Valued Contributor

Re: 2018 Commit To Be Fit Challenge

Happy Friday everyone.  Here’s what’s going on in my world today. 

I shoveled over a foot of snow yesterday. I figured that was enough exercise for the day. Today I am aching . I took 2 Advil and will see how I feel later. 

I made the decision today to go back on the DASH diet. DH and I were on it a couple of years ago and did very well.  DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension.  I am borderline hypertensive. Quoting from book, it says DASH is grounded in healthy eating principles that lower blood pressure; reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and some types of cancer; and support reaching and maintaining a healthy weight. No diet has a medical pedigree like DASH. Today I am making Pasta E ******ioli using their recipe. It’s a frigid day- perfect for soup. 

@KonaKat and @icezeus I did order the Fitbit. Have a great day everyone. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Esteemed Contributor

@SandPiper

Yes, shoveling snow is definitely exercise and the muscles often will show it on the next day.

DASH Diet in the news. . .

January 3, 2018. DASH diet ranked best diet for 8th year in a row by US News & World Report. Also best for diabetes, heart health, and healthy eating. Originally designed to lower blood pressure, the DASH diet is very effective for weight loss, lowering cholesterol, and managing or preventing diabetes.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

@KonaKat  it is an easy diet to follow. I have the DASH diet book as well as their recipe book. DH is a picky eater and I’m able to find recipes that he will eat. That’s a plus. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Good Morning Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well... those where the weather is frightful keeping warm and safe.

We are almost through our first week in the challenge.   Today update how   you feel you are doing? What has been the hardest for you to commit to this week? For those that are going to weigh themselves weekly... Monday is coming up... OUR FIRST WEIGH IN  since the first day of the challenge.  I feel like I have lost at least a pound or two. I would be happy with anything!   I have been totally committed to measuring out my portions and not over indulging like I had been doing.  I have been getting in 10- 12 thousand steps each day... constantly. That is about 3000 more steps than before I started the challenge. Adding an extra 20 to 30 minutes on the treadmill in the afternoon I think is really going to make all the difference in my energy expenditure.  I try to walk each morning about 50 minutes... so that added step time in the afternoon is a fat burning bonus. My weight loss will not be fast.. but I hope just consistant... would like to lose some of  this belly fat that appeared over the last year that I never had before.

How would you all feel about a weekly challenge that those that want to commit to could?  It could be anything from challenging extra steps per day over our usual... or  something  else.   Maybe we could share some ideas and on Monday decide what the weekly challenge will be?  Just an idea to kick around.

I have my cataract surgery for my left eye on this Tuesday... I hope they let me go for my walks  the day after surgery. I will have to ask.  I will take the day  off Tuesday from walking  of course.  Two weeks after my first surgery  I will have my other eye done and go through the process again. 

So  Monday will be our first week check-in!  Those who are weighing in weekly share your update!   Of course you do not have to give any numbers... unless you feel you wish to. 

Everyone have a wonderful weekend whatever your plans are. Smiley Happy   See you here on Monday!

we-1.jpg

Honored Contributor

85A891E1-C5A8-4BB7-845F-4E0BBE97A50C.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I hope your procedure goes well.

The week has passed quickly. Today, I turned up the resistance one notch on the bike which has made it more difficult to pedal. I cannot do what I once did in the same amount of time. At 30 minutes, I had to stop and do another session later.

This is a record of my active minutes. Those minutes involved in walking that do not elevate heart rate, etc. are not reflected. One day, I had 6000+ steps in from routine classroom walking, etc. but it was not at the iintensity required to be reported as active minutes. My goal for next week will be 60 active minutes a day for 5 days.

Jan6weekactive.JPG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden I feel pretty good. I’ve committed to the DASH diet and I’m sticking with it. I needed structure and a plan to make this work. I power walked on the treadmill almost every day for 30 minutes. I took one day off because of shoveling over a foot of snow. Next week I will increase my time and move the incline up a notch. I want to do this slow, I’m in no hurry.  I am frustrated because I failed miserably in drinking more water. Total FOR THE WEEK around 60 ounces. I’m embarrassed to even say this. Woman Frustrated I don’t no what the answer is. I’m struggling. 

I think weekly challenges are good. Will keep us on our toes. I will think of suggestions. Maybe a water suggestion lol. 

ohhhhhh I do plan to weigh myself every week. Drum roll please.......tune in on Monday.

You will be fine after cataract surgery. FIL just had one eye done and he experienced no down time. 

SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

Esteemed Contributor

1/6/18 update. Well, I still have not received my FMD book, however I am in a smaller private group and one of the ladies mentioned the Intermittent Diet and her results this week and I am going to take that approach. There are multiple ways to attack this lifestyle change so I have picked the one that I believe can work for me and my lifestyle.

Since, I am starting the intermittent diet today. I wanted to see what my weight was to accurately gauge weight loss and energy levels.  I have had a nice drop from Monday's weigh in just with me walking four out of five days, cutting out all fast food, and drinking more liquids.  (Happy Dance) I will not post my weight until Monday since that is the date that we in this group officially started.

This morning on my trip to the grocery store, I focused on purchasing more fruits, vegetables and nuts.  I am glad to be a part of this group, because it does help with accountability.

@SeaMaiden I think your challenge idea is great. My only reservation would be what might be a challenge for poster A may not be what Poster B wished to work on that week. I.e. perhaps someone wanted to drink more water vs. someone wanting to challenge themselves with walking further. 

I can roll with the punches, so whatever the group decides I am fine with just my thoughts. (smile)

Honored Contributor

@icezeus  Hello!  I agree with you on the weekly challenge....need to give it more thought on how to design it to work for the group......

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus

I agree that what might be a challenge for A might not be for B as we are individuals with varying goals.  I personally would want the challenge to be one to help me meet my goals. I had assumed we could challege ourselves in the area we wanted and then report level of success at the end of the challenge.