Honored Contributor

Re: 5 Die While Using Obesity Devices, FDA Says

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

If peole watch "MY 600 lb life" they think ALL overweight people sit around eating whole pizza's and donuts all day.

Might be true for some....but not all

@Nataliesgramma   You are right. And not all overweight unhealthy people are 600 pounds.  It does not take too much to put a person in the obese category....   Of course not all overweight people eat so poorly or too much like you said.... but that group is a small percentage of fat Americans today.

If you just watch at the grocery store  too many shoppers carts are full of JUNK.  It is the overweight mother pushing a cart  full of calories and bad choices and no nutrition and her kids are fat too.  Many many people like this.   Even at Costco, people  parents, kids.... jamming pizza and hot dogs down with cokes  at the food court.... cheap food but with absolutely no nutrition except calories and heart clogging ingredients.  I guess people just do not get it... then blame it on their genes... or metabolism for being fat. It is really the choices that they make. 

I really think most Americans just do not understand nutrition and are clueless as to what food is not healthy and what is healthy. They eat food for the taste alone and of course fast quick junk food tastes great.

I think ignorance leads to obesity. Starting in our schools we must start with young children and teach them about nutrition. They are not learning it at home.  Our next generation is going to be young dealing with heart disease and colon cancers as is already showing up in them today  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Being obese is not about lack of willpower or about not caring. It is not a simple matter of calories in/calories out (which is a theory now known to be wrong). There is not one simple problem causing it either. There is a lot of science out there proving medical reasons that cause the problem but fixes (non-surgical) are difficult & don't always work.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

"5 Die While Using Obesity Devices, FDA Says

At least five people have died soon after being fitted with balloons aimed at helping them lose weight, the Food and Drug Administration said Thursday."

I do not think some of these so called weight loss devices implanted are a good idea.  Why not just  walk more and count calories  and have therapy to find out the reasons you use food in the wrong way.  I bet over time these people can lose the weight without the crutch of so called " weight loss surgery".

?  I know that some people say that they are ADDICTED TO FOOD and can not  NOT OVEREAT, but I think that is a cop out.   Everyone  has the power over what they ingest and put to their lips and swallow...... it may be a very hard road  to stay in control, but to say you can not stop eating is just again a cop out.  No one is force feeding a person the wrong food and too much food. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/5-die-while-using-obesity-devices-fda-says/ar-AApQcmg...

With the deepest respect @SeaMaiden, unless you have lived your life as someone 100 pounds overweight, you are describing YOUR reactions to eating, and NOT MINE.

What I say about my eating behaviors is not a "cop out", and comments implying that if I did what you suggest I would not have an eating disorder are actually potentially hurtful to me.

If I could "stop eating" I wouldn't have had this problem for most of my adult life. I have slowly, through trial and error and a lot of honesty determined what happens when I overeat, but even that knowledge isn't always a "solution" for me.

Please consider the possibility that your perspective on super morbid obesity may not be quite what you think it is. 😉

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden,   I have to disagree with you.  No one wants to weigh 600 lbs.   That is so sad.  I believe they don't have the control to stop and as the scale keeps going up, they keep eating.  It's like anxoria in reverse.  It is very hard for those people to put food in their mouths.  

Although I don't fully embrace your idea of "control", I deeply appreciate your compassion and your desire to understand what happens in the case of morbid obesity.

Esteemed Contributor

I also think that depression can and does play a part in obesity.

One eats because they are depressed, then they gain weight which makes them more depressed, so they eat more.

It's a vicious circle.

I'm talking about clinical depression, not just having a bad day type stuff.

Also, people can be addicted to food, just like people can be addicted to alcohol, drugs, gambling, shopping, etc.

There is NO one answer that is the solution to every single obese person out there.

Honored Contributor

"I think" people just enjoy pot-stirring and offending under whatever guise they can muster. "I think" that science has nothing to do with it. Science can just be ignored, because science and research emphatically disagree with the ingredients in this particular pot. So just toss it out, why not. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I know a few people that have had stomach type surgery & they look like their circulation is not good. They look so pale.

One guy that worked with DH had to retire early after he had it done. He had diarrhea all the time. It would just run out without notice.

