Respected Contributor

Re: 2018 Commit To Be Fit Challenge

Well I am behind the 8 ball again!  My hip flexor is hurting badly.  I thought I was just really sore in the inner thighs from doing the pruning of rose bushes.  But apparently it was also my hip flexor too.  I tried to do my elliptical very slowly and NOWAY can I do that motion.  So I tried to just walk around and that is even painful.  I walked in place gently for 15mins and did a few stretches...then took a epsom salt bath soak and some advil.  I am just so bummed right now.  This is setting me back big time.

And what's worse is I don't know what to do about it.  I just saw my internist and didn't bring this up as I believed I was over it.  I have been around the loop of doctors for this...and several PT places that didn't help at all.  Last time I gave up and just did nothing for months and months....it was so depressing to me.  

I keep thinking is there something else like my feet that are causing the problems in the hip flexor and hip area for me.  I don't understand body mechanics well but I do have pain in the heel of my left foot which is weird as it's my right hip/hip flexor slapping me down.

I have things I would like to be doing in my life...and what's really upsetting is the little bit I did on Saturday should not have caused this.  My husband came home and helped me with all the hard stuff.  He chopped all the piles of it up and I just helped him put in bags for recycling yard waste.  The next day he dug up the big root balls and pulled them out...again I just cleaned up some as I don't have the leg strength to do this kind of work.

Anyway I won't go on and on about it....

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite  I am so sorry you are experiencing this  pain.  Did the MDs diagnose why you are having this pain...did you have an MRI.   There are several good sources for hip flexor/torn labrum suggestions for exercises/roller foam.   I totally understand your frustration.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd  Not recently but this is something I have had in the past and was sent to PT for.  

I am reading online and I also think what is going on with me is my adductor muscle might be the cause here or both muscles combined. 

When I injured myself not that long ago I was doing a exercise from the Total Gym booklet...and it has you use these muscles to do the moves.  I only did a few and after that I have been messed up big time.

I thought I was over it but after the squatting down doing the rose bushes Saturday it's all back...no wonder I felt like I had rode on a bucking bronco.  I just thought my inner thigh muscles are sore but it was that plus these to others on my right side.  

Going to do the at home remedies I found online to try and help but the biggest one is resting that muscle....I already know this from past experience it's just depressing to me.  I can't seem to get ahead or just to keep going...derailed again.

Thanks for listening!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite  SportsHealth.com Hip   Has a lot of background information, suggestions, and might help formulate questions that you would want to ask your doctor. Dr. John Bergman is a great resource.  He is located in Huntington Beach, CA  and has significant resource information online...you might want to take a look ....very positive/uplifting.   Whie you are resting, you could watch some of his videos on hip pain...very informative (and a great sense of humor) and might give you some hope/ideas.  Hoping you feel betterHeart

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite

Did any of the doctors or physical therapists explain, or show you the function and/or movements of the hip flexor muscles? 

From the way you express your pain, it is nothing like what I experience with my hip flexors. What movement on your elliptical causes, or exacerbates the pain? Maybe something I know that has worked for me for decades, concerning my hip flexor issues can help you. That is if I can explain it well enough in typing? Not the same as me watching your movements for sure.

I use specific types of exercises to keep my hip flexors strong, and specific ones that get the best results for me in stretching them. The Abdominals, and their strength, is also a very important factor as it can help or hinder hip flexor movements.

The more detail you can give me the better. What Exact Specific movements(without any resistance) causes your pain?

hn

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut  Hi!  Ok let me try to fix the mess I have made in explaining what's going on with me!  I went to youtube and watched some physical therapy demos online to basically find the correct name of what is hurting me.  It is my adductor/groin/inner thigh muscles. 

I can stand up straight and lift my leg up with a bended knee...this would be moving my hip flexor and it feels fine.

