It's a well-known fact that exercise improves the circulation of immune cells in your blood. The job of these cells is to neutralize pathogens throughout your body. The better these cells circulate, the more efficient your immune system is at locating and defending against viruses and diseases trying to attack your body.

Since exercise has repeatedly been proven to benefit your immune system over the long haul, it's crucial to treat exercise like a drug that must be properly prescribed, monitored and maintained for you to enjoy the most benefits. Essentially, you need to have a varied, routine that includes high-intensity interval exercises like Peak Fitness.

Eat Plenty of Raw Food

One of the most important aspects of a healthy diet that is frequently overlooked is the issue of eating your food uncooked, in its natural raw state.

Unfortunately, as you may be aware, over 90 percent of the food purchased by Americans is processed. And when you're consuming these kinds of denatured and chemically altered foods, it's no surprise we have an epidemic of chronic and degenerative diseases, not to mention way too many cases of colds and flu.

Ideally you'll want to eat as many foods as possible in their unprocessed state; typically organic, biodynamic foods that have been grown locally, and are therefore in season. But even when you choose the best foods available you can destroy most of the nutrition if you cook them. I believe it's really wise to strive to get as much raw food in your diet as possible.

I personally try to eat about 80 percent of my food raw, including raw eggs and organic, naturally raised meats.

Learn How to Effectively Cope With Stress

Stress has a major influence on the function of your immune system, which is why you've probably noticed you're more likely to catch a cold or the flu when you're under a lot of stress. This is true for both acute stressful episodes, such as preparing a big project for work, and chronic stress, such as relationship troubles or grief. Both will deteriorate your immune system and leave it less able to fight off infectious agents.

And, in the event you do get sick, emotional stressors can actually make your cold and flu symptoms worse. So be sure you take time in life to de-stress and unwind using stress management tools like exercise, meditation, massage, and solid social support.
Following these guidelines will help you optimize both your health and immune function, and by doing so minimize your risk of the flu and other infectious disease.

Respected Contributor

Re: 5 Top Ways To Boost Your Immune Health and Stay Flu-Free

Hi @SeaMaiden wish these things were equally applied to all!  Everything in this article I have heard before but my experience is not this for myself.  

Example....I have had my vit d levels up into the high 60's (68 last lab) for several yrs and I still had a reactivation of the EBV which slapped me down for 8mo's or more....really closer to 1yr.  

This yr in Dec my son came home from college and said he had a really sore throat....I thought OH NO!!  Sure enough the next day I had it and by that night a full on head cold.  It wasn't as bad as yrs past for me but still I got it.  

Husband on the other hand has super low vit d...20 and never takes supplements.....and was a smoker for 35yrs or so....worked long stressful hours....huge amount of travel to plants in other states....less sleep due to that kind of schedule and I can only remember him getting sick 3 times in 28yrs of marriage.  Once right after our 1st son was born (he's 27 now) and then last yr he got a sinus infection (he was so ticked off about that cause he had to go into the doc!) and the yr prior a cold.  

What was really odd is that I and our sons have been ill MANY times over the yrs....flu colds sinus infection and so on....he never would get anything.  What else was strange was the 2yrs in a row he did get something I didn't get anything those yrs!  It was like he was me and I was him LOL!  

He only began working out a few yrs now so that didn't help him in those last 2 yrs either....he always sleeps great I tend to get up or wake up alot.  Have been awake since 5am today....his alarm goes off 5:15am so I was up blowing my nose over and over but I am not sick just allergies.  

I think ones genetics/gene's play a role....a big one more then all the things they tell us....I am sure I am much better off keeping my D levels up and working on getting better sleep and learning to lower stress (which I  have done) but I am not exposed like he is to so many people at his work who come in sick with everything yet he almost never gets sick.  Heck I bet it will be decades again before he gets anything.  I wouldn't bet on myself that's not been my track record.

Respected Contributor

Tsavorite:   What you are saying is absolutely true, for you and your family. But the info the OP gave was based on thousands of other stories too. All of this is put together, yours and everybody else’s, and you begin to see a very common thread of things to do to keep yourself healthy that seem to work for “most people“. 

I have done a couple of these things and it has made all the difference in the world. I reduced my carbs dramatically, I used to eat a lot of fruit and I don’t anymore. I now eat greens, raw veggies in salads instead. I eat a lot of protein and no bread or pasta. I also take Cod liver oil every day.   I can see a big difference in how I feel and the number of bugs I’ve caught. 

One thing that’s missing that surprises me is very simple, washing your hands. Whenever I leave the house, the first thing I do when I return is go to the kitchen sink and wash my hands.  Doing this gives all the rest of my things I do a better chance of succeeding.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden, I agree!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I will agree with that and for me 5 grams of pure vitamin C powder daily. I'm a firm believer in vit C. I think it is vastly under-rated, misunderstood and by far not recommended enough.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden Thanks for posting. I have incorporated much of this into my lifestyle. Just need to work on quality of sleep and eating more raw foods. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  I agree about vitamin C. Years ago in "THE INDUSTRY"  vitamin C was the big go to supplement... not talked about much anymore. 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite  Good Morning!  I agree these suggestions are just that.. suggestions and may not be the end all for everyone.  Genetics plays a HUGE  part in our health you are so right!.   But for many without the great genetics, how you live and what you eat etc can help improve your resistance to illness and disease. 

Trusted Contributor

I also am a frequent  hand-washer!!  I think that is one of the main things that keeps me from being sick.  I have been sick ONE day in the last 3 years.  I attribute it to clean hands, a multi-vitamin, and being careful not to touch many things at the grocery store!  LOL 

On the other hand, I wasn't able to "teach" my son or DH to wash hands often, so both of them get sick a couple of times a year.  And I have a sister-in-law who keeps a cold/flu/sinus problem just about all the time!  Her doc tells her that her resistance is "down"........hmmmm.

I think a lot of factors are involved in staying healthy and not getting sick.

Respected Contributor

I work at a college, and I also work out at the college gym as well as a "real" gym nearby, so you know I'm exposed to lots of germs.  My No. 1 rule is to keep my hands off my face unless I've just washed them.  I always wash my hands before I leave any gym or public place, and again first thing when I get home. 

What that scares me is that I recently heard a sneeze or cough can travel up to 20 feet!  Also, they say people can be contageous with the flu before they even have symptoms.  I always get the shot, but it's not as effective this year, and they gave it to us last September, so I wonder if it's wearing off by now.  Yikes.

Laura loves cats!