Respected Contributor

I have been overweight for a good part of my adult life, and I can tell you that no one chooses to be overweight. I have been on every type of diet except maybe the cabbage soup diet. I tried supplements, Atkins, slim fast, the list goes on and on. 2 years ago, I joined WW and it has changed my life. So far, I have lost and kept off 58 pounds with more to go. I went from a plus size to a normal size and that felt great. I attend weekly meetings and track my food. Do I eat perfectly? No but if I mess up I get back on track. My time in WW has taught me how to deal with everyday foods and social, emotional situations that center around food. I believe overeating problems are in the mind rather than someone being really hungry. WW addresses the emotional times in our lives, even at the holidays and how to deal with family dynamics. I love the WW program. Now about gastric bypass surgery, I am a RN and I would never consider it. I just had a friend die of complications 15 years post-op. She was 43 years old. In my career, I have seen to many patients who have had post-op complications years down the road. We had a patient die about a month ago, she was in her 50's. Others have ended up with severe pain, liver failure, feeding tubes for life, debility. If you are considering weight loss surgery, do your research. I do not want to be skinny so I can be laid out and look good at my funeral. I know that is a callous statement to make but if you have seen what I have seen, you would agree. My friend weighed 105 pounds at her death. She was only 43 years old. She has been gone 1 month now, and had been hospitalized for 5 months before her death She was completely bedbound at the time. I think a 60 minutes or dateline program should do a story and name it "Dying to be thin" Just my opinion and professional medical advice here. 

Trusted Contributor

I guess I will add my 2cents worth too!   I have never understand why we can put a man on the moon, ( the technology for this is mind boggling) yet can't help the millions of people trying to loose weight who just can't seem to take it off...be it for medical reasons or any other reasons.. I am sure the money that is made ( billions or more) off of every diet plan, fad, food, ect. ect. ect.  has much to do with it.

I have gained 50 lbs in 26 years...for my 25th wedding anniversay I was able to get into my size 10 wedding gown...for my 50 th anniversay forget it... So now I need to loose at least 30-35 lbs....being 71 and dealing with depression and health issues I sometimes just don't care anymore.  But, I know I would feel much better physically if I lost the weight.

My problem,  I need to move more and eat the right foods.   I don't really over eat, but I eat wrong...I love desserts....well, really I love all foods...(not a fan of most fruit though) but I love vegetables.....pasta and the desserts.....so for me it's eat healthy and move a lot more....will I ever do it,  I pray I will and that it is soon...

God bless all dealing with weight issues...I have been on a diet since I was 10 years old.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt wrote:

I have been overweight for a good part of my adult life, and I can tell you that no one chooses to be overweight. I have been on every type of diet except maybe the cabbage soup diet. I tried supplements, Atkins, slim fast, the list goes on and on. 2 years ago, I joined WW and it has changed my life. So far, I have lost and kept off 58 pounds with more to go. I went from a plus size to a normal size and that felt great. I attend weekly meetings and track my food.

Do I eat perfectly? No but if I mess up I get back on track. My time in WW has taught me how to deal with everyday foods and social, emotional situations that center around food. I believe overeating problems are in the mind rather than someone being really hungry. WW addresses the emotional times in our lives, even at the holidays and how to deal with family dynamics. I love the WW program.

Now about gastric bypass surgery, I am a RN and I would never consider it. I just had a friend die of complications 15 years post-op. She was 43 years old. In my career, I have seen to many patients who have had post-op complications years down the road. We had a patient die about a month ago, she was in her 50's. Others have ended up with severe pain, liver failure, feeding tubes for life, debility.

If you are considering weight loss surgery, do your research. I do not want to be skinny so I can be laid out and look good at my funeral. I know that is a callous statement to make but if you have seen what I have seen, you would agree.

My friend weighed 105 pounds at her death. She was only 43 years old. She has been gone 1 month now, and had been hospitalized for 5 months before her death She was completely bedbound at the time. I think a 60 minutes or dateline program should do a story and name it "Dying to be thin" Just my opinion and professional medical advice here. 

@conlt

Bad things happen with a lot of even "simple surgeries and/or medical procedures". I however do not see that as the norm when I have gone in for my umpteen procedures and/or surgeries. My mind functions as an optimist, but I go into each one of these with all the knowledge I can find, along with my own personal experiences.

I mentioned my wife's Roux-en-Y surgery of 2008, and for her it was/is everything both of us expected. Was it easy? Of course not, we both knew it was/is a tool, not a cure, and involved "forever" post op exercise and finding the right eating program that works for her. After a year post surgery, she was half the person she was for many years prior, and now, 9 years later, she is still at the weight she wants to be.

E.T.A.  Yes! I have been the "fat one" and one that people ask, "have you been sick", because my face is not round, I must be sick. I go along with the late Running Guru Cardiologist, Dr. George Sheehan, when he said this. "When friends tell you that you are looking good, as a distance runner, you know you are at least 10lbs. overweight.

Slim(er) face? I must be sick!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)