Regular Contributor

46 abdominal ultrasound for period issues

Hi there- ladies I’m scared. My gynecologist (who is new to me) ordered an abdominal- trans vaginal ultrasound because my period is wonky. It starts and lasts and then stops then spots a bit - 2 days later. This whole process lasts 10-13 days. I thought I might be peri menopause but according to her my hormones levels are normal. Now I’m scared. I lost my mom-years ago to breast cancer and my grandmother recently passed away. I don’t have any female relatives that I can talk to about this. This issue has been happening for about a year. Again I thought because of my age that this was supposed to be happening with periods. I am 46 years old- please don’t be harsh on me - I guess I’m wondering if you all have been through this test. When the scheduler said I had to drink a lot of water I started to panic even more — please send me your prayers.
Respected Contributor

Re: 46 abdominal ultrasound for period issues

Please stop being so harsh on yourself and stop

catastrophisizing. It is scary, take some deep breaths.

I have had the test and it is really no big deal, especially for women who have dealt with pregnancy and childbirth.

It sounds like your md is on the ball.

Please post what happens.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Contributor

I had this done about a year ago.  You have to drink lot of water in order to do the first part of the ultrasound, which lasts about 10 minutes and then you get to pee and continue the second the part of the ultrasound.  I would not have this done again, unless I really had to.  I thought it was going to be a "regular" ultrasound where they use the wand on the lower part of your pelvis, which they did do for the first part.  The second part is very invasive.  Without being too graphic, it's inserted in you.  It's very uncomfortable.  I don't want to scare you, but I am being honest.  I had this procedure done to make sure I didn't have any fibroids.

Respected Contributor

@lynbeechwood  First, I understand your fear, and I wish you all the best.  I had spotting when I was a bit younger than you are.  Went to a few doctors, had a biopsy, and no diagnosis.  Found out later that it was from endometriosis.  Which leads me to your question....

I had an ultrasound like you are having about 25 years ago.  I had ovarian cysts.  Don't be scared by the directions to drink water.  You need a full bladder to help them distinguish what they are looking at.  But, you'll be REALLY HAPPY to be done with the test and get to the bathroom!

I had surgery to remove the cysts.  It was supposed to be about 35-40 minutes.  But, they discovered all the endometrial tissue, which took 3 hours to clean out.  No more spotting!

I do understand your fear.  I had a bad mammogram in early December, which lead to an ultrasound, and ultimately a biopsy.  With the holidays, it took about six weeks to get it all done.  I was so stressed and tense.  I only discussed it with my SO and one good friend.  Every time someone else asked me how I was, I told them fine, but was so scared.  I'm lucky.  Everything is okay.  I hope you have the same outcome.  Sending hugs and best wishes.

Esteemed Contributor

It is scary isn't it?  But she is just checking.  I had this done and also a biopsy for a period that basically lasted 5 months.  Menopause is hard.

Don't worry until you have to.  

Regular Contributor

First of all do not panic(easier said than done) Though I am now 68 and last year had a complete hysterectory, at your age it may be fibroids, or many other benign things. Your hormones may be off, but when I had fibroids, my cycles were heavy and irregular. Most annoying part of the test is drinking of the water before the test, but you have to ingest a lot less than years ago. Would take a female relative/friend/colleague to be with you. The whole test takes many 10 to 15 minutes and then your MD will hopefully have a better idea of what is going on. Good luck.!

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your understanding. I’m very alone. I did have this procedure done about 10 years ago- not knowing it was internal. I’m dreading that part but also just the fear. I just don’t understand - aren’t I the age of peri menopause as well? The doctor looks at me like I’m crazy? And then I read articles that your period does change in your forties - thank you for your comments and compassion.
Honored Contributor

It is a great diagnostic tool, I had it done about 20 years ago, the water part can be scary but its not, I drank the last of the water in the car ride there.

This is routine and a great way to detect any issues.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I've had a lot of these tests done........the kind w/drinking the water at a radiologist office; then no water but done at my GYN's office. Sometimes more than one in a year. 

The ones where you drink the water are most annoying. But, in my opinion, the techs who do the test do their best to make you comfortable w/the procedure. I don't find it nearly invasive as a pelvic exam. 

Understandable that you are nervous about ALL of it.......tests and results. Please let us know what happens. 

Esteemed Contributor

46 isn't that far from 52.........they say is the average age for menopause to end the cycle.  Not trying to 'age' you sooner than Mother Nature does - but I had female problems and know some women just have more ups/downs than others.  The best peace of mind is a hysterectomy if there's concern.