Esteemed Contributor

Re: 13 States Already at 70% Vaccinated with at least one shot!

@teganslaw wrote:

I agree that the Covid shot should not be called a vaccine. It doesn't cure, just makes one less susceptible to the virus. I admit that I have called it a vaccine just because the term is so commonly used, but it isn't accurate.

Yes it is.  It's a vaccine.  It's not medication it's a vaccine.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

Yea, while there is new  news that  quite possibly this covid -19 pandemic could have been avoided  and there would not have been millions world wide who died .

Has anyone thought abt how quickly this vaccine was produced. Has anyone thought of the millions of dollars that the  pharmaceutical companies have made off  these vaccines  ??? 

The vaccine is not brand new.  SARS -- also called Covid-2 -- hit in 2012 and a vaccine for that was developed. SARS and today's Covid are members of the same coronavirus family. The SARS vaccine is where research and development began for the covid vaccine.  

My point was that the vaccine for SARS had been abandoned  in 2002-2003  because there was no money to be made . SARS  " had originated in southern China would cause 8096 cases, resulting in 774 deaths in 26 countries. " From   WHO report SARS was from probable  lab leak.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC416634/

SARS and MERS.  There was an outbreak in the in the Middle East as well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jersey Born 

This post by you (yes, I'm late reading it) really shocks me,  although I've seen the same false statement made here before............

You said;

<<That many at the NIAID under Fauci make so very much money off of their patents on this mRNA technology and therefore on every single shot sold should concern all of us. as it makes one wonder if science even exists any longer.  I would argue that the science of immunology is dead.  >>>

It's incredible that  anyone would think the federal government  is in the business of "holding patents" for profit. 

The Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases (headed by Fauci) is part of the National Institutes of Health,  which operates many different health and medical research institutes in various medical and health specialties.

Government is not a profit-making enterprise.  Money is allocated to that federal agency and all others by Congress.

Before posting lies, citizens should bone up on their very own government and learn how it works--and where their tax dollars go.  High school civics class 101.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This perhaps will clarify how the federal government is involved --in a limited way-- in patent ownership  It does have some patent rights, but it's public tax money that is behind the free vaccine-for-everyone effort.  It's not as if the government is getting paid-per- vaccine shot produced or administered.  We as taxpayers are paying for the vaccine as a public health measure.

<<Government-owned patents exist on inventions that have come from government-funded research.

This type of research can exist in all types of industries among federal contractors, universities, corporations, small businesses, and research institutes. The government owns research facilities and provides research grants and procurement contracts to businesses in the private sector.

Through these endeavors, the federal government provides funding for nearly half of the research and development efforts on a national scale, and because of its major investment, the government has the highest number of patent rights in the country.

When funding research and development, the federal government enters into various types of contracts, including:

• Research grant agreements
  • Procurement contracts
  • Cooperative agreements

These contracts and agreements exist to set the terms of developmental, experimental, and research work funded at least partially by the federal government. Any inventions that come from these federally funded R&D efforts are retained by the U.S. Federal Government. Those rights are included in the “Government Interest Statement,” found on every patent and patent application in the country.

Those rights include irrevocable and non-exclusive licenses that are free of royalties on thousands of patents owned by the U.S. Government. The government also has all types of other rights associated with its patents, including the right to approve assignments, march-in rights, the right to require a license on a background patent, the right to require licensing by the owner, the right to limit the terms of the agreement, and the right to reverse ownership. 

One complex problem that comes from R&D funded by the federal government is deciding who owns the right to the patent, between any government employees, university employees, government contractors or subcontractors, and universities, as well as the government itself.

When deciding how to allocate government funds for R&D, the process is heavily regulated by federal acquisition regulations, federal laws, and executive orders, along with policies and regulations from more than 25 different governmental agencies.

When allocating patent rights between the government and governmental employees, this action is detailed in Executive Order 10096. Government employees are not contracted in their employment, which is different from employees in the private sector. 

In 1950, Executive Order 10096 went into effect to create a universal method to allocate patent rights between government agencies and their employees. >>

More about this can easily be found with an internet search for federal ownership of patents.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

I think you need to get used to not more then 70% will be vaccinated.  People don't want it and will never agree to it.  I am one of them.  

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset - In answer to your question.  No, the AZ COVID shot does not utilize the mRNA technology. AZ and J&J shots contain synthetic DNA each enveloped by a different type of adenovirus.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 - I am sorry that you do not know about the OTT or of the patent that our government has on the mRNA technology used in two of the current COVID shots (along with over 50 other patents on vaccine technology).

OTT stands for Office of Technology Transfer.  

Here's the title of an article discussing the NIH patent on the mRNA technology: "NIH Scientist Who Developed Key Vaccine Technology Says Patent Gives US Leverage Over Big Pharma"

Here's a quote from the article:

"A leading National Institutes of Health scientist who helped develop a key technology used in Pfizer and Moderna's coronavirus vaccines said this week that the U.S. government's ownership of the patent for the invention gives the Biden administration significant leverage to compel pharmaceutical companies to help boost global production."

"While Pfizer's partner BioNTech has licensed the technology from the U.S. government and is paying royalties, Moderna has not—and the Biden administration has not attempted to enforce the patent.

According to researchers at New York University School of Law, Moderna—whose vaccine was developed with a massive infusion of public funding—could be on the hook for more than a billion dollars in compensation should the U.S. decide to sue the pharmaceutical giant, which has thus far sold most of its doses to rich countries.

You stated: "It's incredible that  anyone would think the federal government  is in the business of "holding patents" for profit."

Whatever their motives, financial or otherwise, there is quite a lot of money to be made by any individual or corporation holding these mRNA patents, or any other patent that is used for a product produced and distributed to billions of people. I guess your High School Civics class failed to cover that economic fact.

Are you insinuating that patent holders of vaccine technology do not make a significant profit when billions of units of mRNA products are sold? Bill G., himself, has stated that for every single dollar he spends on vaccines, he makes $20 in profit. Vaccines are very big business, very lucrative, especially if everyone on the planet over age 6 months is being advised and/or coerced to take them as a condition of employment or attending college.

Trusted Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

This isn't a political or religious issue, it is a health issue and I have said that before.  I am grateful for the vaccine and I hope more and more people will be vaccinated. Good health to all!

@spiderw Thank you! You said it perfectly. How this became a political issue I don't know. Get vaccinated people! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jersey BornThank you.  I was wondering.