Honored Contributor

Re: 1 week update on wifes brain surgery.

@nana59 wrote:

glad to hear your wife is doing well.....as far as how pain meds affect your digestive system.....i have found that prune juice does the job!!  hope you give it a try.....works for me every time.......other posters have agreed......

@nana59 

Or even nibble on dried prunes, kinda like a sweet treat!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

You are such a sweety @Pooky1.

Still praying for both of you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

glad to hear your wife is doing well.....as far as how pain meds affect your digestive system.....i have found that prune juice does the job!!  hope you give it a try.....works for me every time.......other posters have agreed......

@nana59 

Or even nibble on dried prunes, kinda like a sweet treat!

yup.......i've always liked prunes...but i know some people have never tried them.....they're delicious....

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1   happy to know Maria is home and you are there for her.  the hospitals, i have found, are not good at giving directions re:  elimination. And you do need pain meds, no question!  

with pain meds,  stool softeners are not enough. Miralax, w Senocot and/ or Dulcolax got me through the critical first week/second week. Sure fiber is great but with Oxy you have to kick start - believe me i have been there, its the same c r a p each time.

once she gets "going" she can adjust.  i have a pic in my phone when i sent DH to Wally World to get my "****** combo". my neck surgery was the worst ever, and RIH refused to give me any more than Colace, then shipped me off to the SNF.

you can adjust once on a regualar regimen.  HTH and you are a wonderful caregiver!

Honored Contributor

Sending You Thoughts and Prayers Folded Greeting Card

Honored Contributor

I am very familiar with that surgery.  It is a rough surgery, but normally has wonderful results.

I was going to ask lastweek, if that is what she had, but didn't feel it was the right moment.

@Pooky1   Your wife is so lucky to have you in her life, you are a blessing to her.

I will be keeping you both in my prayers.

the pain meds given after that surgery are fierce and they will cause bowel problems.

unless there is a reason you cannot, due to  diabetes, etc.  try mixing brown sugar in  her food...like oatmeal, or mix brown sugar in warm milk...candied sweet potatoes.  

Brown sugar is a mild and effective way to get things moving quickly.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1     Re "the bathroom"...if all else fails, mineral oil WORKS.

I echo everyones' sentiments:   You are a GREAT husband!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

When I had surgery, the nurse who came out to oversee my PT told me to try warming up some prune juice with a pat of butter melted & stirred into it for the constipation from pain meds.  It sounds kind of gross, but it didn't taste half bad & it worked!

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1   Thank you for the update.  With your good care, Maria should be on the road to a quick recovery.  

"Smooth Move Tea" works wonders.  I have recommended it to many.  Just be sure to let the tea bag seep for a minimum of 16 minutes.  I usually give it 30 minutes.  

Along with prunes, dried apricots work well. Sometimes too well!

Still sending prayers and good wishes.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

@Pooky1   Loved your comment...."your job is to rest and recover"...yes!  With that attitude, Ria will be up and about shortly.  You might want to concentrate on fruits/veggies for the constipation/healing and check out 732 Hz for sleeping on You Tube (play it for her when she as she is resting and it will facilitate sleep).  Wishing both of you the best of health...you are a wonderful caretakerHeart