Super Contributor

Re: 30 minute walk? does it matter at all?

Last day of Jan. so I upped the walk to 45 minutes! I must have improving stamina in order for me to do that, because 30 minutes had me huf-n-puffin at the beginning of Jan.  Now the fit bit annoys me a little, but also encourges me to do more. Maybe by summer I can walk an hour, maybe not. Depends if my legs can take it but so far they are carrying me

Esteemed Contributor

@Helen Bach wrote:

Last day of Jan. so I upped the walk to 45 minutes! I must have improving stamina in order for me to do that, because 30 minutes had me huf-n-puffin at the beginning of Jan.  Now the fit bit annoys me a little, but also encourges me to do more. Maybe by summer I can walk an hour, maybe not. Depends if my legs can take it but so far they are carrying me

Well done! I think you managed increased movement very nicely. When you try to do too much too soon it can burn you out and/or leave you feeling too sore to move. I applaud you for taking it slow and steady. Also, the minutes count even if you do in more than 1 session. So maybe in spring/summer when it's light out longer in day, do a morning walk and then an afternoon walk?

I only add this because it's what I've done myself. I've been running about 40 minutes or so a day 5x a week for years. This year, by my 65th birthday I want to run one more marathon. So I've slowly been adding up the minutes over the last few months. I'm up to 90 minutes a day at least 6 x a week. I need to get to 2 hours by end of March at least once or twice a week. Seems like a long time, but I'm going to do like you, slow and steady.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

I hope so. It is what I do. Some days somewhat more.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It matters to me!.    Docs and physical therapists have all advised - remain active.   

My mother had rather bad arthritis and by not remaining active - eventually wasn't able to walk at all - ended up in a wheel chair.   I definitely do not want to end up the same way. 

I have an "advantage."  I don't drive and live in the city where I can get just about anywhere by walking.   Because of the snow storm, I was stuck indoors for two days - I really needed to get out  today!   Felt so much better after out doing all my errands.

Under normal weather conditions - I'm outside - walking somewhere - every day.

Esteemed Contributor

Most reputable medical doctors, and more specifically, Sports Medicine Doctors, agree. 

"The human body does not wear out, it rusts out"!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

A friend of mine commented that they should rename "the golden years" .... "the rusty years"!

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@hckynutjohn 

A friend of mine commented that they should rename "the golden years" .... "the rusty years"!

@ALRATIBA 

I have a few friends that say "and these, are the golden years"? Who the he!! made up that bs. These are friends I met from Auto Racing, not from Running Races. They are about my age, chronologically, but?? Not the same as my more active 80+ year old friends.

Guess I go back to this one: "The Grass Always Looks Greener on the Other Side". When young, retirement is just a pipe dream, and many say "how lucky those old foggies are". Then they are me and it's the "and these are the golden years"? 😢

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

It's like Neil Young said "Rust Never Sleeps"