Respected Contributor

Re: 2018 Commit To Be Fit Challenge

Hello everyone....this is my 1st post I have been back working out since the beginning of the month and saw this topic and thought why not join in here!  

My goals are to be physically stronger....and also cardio health...endurance.

My plan is to do my elliptical set at what I used to be able to do it at before my big crash (had a reactivation of EBV crushing fatigue and constant re-adjustment of my thyroid meds trying to get levels to mid range to higher range T3 still climbing on this)  which is 30mins level 2 with a 2 min warm up and a 2min cool down.  Then stretching.  4 days per week.  On Tuesdays and Saturdays I lift hand weights and stretch....so far this is what I have been doing.

I had a total crash day on Sunday....no nothing yesterday....I was wiped out from Saturdays weights...I'll have to adjust what I did and see what I can do Tuesday.  Sunday I still had to cook a turkey (didn't want to LOL) and all that goes with that side dishes and so on...all the washing of larger roaster and so on....I was tired.

Today I did my elliptical but can only go 4.1 on it for about half the time and then I go back down to 3.8 for the rest....this IS a improvement for me so we'll see how I do for the next several weeks.

I have a annual check up with my internist in early April and my goal is to do my routine until I see him and if I am not making progress or am super fatigued still then we gotta figure out what else may be going on.  

My history is I have been struggling with fatigue big time for yrs and well I gotta get out of this hole I am in.  

I don't have any weight loss goals as I am currently 123lbs....5"4....just maintaining that is fine for me....I would LOVE to gain muscle strength and weight from that instead.  

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

We are not into this challenge to compete with others; we are in it to challenge ourselves to meet our personal goals. Reachig those goals can be influenced by a variety of factors. First, some loose weight very fast at first especially if they have not been on a healthy diet; later, they creep down while others steadily lose small numbers, etc. Medications can influence weight.  It is not how fast you lose but that you hold fast to trying to reach the goal.

We don't get discouraged if someone loses more than we do; we don't get discouraged if that nasty scale doesn't show a loss or even shows a temporary gain as it can at times. The scale isn't the only way to measure progress. How are you feeling? What are the measurements? I could go on but the main thing to remember we are individuals and we cannot measure our success against other individuals. They do not have our unique heath and medical history, dieting history, etc.

@KonaKat  Beautifully written! 👏🏻

I think it is human nature  to want or have a need  to keep up...do better than....it is instilled in us from kindergarten.  WAKE UP CALL......

I need to not try to measure my progress against anyone else's.  Each of us here is unique...and special.  I will remember that next week when I check in.  

Thank-you!🙂

Respected Contributor

Down another pound.  Stayed on the plant based diet.  Did better on exercuse.  Emailed my doctor to say that I'm holding off on the statin she wants me to take in lieu of this diet.  Hope she will be onboard with that.  We'll see.

Saw the most interesting study that says if you eat 4 brazil nuts, your LDL cholesterol can decrease up to 20 points  in just a day - AND last for up to 30 days.  Have no idea if that's true, but just ate 4.  There is a caution not to eat too many as they are high in selenium - which can be toxic if overindulged.  Google it if you're interested.

Esteemed Contributor

I did make it to 122 pounds, my first 10 pounds since Oct. 30th, but thought I'd still try to get down to 115 and then maintain.  It may take a long time as it goes slowly.  My husband made his 20 pound loss. He will try for five more.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@KonaKat wrote:

We are not into this challenge to compete with others; we are in it to challenge ourselves to meet our personal goals. Reachig those goals can be influenced by a variety of factors. First, some loose weight very fast at first especially if they have not been on a healthy diet; later, they creep down while others steadily lose small numbers, etc. Medications can influence weight.  It is not how fast you lose but that you hold fast to trying to reach the goal.

We don't get discouraged if someone loses more than we do; we don't get discouraged if that nasty scale doesn't show a loss or even shows a temporary gain as it can at times. The scale isn't the only way to measure progress. How are you feeling? What are the measurements? I could go on but the main thing to remember we are individuals and we cannot measure our success against other individuals. They do not have our unique heath and medical history, dieting history, etc.

@KonaKat  Beautifully written! 👏🏻

I think it is human nature  to want or have a need  to keep up...do better than....it is instilled in us from kindergarten.  WAKE UP CALL......

I need to not try to measure my progress against anyone else's.  Each of us here is unique...and special.  I will remember that next week when I check in.  

