Honored Contributor

Re: 24 hour ur** ne collection

Urine is a perfectly acceptable word to write out in full. Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I had an 8 hr test  (every hour on the hour)  for low blood sugar.................of course ,I have it.....  Smiley Sad    ...........lol

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox

Hi OXOX,

As others have indicated, a 24 hour urine collection is indicated in a number of instances and is a very useful clinical tool.

When my eGFR started to dive (this is a marker of kidney function and was important because I had taken the anti-inflammatory Mobic for 12 years for chronic migraine - yes, every day - which damaged my kidneys) the 24 hour collection was ordered, after a normal UA had indicated a 55 eGFR.  Working in a hospital really helped, I must say, because I had to carry that huge brown plastic vessel around all day to the bathroom, along with a 4 cup plastic measure in which to urinate, then pour into the larger vessel.

Anyway, my eGFR results were interesting in that the 24 hour results were 8 points higher, which was good!  I so needed that good news, I can tell you.

Hope you physician is able to receive results he/she is looking for from your 24 hour test.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I take it you have a catheter then, @I am still oxox?

No - you simply collect it in a big plastic container.

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

My endocrinologist is having me do this to see if I am loosing calcium - I think- , its a bit strange I will tell yo

I had to do it for kidney function. 

I was sent a kit that came with instructions on how to use everything in the kit. 

Respected Contributor

When I worked at a nuclear defense plant, we had to do it once a year.  We called them 6 packs because they came in a carrier that looked like a beer bottle carrier--even though there were only 4 jars.