BUT if I am standing straight up and say I moved one leg in front of my body sideways/lateral (hope that is making sense) WOW that hurts!  If I try to squat down (thighs spread out some that hurts it) and even walking is uncomfortable.  I wouldn't go walking around some where very far right now due to it.  Going around my house is fine as I can just stop whenever I need to.

On the elliptical just the movement of my leg peddling like a bicycle makes it hurt alot...so I stopped that right away.

And PT never really helped me with this to be honest...as back then I had it all flared up...hip flexor/adductor/hip.  Plus having a male PT may be the reason for that  adductor/groin is in a rather high inside personal area!  

All I can find right now to do for it is to ice it or use very cold packs which I have here at home.  Some say you can do the epsom salt bath with warm water too.  Rest it....and then I guess when it feels more comfortable try some type of exercises to strength the adductor/inner thigh muscles.

I am going to post the youtube PT video I found...they explain it better then I can for sure.  I don't know about the things they are saying to do if it's a good idea or not.  The most I remember from PT is they did have me use a band around one ankle and I would move my leg in different positions while standing and then the other leg.  They demo it on the video.  And some other ones too.

If you could take a look at it and comment or any advice I really appreciate it.  I hope I have explained it so you can understand better LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H29Th36wzfs

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

My colonoscopy was clear so good news there. Thanks for the well wishes. Of course no exercising for me, I’m exhausted. Here is what I ate today.

Given to me after test - pineapple juice, Lorna Doone shortbread cookies and graham crackers 

Lunch - Oatmeal with cinnamon, berries and chopped walnuts. 2 clemintines

Dinner - 3 oz grilled chicken, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, couple tablespoons of quinoa, slice of grain bread. Blueberries with a teaspoon of greek yogurt on top. I’m done eating for today. I might make myself a cup of herbal tea later.

@tsavorite I am so sorry you are going through this. I totally understand your frustration. But you have alot of good advise and support here. I don’t feel I can help with your issue but I can give you emotional support and tell you I am here for you just like others on here. We will help you through this. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandPiper  Yes!  Whew...I'll bet you are.glad that chore is over with!  Glad you are posting your food.. it keeps me going and I hope you too by sharing this information.

@tsavorite@hckynut  Tsavorite ....I agree with John's assessment.  The reason I suggested the referrals I gave you is because what you are experiencing sounds very much like a torn hip labrum.  I'm not "playing MD"...just thought if you took a look at the information it might resonate with you and you would be armed with more information when you talk to your doctor.  I wonder why your MD did not send you for an MRI before suggesting PT.  Hope you are feeling betterHeart

Respected Contributor

Hi ladies @SandPiper and @phoenixbrd glad everything checked good for you Sandpiper!  

I watched some more videos on the Hip Labrm Tear and I remember them dx me with this possibly at one of my PT places.  I did lot's of those exercises they show on videos for it.  

What I have now seems different....that video I posted earlier really seems to match...and since I did that adductor exercise on the Total Gym which is what started this all off I am thinking it is a groin/adductor injury.  

But with that said I think I have a past history of the Hip Labral Tear ....possibly.  From what I have read you can get lot's of false positives.  My doctor did that hip rotation thing on my legs during my exam...he told my I was very flexible and I felt zero pain or discomfort at that time.  So of course I thought I was over the issue whatever it really is!

I think my plan of action needs to be a combo of cool packs and maybe in a week I can put together some of these videos exercises and see how I do.  Maybe a week isn't long enough....I'll just test it out and see.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandPiper ...

32oz lemon water

IF until 11:00

break fast blend  spinach 

berries

mango

1 banana

1 tbsp chia seed

2nd meal           a plate full of     nori sheets stuffed with

avo -healthy fat for the day

carrot

onion

tomato

home made no fat dressing

Last taste treat     Cup of ginger chai tea (no dairy/sweetener)

1 beautiful navel orange

Went to the restaurant with Hubs again....this time he ordered salad with NO french friesSmiley Very Happy

I brought an herbal tea