Thank-you!🙂

I struggle with that @SeaMaiden.....not here but with my husband.  I am very concerned that if I don't get stronger I will never be able to catch up to him or should I say keep better pace with him!  He gets on my elliptical and will go for 2hrs....doesn't drink water before hand just a morning cup of coffee...and doesn't drink water afterward....is completely drenched in sweat like he took a shower...I'd be in the ER if I tried to do that LOL!  I drink 12oz water before and then hydrate after and never sweat that much...I do sweat just nothing like I took a shower wet!

He tells me he does that high intensisty stuff....says he cranks level way up and does thur all the commercial breaks...that's like 3-4mins on most stations.  I don't know how he can do that....so that comparison thing I have to watch out for.  I am struggling and have all my life when it comes to endurance/strength.....neither of us had any background in fitness...he was a long term smoker (not me) and is over weight and struggles with loosing pounds but since he started using my machine he lost some.  Funny when I was buying it he told the guy at the store "he would NEVER use it" LOL right!  He dropped the treadmill and now only does the elliptical.  Anyway...I just try to focus on myself and do the best I can.

Honored Contributor

@SandPiper I loved your post.you have a wonderful attitude and I love how you challenge yourself but still remain realistic with your expectations.I think that you should happy dance and I send you a way to go girl!

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer Good for you to avoid statins.I was able to get my DH cholesterol down with diet and exercise.I made him a smoothie with fruit and 3tbsp. Flax each morning,he ate lots of vegetables and homemade soups for lunch and dinner was fish or chicken and salads with rice or oven roasted potatoes.He takes Andrew lessmans plant sterols for lowering cholesterol at each meal.This process took a full year but his cholesterol is normal.We also greatly lowered salt and ate almost no sugar unless it was from fresh fruit.I made chia pudding for desserts and added two tbsp pure maple syrup to the recipe that serves about six.We had a lot of oatmeal too. 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite  Thank you for sharing!   So tell me, what was it that inspired your husband to start to exercise?  Was it his Doctors instructions?......was it a friend of his who died and if hit him hard?...

I am asking because my husband does  no exercise... NOTHING at all EVER.  Never has.    I wish he would be like your Husband working out.  I hope it does not take a health crisis to give my husband a wake up call.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tsavorite  Thank you for sharing!   So tell me, what was it that inspired your husband to start to exercise?  Was it his Doctors instructions?......was it a friend of his who died and if hit him hard?...

I am asking because my husband does  no exercise... NOTHING at all EVER.  Never has.    I wish he would be like your Husband working out.  I hope it does not take a health crisis to give my husband a wake up call.

@SeaMaidenno health issues whatsoever for my husband....he has always been one to work alot of hours and go on and on like the energizer bunny!LOL  

He did get a fitbit a few yrs ago and to be honest that's when he started it....he had to go over the 10,000 steps per day from the beginning....get all kinds of medals for stairs steps floors and whatever else it gives you.  He became sorta addicted to it....wears it constantly...I even push the shopping cart when we are out as I know he wants his steps counted.  He worked in a large automotive plant and instead of taking a golf cart thing around when going far he walked....all his jobs he walks and fixes everything.  These places are so huge though so it was like a big challenge for him to out do it.  

Does you husband have a fitbit?  IF not then perhaps if he got one he'd like the challenge of it.  They say for some people you produce feel good endorphins after working out so I am sure that's what is also doing it for my husband.  He will work all day and come home and do at least 1hr on elliptical during the week or more....tonight he snowblowed driveway and shoveled porches too.  

I have a fitbit and it doesn't have that effect on me....but I have health challenges and I believe that makes the difference.  Husband is never ill....like superman LOL!  

I wish I had more to help with you motivating your husband....men like challenges I know....if your into that kinda of thing maybe if you both workout together?  I can't do that with mine....he's so over the top for me it's depressing.....comparing myself I would just give up.  So I do my workouts all separately.  

Esteemed Contributor

I only read @SeaMaiden post.  I think it's a great idea.

I'm not a Kardashian fan, but I like Khloe and her "Revenge Body" show,  I love what I heard on the the show:

"It's not what you lose, it's what you gain"

I lost 20 pounds last spring, gained 10 back.  I want to get down to 115 or 110. I'm 123 now.   I felt great at 115.   I lost it eating only one meal a day, and working out an hour a day.  I was not hungry with one meal a day.   I'm back on "my track" again.  (well, not working out an hour like it did...)

anyway.... count me in