WEN

Frequent Contributor

wen brushes - bad rubber smell

these brushes work very well but i can't get rid of the strong rubber smell, even after two weeks of trying.  i washed them with WEN WVM CC, air them out in the sun daily, & spray them twice a day with fall RTM's,  the odor is almost as strong as that first day when i could smell them across the room.
i am a huge fan of WEN & Chaz, but if i can't get the smell down to where i can use them without becoming nauseas, i will have to return them.  no point in exchanging if the next ones smell the same Smiley Sad

any resolution suggestions r welcomed. 

Respected Contributor

Re: wen brushes - bad rubber smell

I got one brush from Chaz's site a few months ago and yeah, I can smell it but it's not really strong.  I think it'll just fade in time.  I'm sure the smell won't hurt anyone physically, it's just what they're made with.  I'll say this, I've never used a brush that gave my hair bounce even the next day after sleeping all night.  I have brushes that are the exact same style but NOT in any way made the same way and do not make the same results.  I keep my Wen brushes in the plastic, inside the box.  Maybe the smell would go quicker if you keep them out, don't put them back in the box?  It's amazing because they are as light as a feather.  That's a shame that the smell bothers you but they let you return anything you're not happy with.  Some people said they've washed them and they could still smell it.  I really don't know what to suggest but don't wait too long if you want to return them.  I'm sorry I can't figure it out though.

Respected Contributor

@sznk No real suggestion for you as I decided to send mine back. But if you are on the fence, remember you have until Jan. 31st to return them. That’s a fair amount of time to see if the smell dissipates at all. No rush!!

Respected Contributor

Yes, that's true!  I forgot that they give you until the end of January.  Not bad!

Respected Contributor

I noticed the smell, too. It is not that bad to me, but is noticeable. I am hoping the smell will decrease with time. ??? 

Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Super Contributor

I looked up how to get the smell out of a rubber yoga mat, the only thing I could think of where someone would have the same issue Smiley Very Happy. I did find some suggestions, inclduing washing it more often the first few weeks and airing it out in a spot with no direct sun (will break down the rubber). They suggested apple cider vinegar for the mat, but I'm not sure that's applicable in this case.

Frequent Contributor

thnx for the suggestions.

i am so sad for Chaz, losing Spencer.  i will just keep the brushes, & hopefully the smell will dissipate...  Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

After reading this thread I had to run and check for any odors with my brushes since I opened them quickly and just left them.  I am happy to report no odor here.  Since I'm super sensitive to any chemical odors it would have affected me when I opened them but I did it so quickly I didn't remember.

Super Contributor

I oredered the brushes and just love the scalp massage I get from the paddle brush, but there is definitely a rubber smell that does stay in my hair for a bit after I’ve brushed it, but the smell is definitely Lessening over time. I was in my local TJMaxx the other day and saw paddle brushes and decided to smell them just to see, and I couldn’t believe it but all the paddle brushes smelled like the same rubber too? So odd!