Respected Contributor

Re: 2018 Commit To Be Fit Challenge

I never had a weight issue until my late 50's (am 67 now).  A few months ago, I realized I'd let myself get to 150 and I went on Adkins and went down to 139 just before the holidays.  Today I'm 142.

That's not terrible, but my blood pressure and cholesterol and now my sugar numbers are higher than I'd like so I am starting a plant based diet to see if that will have a positive effect.  I am also setting a goal of getting back to exercising at least 5 days a week.

I really hope this works because I do NOT want to take meds if I can avoid it - and I keep hearing how others have reduced or even eliminated theirs so I am hopeful.

Glad to join this thread and wish everyone a healthy new year!!

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

Good Morning, Like millions of people today I have decided that enough is enough. I have not walked since October and my food intake  has been horrible. I have not been on the scale in months, but my clothes are not fitting so I had an idea that it would not be a pretty picture when I decided to look. This morning, I put on my Fitbit and before I could make excuses about all of the things that I had to do I went for a 30 minute walk. I then plopped down in front of my computer and opened this thread. It motivated me to go and get on the scale. OMG!! It's bad.

My goal is 20 lbs. or down to 160 lbs. in these first few months. I need to loose more than that, but It will overwhelm me if I put down the actual number that I need to loose. BTW, I am only 5"1'. This weight has been hard on my body. I have been feeling it in my knees, and whole body. Just cleaning the house seems hard. Ughh..

My goal for this week is to walk for 30 minutes Monday-Friday.

Thank you @SeaMaiden for starting this thread.

@icezeus  I felt just like you when I stepped on the scale this morning.... I had been not weighing myself all winter as I could tell that I had put on weight.   I do not even like to look at myself naked in the mirror....We both had a wakeup call.... and now we can start fresh... no secrets from ourselves! That is the real beginning! Now when you step on that scale you have nothing to fear and it can be a good thing!  We can do this together!  Now I need to get off my butt and off this computer and go for my walk!  You inspired ME!((HUGS))  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I agree that this is not just about weight - but about health and feeling good.

Let's not beat up on ourselves for where we are - or even if - as we all will - we fail to meet our daily goals of eating right and exercising.  Let's just encourage each other and get back to healthy habits.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My goal is 20 pounds by June. Lost 20 pounds two years ago. 30 was the goal. Gained 10 back in 2017. Whaaat? I know. I know what I need to do. Hydrate. Don't snack. Moderate exercise 5 days/wk, working in walks at work and home. Decide what I'm going to eat in the morning and stick to the plan!

Made the mistake of checking to see if gym is open today --- arghhhh. Noon to 4pm. I'll try to swing in.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@SandPiper  I don't like to drink water either, however, I purchased one of those stainless drink containers (like Swell brand), and put cold water in it, and it keeps it very cold for many hours.  I seem to like it if its cold without ice.  I drink more out of that bottle then I ever did if I just grab a bottled water.

The filtered water I use is purchased at one of the local water stores in 5 gallon jugs for a couple of dollars.  

I really increase water throughout the day if I use that bottle - whenever I head out to run errands, I fill it up.  I saves me from driving through a fast food restaurant to get tea or soda and saves $ too.

I don't think you need to get the Swell brand, I got mine on clearance at Dillards for $10 a few months ago.  Target carries the Swell for about $24/bottle.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Valued Contributor

@gloriajean My hubby drinks tons of water. We had a contest one day and to his 6-12 oz bottles, I didn’t drink even 1 full bottle.  It’s 1:30 and so far I drank 1 cup of tea and 8 oz of water....not good. But I’m determined. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Valued Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 Thanks for suggestion. I have an 18 oz Yeti stainless bottle I bought in the summer thinking it would help me. Nope. So now that I’ve read your post I pulled it out. Keep your fingers crossed it works. Woman Wink

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Regular Contributor

Believe I am the right thread now.

My goals are twofold:  to add more plants to each meal  and to continue with my chosen w/o program.

I would like to lose 6 lbs per month,  and for fun I have signed up for a weekly Hula class.

More activity and more plants.

Valued Contributor

I am Em  and have been a yo-yo dieter for years. I need to increase both my water intake  and my activity level considerably. My goal will also be to lose 6 pounds per month until June. In the beginning one tends to lose weight more quickly so after the six months I will revisit this goal and adjust as necessary for the following months. I am happy to be a part of this thread and will appreciate everyone's input.   Em

Valued Contributor

This just seems like such a nice thread that I just want to join in!

If I am ravenous in the morning, my favorite breakfast is a Kodiak Power Cake pancake. (kodiak is the brand name.  Amazon carries it.)  They have 190 calories for a thick 8 inch pancake.  The reason they are "power" cakes is they have a huge protein punch and that really helps satiation. 

I top it with Brummel and Brown spread and Smuckers sugar free syrup.  The syrup is 20 calories per quarter cup.  Seriously the best sugar-free syrup on the market.  So good!  (Amazon carries it, too.)

I buy washed, fresh berries and put as many of those as I want.

So a big pancake for 190 calories and then another 20 for a quarter cup syrup.  That's a lot of food for very few calories. 

Sometimes I have the same thing for a light supper.

It's my favorite, so if you try it, let me know!  I'd love to hear that it helped somebody!  If it does.  Smiley Happy