Honored Contributor

Re: 1 week update on wifes brain surgery.

@Desertdi 

Whew! That was a close call!

837514213.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Pooky, I'm glad things are improving a bit. As with any major surgery, recovery is completed in steps. I agree that rest is crucial. You, shouldering much of the responsibility and helpful friends are a blessing. The more you can do to automatically take care of things, to foresee Ria's needs are very positive steps forward. 

There's been many excellent suggestions regarding thwarting constipation. I agree with those who've noted that what she eats is an important component as well. I would contact the doctor's office who might be able to offer some solutions.

Dough rising for pretzels?? You're a good man...

I applaud you for noting things will take time. The process differs for everyone, but it is obvious you understand this which is so encouraging. Small steps in their own time.

I will continue to pray for both of you.

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

When I had surgery, the nurse who came out to oversee my PT told me to try warming up some prune juice with a pat of butter melted & stirred into it for the constipation from pain meds.  It sounds kind of gross, but it didn't taste half bad & it worked!

that's always worked for me....but without the butter.....

Respected Contributor

I usually eat like 3 prunes or dates everyday for the same reason. I have multiple sclerosis so I need the extra and I like prunes and dates. Maria will say to me what are you eating and I say prunes. Want some and her answer is always no. She's ordered colLase and docalase . she's waiting for it to kick in.  Pretzels came out really good. I never made them before. She makes them.  She texted me this morning and said I will try to do better. I said what. Your doing what your supposed to do. Rest and recover. I get where she's coming from. I had back surgery 18 years ago and it drove me nuts not to do anything. Especially laundry. I love to do laundry. As soon as I could. I snuck down cellar to do a load of laundry. Maria wasn't happy when she realized I went down cellar. And I said. I'm taking it back.

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 . I'm hoping with a little time she'll be feeling like herself again. Any surgery is a shock to ones system. I have kept her on my prayer list. Sounds like she picked the right guy in life that will take care of her. You both take care.

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 I am happy to read. that Ria is coming along better each day. And you, sir, are. a saint! The delicious food & housekeeping bring a kind of normalcy to help get Ria up & going. Bless you both! 💐
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a sweet man you seem to be.  Cooking, caring for your wife, and taking time to update us make you #1 in my book.  I hope each day gets easier for your wife.  

Trusted Contributor

You might want to add a cup of activia yogurt to her diet each day in addition to whatever else she is using to try and alleviate the problem. She will feel so much better when her system is back to normal. Bran muffins are another good source . It sounds like you are taking very good care of her by cooking such nice meals. I know just your presence is comforting to her. We continue our prayers for Maria that she continue to feel better each day and God gives you the courage and strength to be the best caregiver possible. Being the caregiver is a hard job, and you are one of the unsung heroes.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1   I am glad to hear Maria is on the mend.  I imagine it will take some time to get back to normal, with your cooking, it may be sooner.Smiley Happy

I awoke from a surgery and immediately upsied, probably more normal than not.

I will be over for some of the pretzels, lol, love them with salt and mustard.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

I usually eat like 3 prunes or dates everyday for the same reason. I have multiple sclerosis so I need the extra and I like prunes and dates. Maria will say to me what are you eating and I say prunes. Want some and her answer is always no. She's ordered colLase and docalase . she's waiting for it to kick in.  Pretzels came out really good. I never made them before. She makes them.  She texted me this morning and said I will try to do better. I said what. Your doing what your supposed to do. Rest and recover. I get where she's coming from. I had back surgery 18 years ago and it drove me nuts not to do anything. Especially laundry. I love to do laundry. As soon as I could. I snuck down cellar to do a load of laundry. Maria wasn't happy when she realized I went down cellar. And I said. I'm taking it back.

Spoiler

@Pooky1   I was constipated after a hip replacement and was not told this could happen due to the pain meds, developed tiny hemrhoids, which don't give me any trouble.  I wonder if oatmeal would help, it is good for cleaning one out, among other things.

My laundry room would love you, lol.