Honored Contributor

Re: 👩🏾‍⚕️ Flu Mask 👩🏾‍⚕️

wrote:

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at Sat, Jan 27, 2018-1.08.24 PM.png

Never leave my front door w/o one.  I live in a highrise community w/the mailboxes in the lobby, activities in the community room.  Both places always have folks lingering around.  All elevators have anti-bacterial soap at the entrance.

I Wear the mask when I go out & about too!   I keep a spare mask in my glove department.  Will do so until this flu season is over. 

I have never had the flu nor ever gotten a flu shot.  I don't fix what ain't broken.  That being said, I am not taking any chances either.  Reason why I have stocked up on my flu masks.  CVS has them in their pharmacy section-FREE!

Becoming a snowbird in Hawaii is sounding pretty darn good right about now. Smiley Tongue

@Mz iMac

This type of face mask is totally ineffective against the flu. The CDC recommends the N95.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Per Mayo Clinic....

"Flu viruses travel through the air in droplets when someone with the infection coughs, sneezes or talks.

You can inhale the droplets directly, or you can pick up the germs from an object — such as a telephone or computer keyboard — and then transfer them to your eyes, nose or mouth.

Flu masks may help block airborne germs, and they may also prevent the transmission of germs from your hands to your mouth or nose." 

They are NOT totally ineffective against the flu!

No mask can keep you from getting the flu germs on your hands and touching your eyes, nose or mouth.  That is not their purpose. 

They will prevent most of the airborne germs!  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Per Mayo Clinic....

"Flu viruses travel through the air in droplets when someone with the infection coughs, sneezes or talks.

You can inhale the droplets directly, or you can pick up the germs from an object — such as a telephone or computer keyboard — and then transfer them to your eyes, nose or mouth.

Flu masks may help block airborne germs, and they may also prevent the transmission of germs from your hands to your mouth or nose." 

They are NOT totally ineffective against the flu!

No mask can keep you from getting the flu germs on your hands and touching your eyes, nose or mouth.  That is not their purpose. 

They will prevent most of the airborne germs!  

@Zhills

You are so on point!  Reason why when I am out & about, I keep a small bottle of anti-bacterial gel which dissolves as you rub your hands.  I also keep several bottles in my car.  Strange, it does not freeze.  After I touch something, out comes the bottle. Smiley Very Happy

I live in a 55+ community.  Last year, the police dropped off thousands of those purse size gels.  You can also pick some up at the municiple building - FREE!  When my GS was visiting over the holidays, I sent him back home w/about 50 bottles.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

wrote:

A mask is only good as long as it has the proper fit and once used it cannot not offer the same amount of protection. The n95 respirators are the ones the CDC recommends for virus protection but you must get the correct size and they are not cheap.

@SilleeMee  I know it's going to look foolish, but DH and I are planning to wear the respirator masks (looking at VOG and another one I can't remember the name of) when we fly to Florida in a couple of weeks.  You're right, they aren't cheap.

Respected Contributor

Wearing a mask absolutely can protect the wearer - it can go both ways.  I wore one at times for protection when going through chemo, per my doctors recommendation.  I heard on the news it helps about 80%. I guess it depends on which news you watch!

Respected Contributor

I generally stay clear of people in our area wearing a mask.  It usually means they have the flu.  I can't imagine why people who have it feel the need to be out and about.  We took the flu shots back in October and neither of us have had it.  Local health department officials say we have about another month until it starts to fade off into the sunset.  We are staying pretty close to home these days.

Honored Contributor

It's not that the disposable paper masks don't provide any protection, they are just limited in that ability.  People often misuse them as well, with repeated wearings instead of a one time thing and pitching it.  The N95 respirators are able to filter out smaller particles.  With either, a snug, proper fit is key so the bugaboos aren't able to sneak through the gaps.  

Here's what the FDA has to say about both:

The FDA on Protective Face Masks and N95 Respirators

Anti-bacterial products (wipes and hand products) aren't really the way to go as it's been shown that with society's increased use of these products, stronger strains of bacteria are being created.  Thorough hand washing with plain soap and water is still recommended.  If that isn't possible, a waterless, alcohol gel hand sanitizer like Purell is recommended, which is different from an antibacterial product.  

Esteemed Contributor

It is a good idea.  Last year we flew to Europe with friends and they laughed at me and my husband for wearing a mask on the plane.   Needless to say they became very sick when we arrived home and we did not!!  Just sayin.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

It is a good idea.  Last year we flew to Europe with friends and they laughed at me and my husband for wearing a mask on the plane.   Needless to say they became very sick when we arrived home and we did not!!  Just sayin.

@LindaSalWhat kind of mask did you and your DH wear?  I'm shopping right now and will probably purchase from Amazon within the next couple of days.

Honored Contributor

A 47 year old woman in Alabama just died.   She was otherwise healthy, exercised, planning her wedding.

Got the flu, a week later she had a fatal heart attack.

The CDC is investigating all flu "deaths" .

44 so far in Alabama

Not sure that anything is completely safe in the way of prevention.  It seems so random, not your typical "old people and the very young"

I'm in my 60s and we have a newborn in the family.   We've stayed out of crowds the best we can.   Do all the handwashing and sanitizing.    We only shop briefly, in shifts, for necessities & never take the baby.   I don't live in a   "community"