Honored Contributor

Re: 2018 Commit To Be Fit Challenge

@SandPiperwrote:

My question is for those using free weights. How do you determine what weight size to use. I’m just not sure. 

@SandPiper

Even though I seldom use free weights, I still was able save some of my dumbbells from our sewage flood. First it is always better to start with lighter weights. Do the exercise(s) you want and see if you can do 8-10 repetitions, and be honest about the level of effort you used to complete it.

Nobody on a forum can tell you, without seeing you do the exercise, how much effort you are using with that specific 

amount of weight. You have to start light and use your own judgement as to what number of pounds of free weights pushes you just a bit to start.

If you are talking "free weights, as in a barbell", that would be much different than using a dumbbell in each "arm/hand". Leg muscles are stronger than wrist muscles(forearm)/chest muscles are stronger than arm muscles(biceps/triceps), and so on.

Everyone has certain goals. If you want stronger muscles, the general rule is: use more weight and do fewer repetition. Maintain muscles or tone, less weight with more repetitions.

Start light/find the effort needed, and use your own judgement. Starting with weights that are too heavy, can cause injuries and also play mental gymnastics for some, especially those no familiar with resistance exercises.

Got more specific questions?  I can give it a shot! Without being there watching you, that's the best I got for ya!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@hckynut Your explanation helps a lot. I am talking about dumbbells. I am doing a lot of repetitions very easily, with no effort so I figured I needed to go up. I went up 2 lbs but again no effort at all. I’m reluctant to go up more. I just worry too much about these things. Thanks again for your explanation. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutwrote:

@tsavorite

You say you don't feel like you are getting stronger. Are you looking at arm strength/leg strength/cardio strength? I personally find "specific exercises, for specific areas" to be best. It takes more exercise time, and/or days for sure, as opposed to multi-combined exercises like an elliptical that works a combination of muscle groups at the same time.

I use muscle specific exercises, for example: arm curls for biceps/overhead extensions with resistance for triceps, and so on. For skating I do exercises for the muscles used skating. Primarily the Quads/Hip Flexors/Abductors, and so on. Running/jogging, or walking do not use the same primary muscles as ice skating. I find one of my Recumbents to be the best at simulating skating.

Many underestimate the advantages of muscle and connective tissue flexibility. This gives agility, which in turn makes movement easier, and that makes living "daily life" putting much less stress on muscles and joints. I am as flexible as I was in my 40's, in spite of having back surgeries/leg surgery/abdominal surgery and others.

I am just giving you some information about how muscles and connective tissues respond to certain specific exercises, be it for strength and/or flexibility. I know that my flexibility allows me to do things, with less effort than others much younger(chronologically speaking) than myself.

Keep at it, and like most of us, find what gets you to (making daily life easier), for you. Everything adds up, and I can speak for all of us contributing on this thread. Making our daily lives easier something we all want. My best to you,

hckynut(john)

Thanks for the information I kinda am figuring this out as I go along....while I don't mind doing the elliptical I get bored easily so I have been experimenting by changing up my workouts.  I am thinking of cutting down on the time when I do the elliptical and just increasing the speed and see if I like that better for next time.

I also have been adding in the Total Gym I have...it's the Ultra version from many yrs ago....that I like doing...I like the upper body movements I can do on it and I feel it will give me better results in strength.  Only problem I have with it right now is I simply can't do the level adjustment...that old version is really hard to do....my husband had to do it for me...but I really need to do some of the exercises on a lower level and some like the biceps/row on the next higher level.  I simply have little hand strength and I don't want to break my nails either LOL (that's a girl thing I am sure).  

So today I did a mix up different things....I used the Total Gym and I jumped on this other thing I have called Maxiclimber....that is hard for me to do and I only do it for a few minutes for my legs.  My heart rate on that thing goes WAY up...hit 168 today quickly.  Then I did squats and lunges and leg lifts for my leg strength.  I have to stand between my kitchen counter and a chair for balance as my hips seem to be a very weak spot for me also.

Today was a 107min workout....8mins peak HR....19mins Cardio HR....40mins fat burn HR.  Then stretching....I have tight hamstrings/calves and even my feet.  I am planning on seeing a foot doctor soon for the feet issue which I believe it is Plantar Fascitis.

Oh forgot....I am trying to strength my arms/legs (basically all muscles) with weights/Total gym and carido strength too by using the elliptical.

@SandPiper  Hi....I just wanted to comment on your struggle to figure out what weights to use.  In PT the after part of it the personal trainer tested me out and had me do all kinds of things to determine where I should begin.  I was clueless!!  I could do 5lbs for say biceps and rows but other things I used 2 or 3lbs....at one point it was 1lbs or no weight on certain arm movements.  For myself if I am working pretty hard and I can just do the 10 reps or 8 reps....I know that's where I should be.  The most I can do now on say a bicep curl with a over head press combo is 8lbs.  That is difficult but I can do it and I don't hurt myself trying else I would go back down to 6lbs.  My goal long way back was to get to 10lbs....maybe using the Total gym will help me get there as free weights haven't.  

Not sure if any of this helps you....hope everyone is doing well.....

Valued Contributor

@tsavorite Thanks for your info. I am using the weights to strengthen my upper body. I was using 5 lb weights and it was just too easy. I graduated to 6 lb weights and in a day or two I didn’t feel any resistance or effort. So today I bought 8 lb weights and boy oh boy do I feel it. But in a good way. I felt like I was exercising my muscles. However I can think of two reps that were really difficult. So for them I am going to use my 6 lb weight. 

