Respected Contributor

18 shake....meal replacement

anyone ever try this?  I currently use a protien shake...low sugar (2) high protien 25grams....but even mixing with milk I am hungry a short while later.  Looking for something that acutally fills you up but doesn't pack on more weight.  18shake has 80 calories then you add milk and well still not bad...just wonder if it's a scam and I should just forget about it.

Honored Contributor

Re: 18 shake....meal replacement

@tsavorite wrote:

anyone ever try this?  I currently use a protien shake...low sugar (2) high protien 25grams....but even mixing with milk I am hungry a short while later.  Looking for something that acutally fills you up but doesn't pack on more weight.  18shake has 80 calories then you add milk and well still not bad...just wonder if it's a scam and I should just forget about it.

@tsavorite

Not sure what you are asking. Is this suppose to we some way of losing weight? Is it just something to replace a meal for you, say at work to maybe feel better after lunch?

If one wants to lose fluid weight, any type of liquid intake for a few days, can make a person feel lighter, maybe even better. I used to do liquids only, for 2 days, every 2 weeks. Did this even during my hardest running and ice skating training, and I did just fine.

Bout all I can say, for short term feeling better, nutritious liquids for a couple days, won't harm those that have no major health issues. Always best to get ok from your doc.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@tsavorite How much fat does the shake have, and are you using whole milk when you use milk in it? I find fats to be sustaining in terms of appetite. But generally, if what you're having is less than 200 calories, that might be the problem. It's more a snack level of calories than a meal.

Honored Contributor

I did that for "lunch" when I worked graveyard.   Management would not let overnight employees off property for food during those hours for safety reasons.   I worked a straight shift......no lunch break.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I rarely use shake drinks, but I do keep Sun Warrior and Vega in the cupboard.  If I use, I am very satiated and lasts most of the day.  You might want to research the efficacy of the product you are using rather than basing your use just on calories.  If it is weight loss you are after, up your fresh produce and ditch the dairy (mainly for health reasons, but also for weight loss).  Good luck on your journey!

I just researched your 18 shake; a product I would never buy (it is whey based).  You might want to take a look at Vega (I use protein & greens) and/or Sunwarrior (I use illumin 8 organic); but Vega and Sun Warrior have several different products and flavors.  I have done lots of research on shakes and these two companies have a lot of integrity and have the ingredients I would be after.  (The mocha illumin8 can be heated with a nut milk and used as a warm drink in the am.)  I rarely use these because I'm plant based and most of my diet is fresh produce; but in a pinch they are delicious, satisfying, and healthy.  Wishing you the best.

Honored Contributor

I like to drink a "shake" as a meal replacement, not to lose weight.    Was happy to find the Nutrisystem Nutricrush shakes at Walmart.    I also drink Premier Protein shakes, 30g protein, 160 calories (meal replacement for me) 1g sugar, but more sodium than I care to consume.  I usually have one first thing in the morning, but not every day.  No mixing with either.    

The bad thing about shakes is the high sugar if premixed and if not, the protein tastes awful.    The 2 I mentioned have a good taste.

@tsavorite

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

Just eat r.e.a.l. food.

1 cup of lentils & a head of romaine lettuce. Boom. Tons of fiber, carbohydrates & protein to keep you full.  And, wow, you want to talk about cheap....beans are the cheapest!  

Curious, I poked around about 18 Shake.  Lots of 'warning' type of reviews. Apparently you have to enter your name/address to get detailed information.  They make $ from your info even if you don't order.  It has a social-media-marketing feel to it.  

I would stay away for many reasons.  Doesn't sound like a safe, ethical company..especially if they have my personal information.  There are so many alternatives which are safer, financially and nutritionally speaking. 

Honored Contributor

Never heard of it, I have lost 52lbs on a medically based wellness program and protein shakes are big part of the plan. My shakes havd 15g of protein, I mix them with ice cold water or diet soda in the blender with ice and they come out very thick.  I generally make a double and it's very thick and rich.  One double keeps me full for 3 hours.