WEN

Super Contributor

comparison of MIL to BGT and POM, please?

Ladies:  Thus far, I have resisted buying MIL because I find the Bamboo a bit drying, but I bought the MIL volumizer and really like the scent, so I am on the fence.

I do like POM and some of the other seasonals, so I don't think it's the rice based formula.

I also resisted last year's spring lilac - because I have found the other florals (SGGT and LAV) to be drying.

My favorite formulas (based on performance) are: WWC,  SHP, 613, POM, & SAM.

How do other find MIL compares with BGT, POM, WWC and/or SHP?

Thank you in advance.

Michele

Honored Contributor

Re: comparison of MIL to BGT and POM, please?

@theatrebiz wrote:

Ladies:  Thus far, I have resisted buying MIL because I find the Bamboo a bit drying, but I bought the MIL volumizer and really like the scent, so I am on the fence.

I do like POM and some of the other seasonals, so I don't think it's the rice based formula.

I also resisted last year's spring lilac - because I have found the other florals (SGGT and LAV) to be drying.

Thank you in advance.

Michele

Pom and the seasonals are SOY based, not rice based, so they are not the same as the rice formulas.

Bamboo Green Tea was much too drying for me and I gave it up. I found that Mandarin Italian Fig was also too drying for me, though it was better than the BGT. I can use it if I mix it with Fig, but I won't repurchase.

If you like the scent, you can still use the MIF styling products and get the scent from those. You might want to give the mousse a try.

Super Contributor

Chynna:  you are right, I was confused about the rice vs soy.

Thanks for the comparison.   I am not a fan of mousse - I can't seem to get it right, too much leaves my hair feeling gummy/weighed down, too little it doesn't seem to do anything.

Maybe I will stick with the MIL volumizer (which I use like hairspray), would love the SC and the volumizer to come packaged together.....

So much WEN...

Michele

Trusted Contributor

@Michele5004 I think some hair types just respond to one of the base proteins better than the others. I have the opposite reaction because my hair loves the rice, but not the soy. Wenners who can use them all are so lucky! I've just gotten some styling in WWC which smells UHMAIZING, but I'm not going to bother with the CC because I know what works. It is so great to be able to have fun with scents in other ways though.

Valued Contributor

I have to stickwith the soy and riced based formulas due to gluten sensitivity.  I can compare them. 

Bgt is far more cleansing and drying for me.  Mif and the new ff are exactly the same in my hair, both much more moisturizing than bgt.  Pom is ok, my daughter loves it though.  In my hair, ff and mif are the most moisturizing of the formulas you listed, then pom, then bgt.

My holy grail combo is ff first cleanse and wvm second. 

Valued Contributor

I find MIF to be much more moisturizing than BGT for my hair.  I love it!

Respected Contributor

@theatrebiz wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Michele

@Michele5004 re the bolded statement above...SGGT and LAV do not have the honey that Spring Honey Lilac has. SHL was more moisturizing for me because of the honey (though I can use the other 2 as well).

I find MIF more moisturizing than BGT (though, again, I can use the BGT).

POM is my favorite Classic.

I am a mixer, though, and will almost always mix a more drying formula with a more moisturizing one, at least until I use up the more drying ones. I rarely use one formula alone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@theatrebiz wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Michele

Hi Michele ( @Michele5004 ), 

I have baby fine hair and can use all of the formulas except for: 

* Sweet Almond Mint & Fig -- too heavy for my hair 

* Lavender -- it makes my hair frizzy and is dries it out a bit. -- However, the spring floral Seasonals work well on my hair.

I've tried every formula except for Wen Men, Spring Honey Lilac, Wen Kids Apple & Wen Kids Strawberry-Banana (I have tried Wen Kids WaterMelon), and all the other formulas work equally well on my hair. -- So my hair does well with the wheat, soy and rice based formulas. 

That said, Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF) and the new rice-based Fragrance Free (FF) CC -- which is basically fragrance free MIF -- work the very best on my hair... because both of them give my hair an additional moisture boost. 

Bamboo Green Tea (BGT) is the third formula in this rice-based, bamboo water infused Restorative line (in addition to MIF and FF). -- BGT was my favorite CC until Chaz created MIF and FF. My hair really likes the heavy dose of bamboo water in this line (added strength plus flexibility). BGT just doesn't work as well for my hair as MIF and FF do, because the BGT ingredients deck is somewhat different from the MIF and FF ingredients decks.

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

If I need moisture I love MIF (you do mean MIF don't you?) and have replaced my beloved FIG with it.

I'm a fan of BGT because it gives me volume and shine.

However, I mix it at 1/2 (something moisturizing) 613, SHP, or MIF 

And 1/2 BGT.

Enjoy!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I can use any of the bases, wheat, soy and rice. I tend to prefer the ones with the richer consistency.

Mandarin Italian Fig is more moisturizing than Bamboo Green Tea for me. I found that using it too often made my hair too limp and soft, but really silky.

I really like the BGT and so does my hair. It is a good balance. The POM works well too; I just don't care for the scent.

I like the Lavender and never found it to be drying, but the volumizing spray is very drying to me.

I think the earlier CC's that were wheat based have a richer consistency and I like that. The newer ones feel thin to me and I have mixed 613 in to amp them up a little.

The SHL has jumped to the top with FGP for me. It also mixes very well with SHP. Both leave my hair smelling delicious and looking great.