Honored Contributor

Re: 2018 Commit To Be Fit Challenge

@beckyb1012@Thanks for the encouraging words.I am really enjoying my visit so I will push guilt aside and like you said get back on track.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hckynut  Always enjoy your posts!🤗

I also have older equipment.  My treadmill is probably 15 years old...a proform also.  It still works fine, but in Costco I saw a new model for about $800 that was so NICE, it hooks up to WIFI and has a big screen for down loading apps.  I would love that!  My model IS SO HEAVY,  perhaps it will break down some day and I will treat myself to a new one!  They made the old ones so good they last FOREVER...should not complain!

I always  wanted a NUSTEP, BUT it is so expensive. Just can not see spending that much when I need to fix things around the house and pay taxes here soon...☹️

Maybe someday.... 

Hi @SeaMaiden

Glad you enjoy my rambling on stories, just can't seem to help myself. My wife even reminds me now and again about how I seem to talk with everyone I meet. Meet new people almost every day I go ice skating. 

Some just about life, and others wanting tips on learning to skate, or skate better. Seems like the most often is: "how do you do those hockey  stops"?  I always answer that with: "you have to skate better before trying that one, so you better wear hockey shin pads/elbow pads, and a helmet. You WILL FALL a lot learning". Usually discourages them from trying, at least that day anyways.

My Trotter treadmill I bought new in 1983 and it has close to 20,000 miles on it, and it weighs 350lbs. No home models of treadmills were made back then, you needed to know someone even to be able to buy a commercial model, which is what I have. 

I knew a Physical Therapist and he ordered 3 of them, mine and for 2 of my running friends. Only replaced 1 roller and 1 tread belt over those decades of hard miles. Did 95% of my running training on that treadmill, loved it, and still do. Cost back then? $3500.00.

I first saw a NuStep during my Cardiac Rehab after my 1st heart attack(with Aspiration Pneumonia) back in 2003. Again, only commercial models, but anyone could buy them. I paid $3,400 for mine and for me, and my wife, it has been worth every penny. Used it during my many types of rehabs.

Hey, I know the tax thing! Retired unfortunately doesn't do any good when it comes to taxes. On fixed incomes I pay less, but needless to saw there is much less incoming $$$. I retired in 1991 and my wife in 2012, I think?  I have always bought close to top-of-the-line exercise equipment, and it makes them much easier to sell when I upgrade. 

Good reading your comments and your thread seems to be going well, with lots of ideas and encouragement from and for others, that need motivation now and again.

Stay well now,

E.T.A.  Not sure why my fonts got smaller. Guess stuff happens, sorry!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

A water goal goal is a great idea...I am a huge coffee drinker but I know that plain water is the best.Water here is really great and I could take that challenge.

@sidsmom wrote:

@dex wrote:

I hate to admit it but I have not been working too hard on my fitness goals.We are still away visiting our son.We have been walking a little but it is so cold and we didn’t bring cold weather gear.We are also eating bad foods.I will be behind all of you until the 8th when we return home.I know excuses...excuses but look out cause I will be on my game in a few more days.I have been picking up tips reading what everyone else is up to so please keep them coming.Congradulations to everyone who got started on their fitness goals!I am excited to hear about successes and ready to lift up those who are struggling.

@dex

How about do one thing...until you return on 1/8?

Drink more water.

Set a small water goal...like 2 liters...and stick to it.

Most of us are dehydrated due to the indoor heat...

and it’s available at your son’s place.

You can do it! 

💧💦💧💦💧💦💧💦

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Good Morning Everyone! 02/04/2018

Starting to really feel excited about my challenge and my goal. I feel it has lifted me out of a grey fog I had been in the past 6 months where I had put on a few unwanted pounds and just felt defeated.... now just 4 days into my challenge I feel positive, happy and looking ahead!  It is a good feeling to get out of that feeling of defeat. Your posts cheer me on as I see others becoming positive as well!

I was tempted to purchase the TS fitbit  watch as my three year old HR fitbit  I bought at Costco  is starting to come apart where the band meets the actual watch face.  I taped it together the best I could... but it continues to come apart.  It did not come with a way to replace the band on the one I bought. These really are made very cheap and are not made to last.....

I went to Amazon and purchased a different model Fitbit HR  on my Amaxon Prime ( with same day free shipping so I will get it today!)  It has a  bigger face on it.  I think the TS  has too small a face and looks hard to read. It is also water proof and has all the other options that the TS offered for only $129.

I usually wear my fit bit around my  ankle, so I ordered the large.  I feel the step count is more accurate wearing it around my ankle( un buckled under my sock),  than having the watch on wrist and  the fit bit is clicking steps if you do movement with your arms while not walking.  I wear the watch underneath my stockings which are  those ones for good blood  circulation. It works well for me. If I want to see my heart rate or watch my step count or see my sleep,  I can always put it around my wrist.

