Esteemed Contributor

Re: 3 cases of COVID in fully vaccinated in Hawaii. I have questions.

@Mindy D wrote:

@LuvmyLab wrote:

Being vaccinated against covid does not mean you will never contract it.  It is just like the flu, you get vaccinated every year but there is no guarantee that you won't contract it. If you do, the case will be less severe, and the symptoms not as bad but you can still get it. Same as covid. I read that the covid vaccine may become an annual vaccine like the flu.

@LuvmyLab @It could even be semi annual. This will greatly depend on the amount and speed of persons vaccinated here and worldwide. The quicker we are all vaccinated the less chances there are for variants unresponsive to vaccines to emerge. 

@Mindy D 

I've been very pro-vaccine all along, but I have to say that I would be nervous about taking one of the new mRNA vaccines twice a year.  I'd worry about what effects that might have on my body, doing it so often.  At that point I might feel better with the more conventional J&J vaccine.  Just musing.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

I realize everyone has different opinions regarding getting vaccinated. I'm not here to fuss. That being said, covid vaccine does give us a fighting chance. As a nurse told me - keeping us out of hospital and off ventilater.

Lost a family friend last week to covid. Young grandmother who had asthma challenges. So sad. Hubs had covid in October. He landed in hospital two days last week -- shortness of breath after exercise. Post covid symptoms. He's on heart meds now. Not sure for how long.

Whatever we can do to stay safe and keep others safe is what I'll be doing. Stay healthy, good people.       

@jeanlake 

Your DH is a good example of the problem with the statistics.  People like him are listed as "recovered" because the virus didn't kill them, but they may be left with lifelong health problems.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw Larry Gatlin from the Gatlin brothers today on tv saying he got the vaccine then two days later got the virus. 

Trusted Contributor

@Lali1 @Not sure of course but this sounds as though he was infected shortly before getting the vaccine, then was tested afterwards upon developing symptoms

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags Good point. My kids think their dad has 'fog brain.' That's what they call it. Hospital gave him lasix to drain fluid from his lungs and heart. He's lost 24 pounds since last fall - about 10 lbs underweight now. Today he said he feels better than he has in a long time. We're staying hopeful for gradual improvement.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting this.

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

What?!

64 million people have received at least 1 shot and 3 vaccinated people got Covid?

Shut it down.  It's not working 

More than three people have been reported to have gotten covid who have gotten the shot.

Not sure why the need to be snarky. 

Valued Contributor

It's hard to put this type of information into perspective  because when these cases are reported, there is no  accompanying information that detailed how the patients discovered that they had acquired the COVID virus, and at what point in time after their injections.

The injections are not going to stop one from getting the virus, but hopefully limit its impact if one does. I personally think we as a nation are a ways off from a return 'to normal life'. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that was sarcasm.  @happycat 

Respected Contributor

@Xivambala I know I am.  That is why I am happy @Mindy D  and others post info.

I am busy reading polls about who is inclined to take the vaccine and who isn't.  I'll create a profile of who to avoid.  Of course, my profile won't be 100% but it will help.  Unvaccinated people will be considered potentially dangerous until further notice.