Respected Contributor

Re: 2nd week taking Turmeric

I had been getting problems with my hamstrings specifically and more indefinitely legs, ankles and feet.  I purchased Turmeric Extract curcumin C3 complex 1160 mg from  VitaCost.  I started with two capsules a day and am now down to one a day.It took  a few days for my hamstrings to improve and have not had the problem since.  

Honored Contributor

It is recommended that at least 1500 mg be taken daily, usually divided into two or three doses of 500 or 750 with food. It is also important to take what is referred to as "standardized". This means that the ingredients in the sup contains an optimal amount of turmeric, curcumin and piperine (black pepper) to make it work effectively. Without the pepper, most of the active (curcumin) will pass through your body rendering it a spice rather than a supplement.

Valued Contributor

perhaps you should read the original post if you did, before admonishing the other poster, you would have read that the post says nothing about "what her doctor said

Honored Contributor

Tumeric should also include Curcumins for product safety. I buy from Puritans Pride, each cap is 1,000 mg and also contains 5 mg of Black Pepper which is also essential.

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004

Oh my goodness! I am so happy for you with having luck!

I am having very good luck with Tumeric-- headachiness is gone and joint pain is nearly gone!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I just purchased this at Walmart .   It's only 500mg, and it says 1 a day.  Sounds like most of you take more than 500mg.   

Valued Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Evie2004 wrote:

Just started taking Turmeric a couple of weeks ago, mainly to see if it helps my generalized osterarthritis..I am a year out from my TKR, & take tramadol twice a day routinely..the last couple of days, I have completely forgotten to take my evening dose (tramadol) AND my operative knee is definitely working better, less stiffness & localized pain..also am noticing I am have much less GI "gurgling" after I eat...so, am hoping this will continue..I have not read many reasons ( actually one, they say to use caution with blood thinners..I assume being on Heparin or warfarin) not to take it & my PCP oks my taking it..

anyone else with improvement while taking it?

i've wanted to give tumeric a try for my arthritis and TKR that needs to be re-done!  How did you decide on a brand-there are so many!  Continued pain-free days for you....

@nana59@, I actually got mine @ Kroger, they had 2-3 different brands, I chose Nature's Bounty, label says "Made in the USA with  select ingredients from around the world" Bohemia, NY..

both my knees are feeling pretty well, hope I don't jinx it! Good luck with yours..I seem to remember when you had yours done..I was "under the influence" this time last year 😊

Honored Contributor

@tropics21 wrote:

perhaps you should read the original post if you did, before admonishing the other poster, you would have read that the post says nothing about "what her doctor said

LOL. The OP stated right off the bat that her PCP okayed her taking it. Most people understand that means Primary Care Provider, aka your doctor.

There is being literal, and there is reading comprehension, and there is being on the same page. The last two always work; the first - not as much.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@Evie2004 wrote:

Just started taking Turmeric a couple of weeks ago, mainly to see if it helps my generalized osterarthritis..I am a year out from my TKR, & take tramadol twice a day routinely..the last couple of days, I have completely forgotten to take my evening dose (tramadol) AND my operative knee is definitely working better, less stiffness & localized pain..also am noticing I am have much less GI "gurgling" after I eat...so, am hoping this will continue..I have not read many reasons ( actually one, they say to use caution with blood thinners..I assume being on Heparin or warfarin) not to take it & my PCP oks my taking it..

i've wanted to give tumeric a try for my arthritis and TKR that needs to be re-done!  How did you decide on a brand-there are so many!  Continued pain-free days for you....

@nana59@, I actually got mine @ Kroger, they had 2-3 different brands, I chose Nature's Bounty, label says "Made in the USA with  select ingredients from around the world" Bohemia, NY..

both my knees are feeling pretty well, hope I don't jinx it! Good luck with yours..I seem to remember when you had yours done..I was "under the influence" this time last year 😊

thanks for your help, buckeye mom!  it will be a year on 6/4 that i had my knee surgery.  my doctor made the decision not to replace my knee cap-he said it was a decision he makes when he actually sees the condition of it, but he never told me that.  

@Evie2004 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@Evie2004 wrote:

i have had pain since the surgery.  he admitted that he made the wrong decision not to replace it--so here i am--still dealing with pain--but i refuse to go through the surgery and rehab again.  he has been our ortho doctor since my kids were young and fixed many broken bones.  everything always went well.  but now i am angry and told him so.  just not ready to deal with it right now.... wish you continued good health...thanks for letting me vent!

Respected Contributor

You can buy Tumeric with black pepper already in it.   If your's doesn't come that way, you may want to add it.       https://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/health-benefits-of-black-pepper-and-turmeric