Honored Contributor

Re: 30 minute walk? does it matter at all?

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@Sooner   so true.  Statistics for anything tell us averages, but they can't isolate individuals.  But, since the statistics give a big advantage to those who do exercise and eat more carefully, I am trying for that advantage.   Perfection might do the most, but something less still gives an advantage.  Genetics, stress, and other factors we may not be able to control determine the rest.

Sad to say, I didn't get somewhat smart until I was almost 75, so I am unlikely to match Betty White's long life, but over 5 years later, I am healthier now than then

@millieshops NOT that I am accusing this thread or anyone here of doing this, but I am just saying the people I know in my family who lived longest, 92 and 99 range, didn't do any of this.  I'm just saying people need to live their own lives, make decisions based on their own life and not worry a lot about things they may not be able to do.  Each person has to decide how to live for themselves.  

And that there are no guarantees.  Just saying that in this day and age for sure. . . Some can't exercise much, don't have a safe place to walk, etc.  So if you can't don't just think it makes you doomed.  

People decide where to go and what to do and it's all vastly different for all of us.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner    People do make their own decisions, but overall, denying statistics can be very dangerous.  You know people who did so and lived longer than average -  I had two relatives who, averaged with those you knew, lowered the average into the mid-seventies. 

Nowadays we hear story after story from people on their deathbed lamenting they ignored various percentages.  They made their own decisions, but like  both my father and older brother, those decisions most likely took a decade or two from their lives. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops Again I'll say no guarantees.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree, don't you have a knee replacement?  I thought I'd read that a vibrating plate wasn't good with hip/knee replacements 🤷🏼‍♀️

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@millieshops Again I'll say no guarantees.  

I know, there's no guarantee of anything except death. In the meantime I exercise every day, I was the only one that did, and I have slowly but surely outlived everyone in my family. 

There are people at both sides of the statistical curve, but there is a whole pot-full of people in the middle who have exercised for years, and their quality of life is a whole lot better. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Sooner What you say is true, if you're only hoping to add years to your life. None of us know what our expiration date is, regardless of precautions taken. We do know, though, for most of us, that we can improve our odds and feel better doing so.

I walk 1-3 miles every morning, depending on the weather. I don't care if I get the advantage of extended life. I just want to feel better with whatever life I have left. If for some reason I can't walk for even two days, I start to feel increasingly tired, with activities of daily living becoming a chore. My walks energize me, mentally and physically.

I also feel crummy and lethargic if I don't stick with my healthy diet and begin eating junk foods, or take out. Of course, it leads to immediate bloating and weight gain, too. It's never worth falling off the wagon.

Also, exercise is a natural antidepressant, often as effective as meds for some depressive states. So some type of exercise plan is a win-win situation, with multiple advantages for everyone. 

I want to ditto what @BlueFinch writes ... getting outdoors and moving will help your mental state as well as your physical well being. There are studies galore that indicate some sort of physical activity for 20 - 30 minutes 4-5 x a week, will be beneficial. After a while, it really does just become a part of your daily routine ... like making the bed and doing dishes ... it's just something you do.

Give yourself 14 days to start a routine. Then when you get to 14 days, say okay I'm going to shoot for 7 more days. Then you may as well go for the entire month. Pretty soon, it's just what you do for yourself.

Good luck w/ your 2022 goals.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

Yes, of course, it all adds up. Consitancey is the key, give it two months, you will start seeing and feeling the difference. 

Respected Contributor

Congrats to you, @Helen Bach , when walking with MS can be a real effort.  I expect it will increase your physical strength, as long as you get sufficient rest, and give you a mental boost.  Let us know how it works for you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Exercise is not just for increasing longevity but for feeling better while you're here. That's what I'm going for. 

I'd rather take my chance that I'm a statistic and the not the exception with regard to following a healthy lifestyle.

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach, I know that you said you don't like biking but a recumbent bike could be a good alternative to walking in case you have MS-related balance issues.