Honored Contributor

3 Servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit for longevity. New study.

[ Edited ]

Researchers studying how much of a good thing is the best amount to eat for long life have found that the best results were obtained from the consumption of two daily servings of fruit and three of vegetables. Only particular vegetables had the effect of increased longevity. Green leafy vegetables (eq. spinach, lettuce), cruciferous  vegetables (eq. broccoli, cauliflower,etc.)  Starchy vegetables such as potatoes and intake of fruit juices did not have the same effect. There are more details about these results in the study, published in "Circulation".

Quoted from the study:

"Intakes of most fruit and vegetable subgroups, including green leafy vegetables, nonstarchy vegetables, cruciferous vegetables, citrus fruit, vitamin C–rich and β-carotene–rich fruit and vegetables, were inversely associated with total mortality. whereas a higher intake of starchy vegetables was not associated with a lower risk of mortality. Intakes of fruit juices and potatoes were not associated." 
Intake of peas and corn were also not associated.

✅For very quick overview, just read the "Abstract", especially the "Results" in the full study below. 

Free full study:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiD0Orkv6bvAhUBVc0KHYsVCnQQ...

Circulation. 2021;143:00–00. DOI: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.048996

"Fruit and Vegetable Intake and Mortality: Results From 2 Prospective Cohort Studies of US Men and Women and a Meta-Analysis of 26 Cohort Studies", by Wang, Yanping, Bhupathiraju, Rosner, Sun, Giobannucci, Rimm, Manson, Willett, Stampfer, Hu.
Originally publishedhttps://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.048996Circulation. ;0

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 3 Servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit for longevity. New study.

@Mindy D  Wow! That doesn't seem like enough fruits and veggies. I certainly eat more than that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Veggies without starches...we eat plenty. Only for a treat once in awhile DH & I will split a potato when it fits into our macros count for the day. We have salads for dinner 3-4 days a week. The other dinners will have a veggie too. I'll usually have broccoli and DH will have beans.

As for fruit...juices are out for us...period. We have a very small list of fruits we eat...a few varieties of berries, and if we have an apple, DH and I will split one for lunch with an open faced sandwich made with flax seed bread we get special ordered from CA that has low carbs. We order 6 loaves at a time and freeze them. One loaf will last us 4-6 weeks.

We will also share a serving of Cuties (1 serving is 2) once in awhile when we have eggs & bacon or sausage for lunch. This Sunday on our menu plan we'll be having keto waffles with sliced strawberries and home made keto whipped cream made with heavy whipping cream.

We do this for our health to keep our blood sugar levels normal along with keeping other health issues at bay. Everyone has to do what works for them. This works for us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Quoted from Wikipedia, here are some vegetables from the non starch vegetable list, the cruciferous vegetable list.

Cruciferous vegetables  such as
cauliflower, cabbage, kale, garden cress, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and similar green leaf vegetables

Non-starchy vegetables are vegetables that contain a lower proportion of carbohydrates and caloriescompared to their starchy counterparts. Thus, for the same calories, one can eat a larger quantity of non-starchy vegetables compared to smaller servings of starchy vegetables.

This list may not be complete[1][2][3]

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Cruciferous vegetables  such as cauliflower, cabbage, kale, garden cress, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and similar green leaf vegetables

@Mindy D  We have kale in all of our salads. DH grows it hydroponically in our basement along with several lettuces, radishes,etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mindy D  Wow! That doesn't seem like enough fruits and veggies. I certainly eat more than that.

@PA Mom-mom @The study did not find that eating more than five servings; three veggies and two fruits, is bad for you. It just found that more than five didn't help you live any longer than eating five does.

Honored Contributor

I eat a lot of non starchy vegetables every day , but admit that I don't eat much fruit.  I really don't care too much for it.  When I eat it,  it is usually an apple, pineapple or mango.

Berries are actually a better choice, but they don't turn my taste buds on.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds about right.  Perhaps I am heavier on the fruits in summer, but could resist?

I do large, mixed veggie salads more often than cooked too.  Easier.

Super Contributor

I eat 3 or more servings of vegetables a day, but I would not say I always have two servings of fruit.  

Honored Contributor

I eat fresh fruit and veggies but probably not enough. So I add a fruit and veg concentrate powder drink ( aka 'green' drink) and take that once daily. The green drink has more stuff in it than I could consume in fresh produce of equal value....and then I would be so bloated that no one would want to be near me...lol!