Esteemed Contributor

Re: 30 minute walk? does it matter at all?

[ Edited ]
  1. @SilleeMee 

@SilleeMee wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

@SilleeMee 

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes and the benefits are cumulative meaning the exercise you do today will be good for you later on in life.

You hit the nail on the head.   I started at age at age 24.  Today, 62 years later, I still am going strong.  Never stopped all these years.  Started after 1st child born, although I walked during pregnancy.  

That child is 62.  Second child is 60 Third child is 58.  They have all been exercising for years.

In my case, I still do plenty of exercise each day n very strong.

Whatever you can do is beneficial in later years.  People can,t believe i,m 86 this year.  Thank God I  kept at it all these years.

@qvcaddition 

Good for you!! So glad you have kept up on staying strong. I hope to do the same as you and so far I'm trying.Woman Happy

Please, don,t ever give up.   I live alone.  Clean my own house, do all my own gardening and I have big yards. Today and tomorrow,  I will be trimming 2 cypress trees .  I try not to get up on ladder, so I have a pretty good long step stool with wide steps.  

The Dr. said, all the years of exercise helped.  I get in 2.5 hours a day aside from other chores.

Again, please don,t give up, then getting up in years, will not be a burden for you.I

The end still comes whenever, but the quality of your life is better.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Or you can smoke and not exercise and eat sweets and live to 99.

One never knows and it isn't something to put you in a funk thinking you'll die tomorrow if you don't do it.

I'll get beat up for this, but it's what I've seen in my long-lived experience. Next door neighbor died in his 50's on a walk.  The moral of the story is you could increase your odds but none of us call the shots. 

Both of my Grandmother's lived until their 90's.  One was all about health, healthy eating and living.  The other smoked and ate nothing but candy bars all day every day until she passed away.  It is amazing when some can do just fine on grease chocolate and cigarettes and other's can pass away early doing all the right stuff.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

One never knows and it isn't something to put you in a funk thinking you'll die tomorrow if you don't do it.

I'll get beat up for this, but it's what I've seen in my long-lived experience. Next door neighbor died in his 50's on a walk.  The moral of the story is you could increase your odds but none of us call the shots. 

Both of my Grandmother's lived until their 90's.  One was all about health, healthy eating and living.  The other smoked and ate nothing but candy bars all day every day until she passed away.  It is amazing when some can do just fine on grease chocolate and cigarettes and other's can pass away early doing all the right stuff.

You are right.  I still find and I don't eat right all the time, but the exercise has nothing to do with death. We are all going someday, so enjoy what suits you.  Excerise makes you enjoy your old age better and feel good about yourself.  Everyone has to do what makes them happy, but I would get sick and the bones would hurt with all the sugar.  Today, i will have my cake and enjoy it, but it's not an everyday thing.  The only meds I'm on is thyroid.  I enjoy a brandy at times or a glass of wine.  Popcorn is my drug of choice.

Do what you have to do, but get a good walk in if you can.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@beckyb1012 

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

You are right.  I still find and I don't eat right all the time, but the exercise has nothing to do with death. We are all going someday, so enjoy what suits you.  Excerise makes you enjoy your old age better and feel good about yourself.  Everyone has to do what makes them happy, but I would get sick and the bones would hurt with all the sugar.  Today, i will have my cake and enjoy it, but it's not an everyday thing.  The only meds I'm on is thyroid.  I enjoy a brandy at times or a glass of wine.  Popcorn is my drug of choice.

Do what you have to do, but get a good walk in if you can.

I bike ride three hours everyday so I can eat ICE CREAM every night!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 

While your 2 grandmother's lived long lives! I am thinking their journeys were much different. The 1 you mentioned about health, healthy eating, and the most important word, living! Pretty much sums it up for me.

If 1 person's idea of "living" is breathing and eating? No problem with them to me. Most who do as the healthy one, generally have a much more enjoyable journey.

All comes back to the same thing. What kind of journey one chooses early in their lives, can have a large effect on how they are able to live the later years of their journey. For me, my choice worked and is still working just fine for me.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

For most of my adult life I've been an avid hiker and mountaineer here in Colorado. But since I got covid back in 2020 I can no longer go on long hikes especially at the higher altitudes on high mountain trails. I'm devastated. Things about my health have changed so much for me since I got sick but it's getting better. Just taking too long! 

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach   They do say 30 minutes now.  They used to say 20 minutes so I just go by how I'm feeling.  Sometimes, when I go 30 my hips will hurt. It's kind of just "my best guess" that day!

Trusted Contributor

I'm old enough to have lived way before people began going to the gym in their designer duds. Only gym we had back then was the Y. The term jogging had not yet been invented. Funny how much slimmer people were back then. We walked everywhere and never fought anyone for a parking spot closest to the door. We rode bikes and teens certainly did not own their own cars. Cutting the grass, painting the house, washing windows, washing the car, etc etc.....all done by us, we, ourselves. No van pulling in driveways to groom the dog or deliver groceries, and certainly no fast food joints and Starbucks. Today we're a bunch of "waiting to be waited on" folks, and our obesity rate is astounding.  Our culture is based on entertainment, not a work ethic. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant 

Sounds like you know your body when it is telling you something. And best of all you are listening to it. Good for you.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Helen Bach ,I’m not sure about 30 minutes being the optimum or not but any daily physical exercise is better than nothing. 😊 Daily is the operative word tho. So stick with it! You will notice over time that your stamina is increasing and your body doesn’t have to work as hard. Your breathing won’t be as labored and you’ll notice your speed has increased especially on inclines like small hills. So, yes you’ll know you ARE making progress toward being healthier.