Esteemed Contributor

2-Level Epidurals on Friday. For the first time since April of 2011,

I have been pain free, spasm free and radicular pain free for 48 hours!!!

Feeling Blessed!

Hard to guess how long this will last, but I am ever so grateful to be freed of severe pain caused by a W/C injury.

Following up with additional injections in September and October by my new Interventional Radiologist.

Woo-Hoo!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: 2-Level Epidurals on Friday. For the first time since April of 2011,

That's wonderful news and so happy for you.  LIfe can be miserable if you have never ending pain.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative

Prayers that this new practice will contiue to help you.

So happy for you.

Honored Contributor

What’s a W/C injury, please?  Is this something you can do many times to knock out the pain?

@sfnative

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

What’s a W/C injury, please?  Is this something you can do many times to knock out the pain?

@sfnative

@tansy

Hi tansy,

w/c refers to a workers' comp injury; that is, on the job.  However, they closed my file on that injury, though residual remains, so reg insurance picking this up.

"Epidural" injections are made into a teeny space between dural layers of tissue.  The "dura" are 3 different layers, which higher up in the spine, are a continuation of the protective layers which line the brain.

The injection includes a steroid and other elements.  There is usually an initial injection, followed by a second, then third.  There can only be a set of three in a calendar year.  Not all receive benefit from epidural injections.  I had them prior to a cage fusion with rods and screws.  Did not receive any benefit whatsoever.  However, as a result of Friday's 2 injections, I am presently pain-free for the first time since 2011, which astounds me.  However, I have perhaps 5-6 friends who have all had positive results from their epidural injections.

For more info, google epidural injection and head for the Mayo  Clinic site or something similar.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

This is great news! I am so happy for you!😘

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @sfnative.  I should have been able to figure out WC.  

My mother referred to your procedure as her tailbone shots — sometimes helpful, sometimes not.  She would blame my father or me when the shot didn’t help:/

i’m glad you got so much relief.

Honored Contributor

Good for you, OP. I don't mind the pain in my back , and now my knees , as much as  I  mind the weakness. I can barely get up from a chair, and must push myself up using my arms. Very awkward. I can't stand for long. In church I often have to sit down if any of the parts of the service are too long. Forget about standing in a line for anything! We went to a breakfast buffet yesterday , and there was a line , so DH brought me my plate. Of course it was what he likes , not what I like so I ended up not eating much.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Good for you, OP. I don't mind the pain in my back , and now my knees , as much as  I  mind the weakness. I can barely get up from a chair, and must push myself up using my arms. Very awkward. I can't stand for long. In church I often have to sit down if any of the parts of the service are too long. Forget about standing in a line for anything! We went to a breakfast buffet yesterday , and there was a line , so DH brought me my plate. Of course it was what he likes , not what I like so I ended up not eating much.

@151949

I certainly hear where you're coming from and can relate to church as well.  My TKA gone wrong due to 3 surgery errors has made it extremely difficult to sit with my leg bent beyond 3-4 minutes.  We haven't been able to make a trip to the coast yet this year due to this darn knee.  Yes, static standing is the worst re back.  Assisting in surgery was the worst.  On one occasion, we were doing a hemi-pelvectomy on a 21 year old who thought he had "grandma's arthritis," only to be diagnosed with osteo sarcoma.  We had to remove nearly 1/2 of his pelvis.

I'll never forget the surgeon, Dr. H., directing me and a female Resident to grab onto this young man's right pelvis and pull, as he was working with a gigli saw (much less chance of error involving major vessels, nerves, organ structures).  I'll stop there, as you get the picture.  First off I'm static standing for just about 4 hours, then bent in half pulling like heck for I dont know how long.  That was a 9 hour surgery.  That evening I walked the long walk to my car at lest 1/3 bent over, as I couldn't straighten up.

But, back to it...I am so grateful thus far for these positive results.  For the first time since April of 2011 I can stand up straight!  And, I was actually able to do clean-up after dinner last night.  However, my prohibition list for the next 30 days is quite comprehensive, but appreciate it from this most excellent Interventional Radiologist.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

I have been pain free, spasm free and radicular pain free for 48 hours!!!

Feeling Blessed!

Hard to guess how long this will last, but I am ever so grateful to be freed of severe pain caused by a W/C injury.

Following up with additional injections in September and October by my new Interventional Radiologist.

Woo-Hoo!!!

I know this is an older thread but, how painful are the shots?  I had three failed back surgeries along with other issues causing chronic pain since 2000.  I get prescriptions every month for the pain which helps a little, not enough though.  I am delighted for you to be able to say, "no pain", I would love to be able to say that too. Woman LOL Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam