Honored Contributor

Re: 30 minute walk? does it matter at all?

@Drythe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@millieshops Again I'll say no guarantees.  

@Sooner 

True, there are no guarantees - either way.

There is however, Quality v/s Quantity.

@Drythe Not sure what the point there is, but it is one of those issues that people are often unable to see more than their own beliefs about. . . 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@millieshops Again I'll say no guarantees.  

@Sooner 

@Drythe Not sure what the point there is, but it is one of those issues that people are often unable to see more than their own beliefs about. . . 

@Sooner 

Isn’t that the truth? ...

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Or you can smoke and not exercise and eat sweets and live to 99.

One never knows and it isn't something to put you in a funk thinking you'll die tomorrow if you don't do it.

I'll get beat up for this, but it's what I've seen in my long-lived experience. Next door neighbor died in his 50's on a walk.  The moral of the story is you could increase your odds but none of us call the shots. 

@Sooner 

Not from me, honey.  The time, place & manner of our death is totally p to the sovereignty of God, regardless of how we live.  Now, off to eat my cheeseburger and macaroni/potato salad.  It's SurfDaddy's birthday!!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

DH insists it's getting out there and moving that really counts. I always thought one needs to get their heart rate up (a little!) to reap the full benefit.

In any event, we start out together, but then go at our own paces.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Helen Bach  I personally think it matters even though it may not  add one day to  my life.  I just want to feel good while I live, and in my case, I see a big difference in how I feel when I'm walking then when I'm not.  Once is a while I get away from it but I always come back to it because  I know it gives me a better quality of life......at least at this stage of my life it does.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

DH insists it's getting out there and moving that really counts.

"I always thought one needs to get their heart rate up (a little!) to reap the full benefit."

@Harpa 

And you would be absolutely correct. All human heart rates go higher with weight bearing movement as opposed to sitting. How high is up to one knowing their health history, and their overall fitness goal(s). Make sure your doctor approves if you plan on going higher than your Aerobic Level Age Related Heart Rate.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I don't care when I croak as I see it as going from one car to another one, but I did ask if 30 minutes makes a difference, meaning should I shoot for more...even though I'm lucky to be walking at all.  I feel like I'm not pushing myself enough but I guess that's a personal issue of always trying to "Do More".  Thanks to everyone for your responses and remember to be here now

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Sooner 

@Drythe 

I can't recall myself saying anything different than your above words.Been talking on this Wellness Forum on these topics for many years. 

I have never said anything close to "living longer" by following what you know makes you feel better. Many when they reach a certain age, start to look at their lives differently. With that they decide to focus more on themselves and work towards feeling better physically and mentally.

Most of my adult life has been focused on physical fitness. That is partially because I competed in team and individual sports. Time training not only is a necessity to reach your body's full potential, along with that comes the mental aspect of just plain old feeling good, or as I say "great", when asked.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I can never remember looking at my "future life". Even in grade school my thoughts were never about the long term future, but more about the life i was living then, and with short term goals.

Didn't get a grade school diploma(had to go to summer school), and the quitting high school twice I have said here often. Applied the same to my life, never looking at final numbers, just on the present, and the very short term future.

Been through the worst both physically and mentally, and also the best of both of the same. 

Would I suggest others follow my example of life? Definitely not! My way worked for me because I worked for it. Retiring at an early age and living the life I wanted to live then, and now.

The journey versus the destination? The destination will come, when it comes. The journey will come 1 day at a time, and my plan is to do the things I have learned to have worked best for me, to make my optimum journey.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee 

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes and the benefits are cumulative meaning the exercise you do today will be good for you later on in life.

You hit the nail on the head.   I started at age at age 24.  Today, 62 years later, I still am going strong.  Never stopped all these years.  Started after 1st child born, although I walked during pregnancy.  

That child is 62.  Second child is 60 Third child is 58.  They have all been exercising for years.

In my case, I still do plenty of exercise each day n very strong.

Whatever you can do is beneficial in later years.  People can,t believe i,m 86 this year.  Thank God I  kept at it all these years.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@SilleeMee 

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes and the benefits are cumulative meaning the exercise you do today will be good for you later on in life.

You hit the nail on the head.   I started at age at age 24.  Today, 62 years later, I still am going strong.  Never stopped all these years.  Started after 1st child born, although I walked during pregnancy.  

That child is 62.  Second child is 60 Third child is 58.  They have all been exercising for years.

In my case, I still do plenty of exercise each day n very strong.

Whatever you can do is beneficial in later years.  People can,t believe i,m 86 this year.  Thank God I  kept at it all these years.

@qvcaddition 

Good for you!! So glad you have kept up on staying strong. I hope to do the same as you and so far I'm trying.Woman Happy