Honored Contributor

Re: 🌻36 Things People With Anxiety Want Their Friends to Know🌻

@wildcat fan wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I have dealt with ill people for many years and it is my experience that people who have mental illnesses are very difficult to convince they need help and they need to help themselves. As another poster said they are very much ME ME ME oriented and not able to comprehend that they have a very negative effect on those around them. They truely do believe that it is perfectly alright to set down a list of 36 ways the rest of the world should change to adapt to them, while they make no effort at all to adapt to the rest of the world. Attempting to reason and expecting common sense is a waste of time. It is very frustrating. I don't know how people who work in the mental health fields do it, I greatly admire them.

I think if you re-read the OP, you'll see that it's not simply a list of ways the rest of the world should change.  It seemed that some of the comments showed that some people with anxiety are aware of how they have affected others.  IMO attempting to reason can be frustrating, but not a waste of time.  I also applaud people in the mental health field.  I wish there were ways to increase their services and decrease costs.  

I read that whole thing and , to me, it sounded like a person who has anxiety and depression writing an article  about their own feeling as a way to make people who feel similarly be able to feel justified. While that is just exactly what a person wants to hear it is not necessarily a good thing to tell people who have a mental illness that how they feel is ok and how they should feel. Justifying your illness does not seem like a healthy approach to it, and that is what I read in this article.

Trusted Contributor

THAT is why we are all different.   I ,myself,me,me,me, became this way.  I know it and own up to it----one of the reasons I sought therapy by different doctors.   I have a personality problem, I know what that problem is and there is NOTHING that I,myself,me,me,me can do  about it.  You see I cannot control drivers of other cars, their speed, whether their car is working perfectly, or whether they are drunk or high.  I am a chickenshout,always have been since I was very little.  I don't like wild rides of any kind.  So I think my behavior stems from self preservation.  MY problem,not anyone else's                       

I have 1Son and his Family in another state.  In order to get there I take a sleeping and muscle relaxer.  My DH doesn't have to put up with my BS.

I think it is very healthy to share opposing thoughts,and ideas.  

May we all have a Wonderful New Year with a lot of good debating and exchanging ideas with each other ------------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I have dealt with ill people for many years and it is my experience that people who have mental illnesses are very difficult to convince they need help and they need to help themselves. As another poster said they are very much ME ME ME oriented and not able to comprehend that they have a very negative effect on those around them. They truely do believe that it is perfectly alright to set down a list of 36 ways the rest of the world should change to adapt to them, while they make no effort at all to adapt to the rest of the world. Attempting to reason and expecting common sense is a waste of time. It is very frustrating. I don't know how people who work in the mental health fields do it, I greatly admire them.

I think if you re-read the OP, you'll see that it's not simply a list of ways the rest of the world should change.  It seemed that some of the comments showed that some people with anxiety are aware of how they have affected others.  IMO attempting to reason can be frustrating, but not a waste of time.  I also applaud people in the mental health field.  I wish there were ways to increase their services and decrease costs.  

I read that whole thing and , to me, it sounded like a person who has anxiety and depression writing an article  about their own feeling as a way to make people who feel similarly be able to feel justified. While that is just exactly what a person wants to hear it is not necessarily a good thing to tell people who have a mental illness that how they feel is ok and how they should feel. Justifying your illness does not seem like a healthy approach to it, and that is what I read in this article.

Do you include yourself in the group of ".....people who have a mental illness" or the people who don't? It's always been my personal observation and experience that considering ALL people as part of a continuum of behaviors, thoughts, and conduct provides EVERYONE with a more even playing field.

Labeling for the sake of labeling creates a "them-us" paradigm that just doesn't get anyone anywhere.

It is possible too, to be someone who "....has anxiety....." without being someone who has a "....a mental illness.....".

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Do you include yourself in the group of ".....people who have a mental illness" or the people who don't? It's always been my personal observation and experience that considering ALL people as part of a continuum of behaviors, thoughts, and conduct provides EVERYONE with a more even playing field.

Labeling for the sake of labeling creates a "them-us" paradigm that just doesn't get anyone anywhere.

It is possible too, to be someone who "....has anxiety....." without being someone who has a "....a mental illness.....".

Anxiety is a mental illness - a treatable mental illness. 

Honored Contributor

Clarify the relationship of my statement to yours, if you care to.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@dooBdoo I cannot thank you enough for posting this.

I was consumed with anxiety taking care of my elderly parents and working a high stress job with goofy hours but being the person that I am I just kept pushing through it as I didn't have the knowledge or the resources to help me realize and understand what was happening to me.  I just kept smiling and moving forward.

I so hope everyone that is reading these posts and perhaps recognizes themselves in some even small way stop and reach out to those that can help them work through what is happening to them/what they are feeling.  I'll be the first to admit I wish I did.

mtc I don't know if you have posted about this here before, but I walked in your shoes for 5 1/2 years, and it's taken me almost that long to get over the experience.

Don't blame yourself for ANYTHING! Give yourself credit for trying to run faster when you   

were so tired you could barely take a step!

Lots of these tips were what I wish I'd known enough to say then! Great that they were helpful to you!

Valued Contributor

Excellent post.