Honored Contributor

Re: 3 cases of COVID in fully vaccinated in Hawaii. I have questions.

[ Edited ]

@LuvmyLab wrote:

Being vaccinated against covid does not mean you will never contract it.  It is just like the flu, you get vaccinated every year but there is no guarantee that you won't contract it. If you do, the case will be less severe, and the symptoms not as bad but you can still get it. Same as covid. I read that the covid vaccine may become an annual vaccine like the flu.

@LuvmyLab @It could even be semi annual. This will greatly depend on the amount and speed of persons vaccinated here and worldwide. The quicker we are all vaccinated the less chances there are for variants unresponsive to vaccines to emerge. 

Respected Contributor

What?!

64 million people have received at least 1 shot and 3 vaccinated people got Covid?

Shut it down.  It's not working 

Respected Contributor

If memory serves, there were eight people in one of the Pfizer study groups who contracted COVID, too. But, when numbers were totaled and averaged, it was considered an insignificant amount, that did not lower the efficacy of the vaccine. Plus, I don't believe any of these individuals became seriously ill, which is what we're going after. Will this change with the birth of new variants? Possibly. Only time will tell. 

Frankly, right now, I worry more about proper storage of the vaccine, with proper administration and dosing (yes, there have been errors) that can affect vaccine efficacy. If there is illness following the vaccine, all factors would need to be looked at.

The immunity acquired depends on the individual, too. Some may not gain as much protection. I remember taking my hospital required Hepatitis vaccine series (2 doses months apart), only to develop NO titers. Zero. How could that be? I had to take the series again (argh) and developed some titers, but very little and questionably protective. We never knew why. We're very complicated, individual beings, regardless of how many ways we're all alike.  

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D I was actually thinking about this subject earlier today but I never took the time to google it.  Thanks for posting about it. 

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Not surprising. 

Two times I got the flu about 1 month after receiving the vaccine.  They were much worse than anytime I had the flu when I didn't get the vaccine even though we are told the symptoms wouldn't be as bad.  

So, I don't believe everything I hear.  

So far the vaccine is iffy.  How long will immunity last, as well?  Some are saying 3-6 months just like the flu vaccine, but no one knows at this point.  

Studies on these vaccines are ongoing and rightly so.  Look at the form signed before the vaccine is given.  It says they are experimental.  

@Foxxee 

The only times I got the flu were when I got the vaccination.  Since I am immunglobulin-deficient, my immunologist/hematologists have told me not to get the vaccine because I never had flu until I got the vax and had it every time --- once I had it twice in on season and the danger was giving it to my husband whose health is fragile.

Esteemed Contributor

I realize everyone has different opinions regarding getting vaccinated. I'm not here to fuss. That being said, covid vaccine does give us a fighting chance. As a nurse told me - keeping us out of hospital and off ventilater.

Lost a family friend last week to covid. Young grandmother who had asthma challenges. So sad. Hubs had covid in October. He landed in hospital two days last week -- shortness of breath after exercise. Post covid symptoms. He's on heart meds now. Not sure for how long.

Whatever we can do to stay safe and keep others safe is what I'll be doing. Stay healthy, good people.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

Being vaccinated against covid does not mean you will never contract it.  It is just like the flu, you get vaccinated every year but there is no guarantee that you won't contract it. If you do, the case will be less severe, and the symptoms not as bad but you can still get it. Same as covid. I read that the covid vaccine may become an annual vaccine like the flu.

Let's say probably will be less severe.  There are no guarantees.

Honored Contributor

It appears the original questions were answered and so perhaps the key is to wait for futher disclosure before sounding the alarm.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I believe we've all known for some time that the vaccines would not be perfect but, for now, they're what we have, and I, for one, will take what I can get, hoping for more effective treatments and vaccines to arrive.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Not surprising. 

Two times I got the flu about 1 month after receiving the vaccine.  They were much worse than anytime I had the flu when I didn't get the vaccine even though we are told the symptoms wouldn't be as bad.  

So, I don't believe everything I hear.  

So far the vaccine is iffy.  How long will immunity last, as well?  Some are saying 3-6 months just like the flu vaccine, but no one knows at this point.  

Studies on these vaccines are ongoing and rightly so.  Look at the form signed before the vaccine is given.  It says they are experimental.  

@Foxxee 

I keep reading similar statements on these forums.  I got the Moderna vaccine at a pharmacy and signed no such form.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett