Super Contributor

30 minute walk? does it matter at all?

Happy New Year everyone.  My resolution is a "brisk" 30 minute walk a day, and to eat more vegetables.

I happen to have multiple sclerosis and have trouble walking fast and forget about jogging.  I hate to swim and ride a bike so walking it is.  It's just that I'm thinking it's not enough to make any difference to my health.  Does anyone know for sure.  I've already checked with google...

The veggies have been easy. Throw them on a sheetpan and roast. Yum

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 30 minute walk? does it matter at all?

Yes, it will make a difference. Most heath professionals agree 30 minutes of brisk walking at least three to five days a week is beneficial to your health. I do 50 minutes at least five days a week and I feel great. 

Honored Contributor

Any exercise makes a difference. You could even break it up into two 15 minute walks if that makes it more manageable with your MS. 

Honored Contributor

Yes and the benefits are cumulative meaning the exercise you do today will be good for you later on in life.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Helen Bach  Just getting out in the open air will do you good. I would suggest you not put in the ear buds. Listen to the sounds around you. Say Hi to your neighbors. If the weather is bad you can find a Leslie Sansone walking video on You Tube to get your juices flowing. It may help your physical health, and it will certainly help your mental health. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes! Consistency is, apparently, key. You inspire me to do the same.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely, yes it helps everything function better in your body!  Do what you can- If you are able to add a little more, great. But if not, that's still good!  👏🏼👏🏼💕🙏 Best wishes for continued good health.

Super Contributor

Yes! As long as you walk consistently. I walk 30 minutes 4-5 times a week. I'll walk a little further if I feel like it. I find that my stamina is good and I can have more fun with my family in my retirement. I was more sedentary when I was working. 
My youngest son has MS. The more active he is, the better. Your body will tell you when you need to take a day off. I wish you well. 

Super Contributor

Absolutely,  I am 70 and at 68 retired from my "second career" after the children left!

I walk 30 minutes everyday unless it rains.  With walking and riding my inside bike along with diet changes, simple ones, no more white flour, red meat or soda, I lost 20 pounds and my blood work is normal, finally.  I found it difficult to concentrate on my health while working, unfortunately.  Now my health is my job.  I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables now and cook healthier, even make my own breakfast bars.

Honored Contributor

Or you can smoke and not exercise and eat sweets and live to 99.

One never knows and it isn't something to put you in a funk thinking you'll die tomorrow if you don't do it.

I'll get beat up for this, but it's what I've seen in my long-lived experience. Next door neighbor died in his 50's on a walk.  The moral of the story is you could increase your odds but none of us call the shots.