Respected Contributor

Re: 30 Worst Foods For Your Heart

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden

I drink low-sodium V-8 juice often, sometimes spiced up with hot sauce and a bit of Worcestershire.  Here's why I'm a V-8 fan and have been for years, and why I would disregard any so-called list of "worst foods" that includes it.........

Look beyond the sodium content on the label and consider  the high potassium content. 

Sodium causes cell walls to draw in and retain water. Potassium causes water to flow out of cells.  (This is an over-simplified explanation of how the human body works, but I think you get the idea.)  A balance between the two, or slight excess balance of potassium, isn't all bad for your blood pressure or your weight.

Athletes used to be told to swallow salt tablets because of heavy perspiration during workouts and games.  This could seriously affect their blood potassium levels.  These days, so-called "sports drinks" such as Gatorade are supplied because they contain a more favorable balance of essential electrolytes, including sodium and potassium.

I don't worry about consuming an 8-oz glass of low-sodium V-8 juice when it contains 6 percent of the recommended daily amount of sodium but a whopping 26 percent of daily recommended potassium.  Also happen to like the taste!

Cottage cheese is indeed heavy on sodium, but if eaten with fruit (which is the only way I can tolerate it), the fruit potassium can help mitigate the sodium content.

Honored Contributor

In reference to additives and nutrient loss in factory canned foods;  I told my nutrition classes "When you can it, you kill it!!!".

Honored Contributor

Instead of canned/bottled/processed V8 juice, why not just eat the vegetables for potassium?    

Just 6 oz of raw spinach has the same amt of potassium & 1/2 the calories than V8, but raw spinach has so many other vitamins/minerals.

Another benefit of raw is the chewing, which increases the nitric oxide which helps the endothelium...all which is lost in a processed drink.  Even a blended homemade spinach drink is better than the factory made V8.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Instead of canned/bottled/processed V8 juice, why not just eat the vegetables for potassium?    

Just 6 oz of raw spinach has the same amt of potassium & 1/2 the calories than V8, but raw spinach has so many other vitamins/minerals.

Another benefit of raw is the chewing, which increases the nitric oxide which helps the endothelium...all which is lost in a processed drink.  Even a blended homemade spinach drink is better than the factory made V8.

Maybe people don't like the taste of those things raw so the V8 is better than nothing?   

Super Contributor

Regarding rice:

Women who eat more white bread, white rice, pizza, and other carbohydrate-rich foods that cause blood sugar to spike are more than twice as likely to develop heart disease than women who eat less of those foods, a new study suggests.

Men who eat lots of those carbohydrates -- which have what's known as a high glycemic index -- do not have the same increased risk, however, perhaps because their bodies process the carbs differently

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/12/glycemic.diet.heart/

Based on personal experience in my family, my mother developed heart disease after being diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes.  She was a big white rice eater.

Honored Contributor

@AnotherView2 wrote:

Regarding rice:

Women who eat more white bread, white rice, pizza, and other carbohydrate-rich foods that cause blood sugar to spike are more than twice as likely to develop heart disease than women who eat less of those foods, a new study suggests.

Men who eat lots of those carbohydrates -- which have what's known as a high glycemic index -- do not have the same increased risk, however, perhaps because their bodies process the carbs differently

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/12/glycemic.diet.heart/

Based on personal experience in my family, my mother developed heart disease after being diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes.  She was a big white rice eater.

@AnotherView2

I was the poster talking about white rice.  In regards to your mother, I'm betting 99.99% she didn't eat white plain without any adornment.  As for blaming white rice for T2/heart disease?  Nope..it was probably the adds which caused her T2/heart disease....oil, butter, dairy, meat.

High glycemic index is a measuring tool that MANY people have misread....especially those in the diabetic/LCHF world.     A handful of carrots have a higher GI than a Snickers bar.   Anyone would say carrots, full of fiber-vitamins-minerals are a better nutritional choice than a candy w/ trans/saturated fats, processed sugars & lots of calories.  

Even Dr. David Jenkins, creator of the mentioned Glycemic Index, has said a low glycemic food can be low for the wrong reasons.  I can eat fragrant Jasmine white rice w/ fruit, mixed vegetables, lentils & greens throughout the day.  I'm eating a higher GI food for the right reasons by accompanying it w/ other foods rich in vitamins/minerals/fiber. 

Here's a video of Dr. Jenkins explaining (btw: he promotes a plant based diet for health & environmental well being):

http://youtu.be/PyxfTGq42VQ

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

White rice?  

Naaaaa.

Yes, brown is better, but white rice is not considered 'bad for your heart' food.  What most people put ON the white rice is probably bad for your heart, but alone, nope.

I can go for days eating nothing but white, Jasmine rice, fruit, beans & veg...anywhere from 2-6 cups of cooked white rice per day.   Trim, fit, healthy.  Love my carbs! #Starchivore

Unfortunately, white rice is just plain starch with no nutrients.   This isn't new information.

Personally, I've always been a low sodium gal ... never liked the taste of it.   However, every once in a while I'll get a few slices of Boar's Head low sodium roast beef ... low sodium can be delicious!

Respected Contributor

What is blended coffee?  Is that a latte?

I eat a few of those on the list, but most of the time I eat healthier choices.