WEN

Regular Contributor

suggestions for hair going down hill

Weners I need your help! I've used wen for 5ish years and all of the sudden my hair is really frizzy. I don't get it. I can't use seasonals due to protein so it's not that. I added CA this summer to give a deeper clean but other than that, the same POM CC and fig I've always used. I have the mask and use it weekly but then next washing, very frizzy again. Should I take a break from wen? Anyone else have this happen? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: suggestions for hair going down hill

@elrager, wouldn't it be best to call Chaz's CS and ask for advice and/or suggestions?  This way you get the best advice/suggestions from the creator of the products.

The phone number is on each product.

I know that many Wenner's and others as well, will give you advice and/or suggestions but the best would be coming from Chaz Dean.  Just saying ...

Best wishes!

Regular Contributor

@mzlg Thanks for your suggestion. I am thinking of taking a break from wen. Doubt the wen phone line would make this recommendation LOL! I was looking for someone who has had this same experience to guide me.

Esteemed Contributor

@elrager wrote:

Weners I need your help! I've used wen for 5ish years and all of the sudden my hair is really frizzy. I don't get it. I can't use seasonals due to protein so it's not that. I added CA this summer to give a deeper clean but other than that, the same POM CC and fig I've always used. I have the mask and use it weekly but then next washing, very frizzy again. Should I take a break from wen? Anyone else have this happen? 

I'm thinking dry heated air and winter winds are taking a toll. I'd try laying off the clarifying CA and going to a richer CC& leave-in, like 613 or 319. I'd add maybe a weekend in oils.

I believe there's a right Wen (or combination of formulas) for everyone. (barring allergies, of course.)

I wouldn't "take a break from Wen" if I shaved my head since it's so good to my scalp too.

My hair is severely dry, even with Wen. It's worse in winter than it is during the humid summer.

This time of year I will add a squirt of 613 to my 2nd cleanse, and use a (16oz ) double pump of 613 as a leave in. Even with styling cream, tons of mousse, my hair will occasionally still be static-y dry and wanting to frizz. I finish my hair off with Wen texturing balm to break the static frizz. 

@elrager

Esteemed Contributor

My hair, dry as it is, doesn't respond as well to the mask as it does to generous amount of 613 leave in, and weekend oils.

Possibly try foregoing the mask for a while.

Also, make sure your hair is really soaking wet when you use Wen. Don't just add that "splash" of water. I initially had problems when I started using the rice based Wen. My hair got very dry and frizzy looking and I realized after a few cleanses that I needed to incorporate a lot more water during the cleansing process.

Trusted Contributor

@elrager I think you might want to try a different CC.  This happened to me about 6 months or so after I 1st started using WEN.  After getting advice on here I upped the amount of CC I was using.  My hair had gotten longer and thicker and I needed more CC!  I also started to dunk my head under the water spray instead of just splashing.  Problem solved !  To this day I always use a little more than I probably need...just in case !  Good luck with finding a solution !!

Valued Contributor

CA is more like a clarifying product, an astringent like cleanser in Chazs line. He recommends it mostly for oily girls that need it or to clarify ever now and then with it.

Respected Contributor

Have you tried the Finishing Treatment Creme to smooth down the frizz? You could also add a drop or two of oil to your leave-in CC or add it to dry hair.

If you don't have an oily scalp CA may not be the right CC for you. I have a very oily scalp so CA works great for me but maybe you don't need something quite that astringent.

Honored Contributor

@elrager

I think CA may not be moisturizing enough for your hair, and as others have mentioned, you might want to try a finisher.  SC works wonderfully for me.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

I have very fine, curly hair and always have some frizz no matter what I do. Lately I have been using more leave-in CC and letting everything but my bangs dry naturally. Comb through with WEN comb while wet and let it dry completely before combing again. Then tame any frizz with SC. It works beautifully.

Changing to a different formula may help. My hair rebels from time to time and I find I need to use SAM to bring it back. Most of the time SAM doesn't agree with my hair, but once in awhile I need to change it up. Maybe that is all that's happening.

If you really find the need, maybe a clarifying shampoo would help every once in awhile, although I have never had the need to do this. Followed by WEN as conditioner. Maybe doing this will "reset" things. In 4 years I have never needed to do this but before I would stop using WEN, I would try it.

Good luck to you.