After reading your your post I never thought of using different size weights. Guess I’m clueless so your help and @hckynut is really appreciated. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaidenThis is for all my friends in CTBFC....I recently watched a very comprehensive and compleing YTvideo on weight loss that is evidence based.  No matter what your proclivity for weight loss....I think you might find this extremely helpful:

You Tube       Chef AJ  Ultimate Weight Loss            in which she gives her ultimate secrets to weight loss

Understanding caloric density is critical for success in weight loss/health....this video will clearly illustrate this concept.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi all....made my goal of 5days exercise....did the elliptical today at a higher speed....but less time....20mins and a 5min cool down.  

Today upon waking up I noticed sore muscles from using that MaxiClimber yesterday...my legs in places were letting me know I had used muscles I apparently haven't been in awhile...kinda like when I do weeding in the yard....I am always amazed at how sore my legs are after that for days LOL!

Got a question for anyone that cares to comment.....regarding hydration.  This is what I do....in the morning I have my usual coffee....then I switch to a combo of a zero cal sports drink and water.  I drink 12 to 14oz....before I begin any exercise....I do wait about 15mins before starting.  If I am weight training I drink thur out.....but if I do the elliptical I drink after the 25mins or so that I am on it.  

Of course I continue to drink water the rest of the day.  I do not get muscle cramps so I am thinking this is working for me but wondered what others are doing in this area pre and post working out.

Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden  Weekly check-in....down only .8 pounds for the week.  My muscle mass remained the same.  Since January 1, I've lost 28 pounds as of today.  I'm into phase 2 of my food lifestyle program today.  This morning I made shredded potatoes in the panini grill, stuffed them with mushrooms, spinach, and tomatoes that were sauteed in low sodium veggie broth and added some salsa verde.  So good!  i use no oil, salt, or sugar.  If anyone is interested in my next phase food lifestyle, you can watch the Chef AJ video I posted above.  I eat foods that are on the left side of the red line in the video - no hunger, restrictions, or calorie counting.  I spent 40 days on my first phase, now I'll spend another 40 days on what I call the Red Line phase in my experiment in weight loss.  I do expect my weight loss progress to slow down but by June, I'm confident I will have met my goals.  I'm back in the gym coming up to speed with weight training, however; I know it is all about the food for weight loss.  Hope everyone is experiencing success and much happiness!

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite

In regards to hydration!  There is no when or how much that fits everyone. No human should wait until they are thirsty to drink water, or any type of fluid. For those doing long duration exercising, especially at higher heart rate levels(for themselves), as by then you are trying to "catch up"!

I don't care what type of exercise I am doing, I always stop and drink plain ole water. Sports drinks(full strength)hamper long duration high heart rate training(exercise) because most have a high sugar content. This slows the fluid's  path to all parts of the body, never a good thing to maintain muscle strength and/or energy.

Since I worked for over 30 years in a factory that seldom was under 100°, and was involved in vigorous activities after work, I have always ingested lots of plain H2o throughout the day/night(shifts). 

For me, 1 time a paid a big price for always drinking lots of water. That was heart attack #1, which was July 5, 2003. I was out in 95+° heat for 4 hours mowing our acreage. When I got done came into our AC patio room. Had a sore throat and knew something else was happening to my body.

Called 911 and got to the ER to find out my cardio system had a big problem. During the Stent Angioplasty Procedure, the fluids I had consumed ended up in my lungs(Aspiration Pneumonia), and that came close to ending my life. Spent 8+ days in ICU, 4 of which I had a Balloon Pump inserted in a Major Artery in my groin. If I moved too much and it came out? Could bleed to death.

The good part of my story is this. Had I not been as physically fit as I was at that time, I would not have had the lung capacity to survive that Pneumonia. My fitness was part of what saved my life.

I don't care what type of exercises I am doing, I completely stop/drink my water, and then continue on. Stopping, unless during a race or other competition, does not interfere with cardio or resistance training. It in fact good to do it that way as opposed to trying to run/skate/elliptical/max climber/NuStep/Recumbent, or whatever and ingest fluid at the same time.

Unless you are in a competition of some sort, what time/how much before exercise/how much of what to drink, is pretty negligible, as long as your body is hydrated. Having been around hundreds of Road Races and thousands of hockey games, I have never seen anyone suffer from being "over hydrated". Under hydrated? Yes, many, many times.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut  Thanks for sharing.....based on your info then I am doing fine....I make sure I am hydrated and I do stop to drink if I feel thirsty during any work out....since I hydrate well prior to my elliptical I feel fine during it since it is a short time I am on it.  The sports drink I use has zero sugar....and I use it as a half and half mixture....more on the water side.

I was watching one of those Untold Stories of the ER shows last night and a woman in the ER who was training for a marathon didn't drink enough fluids....plus she took her lithium medication and well her situation got really bad quickly!  The ER doc treating her also was a runner (3-5miles training per day he said) and he was training for some event coming up and he also was having issues with muscle cramping due to low hydration.  Guess the show got me thinking about it so I posted question.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite

Guess I misunderstood your question. I thought you said "you hydrate when you are thirsty and after your elliptical". I'll go back and read it again. 

The only time I "measured my fluid intake" was after my 2nd heart attack on September 12, 2007. I was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure(CHF) and my daily fluid(of any kind) intake was limited to 64oz. Now that for me was harder than any other 1 thing I needed to do to recover.

I don't measure or set times of when I drink fluids. For me it is just like breathing, I seldom give it a thought. Even with the Aspiration Pneumonia getting me close to dying, I still drink as much fluid as I need for my body to function at it's full ability. If I have another heart attack while I have a lot of fluid in my system? Call it fate or "his plan", I have no intentions of changing how and when I choose to hydrate my body, when max exercising or watching TV.

Going back to re-read you post with the question about hydration, and see what I misunderstood. Keep on doing what you feel works for you. My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)