Hope everyone has a great day! Stay strong!

@SeaMaiden

The one I purchased last year was from Amazon as well. I would not be able to accurately read what is on the screen for the TSV that is being offered without putting on my glasses. My Flex 2 does not display information it just has dot's that light up as you tap it to see your progress. If I want the actual number i just look at my phone. It beeps me when it's time to move if I have been inactive for to long and since it's sync to my phone when it rings my band vibrates as well. It was somewhere in the $60.00 price range and it fits my needs so no complaints.

Esteemed Contributor

1/4/17 check in. Well I have not went for my walk this morning. I am waiting for Direct TV to come by and service my dish that I am having problems with. I might try to do it later on today. I like to get the walk out of the way first thing in the morning, because I become lazy as the day wears on and start making excuses not to do it.

I believe for breakfast I am going to have some bacon and oatmeal.

I have been putting off going to the grocery store because I am waiting to receive a book that was recommended earlier in this thread. I want to see what kind of foods are suggested.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut

Hey, John, just sticking my head in the room for a minute to say I smile when I read you are still skating and enjoying.

Best to you, Cindy, and the Furry Crew,

KittyLouWho

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sfnative People here online can only upset you if you allow them too...just ignore the stuff that you don’t like and carry on with what makes you happy.I am looking forward to hearing about your journey because you have some challenges to wok through.I was anticipating cheering you on and planning the happy dances for your successes.I used to be very easily hurt by others but then one day I realized that I allowed myself those feelings...no more.I choose to be me and if people don’t like it then it becomes a problem for them.I have no problems with people picking on me now so I guess the real issue was me.Just ruin their fun by not allowing them to ruin yours.I think that the people who find it necessary to be mean are actually very unhappy and you know that misery loves company....but not mine!

@dex

I'll address this one last time and then leave it alone.  This negative presence and bashing in my direction has been going on since 2004.  After such a protracted period of time of that person's acting out due to a psychological need and being on the receiving end, I'm at the time in my life where I'm simply not to tolerate this any longer, so will walk away from it. 

I worked for the Navy and had to tolerate a ton of behavior and many "etcs."  Am just not up to more juvenille behavior.  It's unfortunate we don't have admins as does FB.

(This person wouldn't know a problem if it hit this person in the face.    How ludicrous!)

I am me.  I know me.  I don't have any problems there. I do have issues with 13 years of misconduct on the boards, some of which has been directed at me by this presence.

Enough said.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden If you got the Charge 2 you can buy different bands at Amazon. You might not need to if you wear it on your ankle. I bought a few of the magnetic ones which I like much better than the bands that come with it. You can get a better heart rate reading that way and it's not flopping around. I just couldn't get the buckle ones to sit in a comfy spot for me.

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden If you got the Charge 2 you can buy different bands at Amazon. You might not need to if you wear it on your ankle. I bought a few of the magnetic ones which I like much better than the bands that come with it. You can get a better heart rate reading that way and it's not flopping around. I just couldn't get the buckle ones to sit in a comfy spot for me.

@pigletsmom  Thank-you!  My old  Fitbit That I am replacing  with the band tearing does not allow for  band replacement.  Thus...why I had to purchase a new one. The electronics still work fine. But where it is tearing it shows the battery etc leaving that exposed and it might come in contact to my skin.

With The  new Fitbit  I just ordered  I do believe I can replace the band .  I do not buckle the band when I wear it on my ankle...just wrap it around and let the compression sock hold it on....  maybe with the new one....I will not need the band at all!? We will see.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@hckynut

Hey, John, just sticking my head in the room for a minute to say I smile when I read you are still skating and enjoying.

Best to you, Cindy, and the Furry Crew,

KittyLouWho

@QueenDanceALot,

Thank you for thinking of me and my family. Skating yesterday I noticed a pain in my left lower abs. Different type of pain, but thinking it could be a hernia. Had one fixed on the right side a few years ago. But that one felt much different. They were able to scope that one, so it was a pretty short setback, relatively speaking for me.

Was able to get an appointment with my GP later today and have him check it out. Plan on skating tomorrow, right now anyways. Will see if he finds the source of this stinkin' problem. Whatever it is I will get past it whatever that involves.

If I need surgery I will have my wife's surgeons fix me up. They know me well from my wife's many internal surgeries, and also were on call for me when I was dealing with all my right colon bleeding issues. Here's hopin it is something on the minor side. Will update this if I get the answer from my doctor today.

Keep up your training of your clients and stay well, eh? My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)