WEN

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you change Wen instructions?

I guess maybe you're right @HSB1204. Chaz has certainly gone out of his way to put the information out there! I've never seen another product line give so much info.

That lady throwing away all her Wen really got to me. It's been bugging me all day 

It must be really frustrating to Chaz to read negative reviews based on user error.

How do users read the bottle and get the idea if they need 10 pumps on the first cleanse, they'll only need 5 pumps on the 2nd? 

You see, they know they divide the pumps, but totally misunderstand. I've seen that one a few times recently.

And what about the ones who think they're supposed to "cream" their hair with virtually no water?

I keep wondering what people are doing to get "greasy" results. Is it too little Wen, or too little water?

Well, thanks all for kicking this idea around for a while.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge  Yeah, I think the number of pumps is probably a big part of the problem. Before I switched to Wen I used different high end shampoo brands and you didn't need much at all so I can see how people might be tempted to use less than what is listed on the label because they figure they can't possibly need that much. The people who end up with greasy hair probably didn't use as much as they were supposed to or maybe they didn't rinse it out completely.

Chaz posted some videos before where new clients came to the salon and he would ask them how many pumps they were using. There was one girl who was using way less than she was supposed to.

Obviously lots of us have had success with Wen but I guess there will always be some who find it confusing or for some reason it just doesn't work for their hair.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife

I even froth my dollop up with water in my palms before I put it on my hair.

Kiss, kiss to Toby!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

In the beginning I used way too little and I didn't comprehend the splash of water.  I watched every time Chaz was on too.  LOL finally found the boards here and got excellent advice. Now I use more than I need ( in case my hair grew overnight).  Actually that kinda happened.  My hair got longer and thicker and I needed more CC😛.  And I don't do a handful splash anymore.  I just stick my head into the stream of water and all is good in WENhairland😁

Honored Contributor

I wash my hair in the shower.    I had to do a trial & error for a while before I got it right.  I had already used a different brand of cleasing conditioner  prior so I had some knowledge of how it works.   Different formulas of Wen react differently.    I finally found the routine that works for me--the right amount of water with the right amount of product.   I guess if all you've done is slather a ton of shampoo on your head all your life, it can be a bit frustrating when changing to Wen but sooooo worth it.    And no, no amount of instructions on the bottle will change anything.   Like other posters have mentioned, Chaz is all over the internet and you can call his number for help.   What more can he possibly do?    Each person is different.    Different hair.  I even  use it on  my face.    I wear foundation almost every day and Wen cleans my face like nothing ever before.

Super Contributor

Great thread.  I was one of the ones who followed the instructions to the letter, got bad results, and stopped using WEN.  Thank God for these boards and being set straight on different ways of using.  The water piece makes a huge difference.  I just put my head under the shower spray for a second after applying the CC and work that water in.  I repeat this at least three or four more times during my first cleanse and feel it has made a tremendous difference, really distributes the CC evenly throughout my hair.

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge

okay - all good but I am confused about why the labels/instructions are confusing??

Respected Contributor

@untitled wrote:

@x Hedge

okay - all good but I am confused about why the labels/instructions are confusing??

@untitled I think the instructions on the label are confusing because of the "splash" of water" thing (takes a good bit more than splashes) AND the labels don't mention about "frothing" the Wen up well. There's so much emphasis with Wen on NOT using lather on your hair, that people don't expect to see bubbles of any kind. They just moosh the Wen thru their hair like shampoo and try to rinse it out. It just won't rinse properly if you don't get that "froth" going. Personally, I think that is what causes most of the buildup some people complain about...and MAY contribute to bad reactions and hair loss.

Before I bought my 1st bottle of Wen, I watched presentations for about a year...and spent time reading just about every thread on this forum. Consequently, I knew about "frothing" and using lots more water than just a "splash" or two (I stick my head under the shower stream for a couple of seconds, and again if I think I need it). I've never had any problems with buildup or anything but clean, shiny hair!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I see what you're trying to say @x Hedge. Sadly I think no matter how good the instructions are, people just don't always read full instructions. I can honestly say I'm guilty of that myself. I have to agree these boards and Chaz' QVC videos have helped me tons. 

One switch in instructions Chaz made that I thought was a great idea was instruct people to measure using numbers of golf balls instead of pumps. Unfortunately you have to watch his videos to hear that though because I don't think it's on any of the bottles. Of course, I'm pretty sure I saw a question about Wen somewhere that asked what size golf ball (????!!!!!). 

Adding enough water is also key and it could be my imagination, but I've notice newly opened bottles seem to froth more easily.

**typos galore edit!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge

there is only a finite space for any label.  I think Chaz 'obsesses' over every detail and there is reason behind what is printed.

i reread the labels and it is all there and however one defines a "splash".

All Chaz does on social media is teach people.

I had a Philosophy Professor that said "One is not ready to really hear until one is ready to listen." It is like o duh thst is what Chaz meant.  my Wen experIence is in constant flux and even after five years - I still keep learning something new.

actually that might be "not ready to listen until ready to hear. I don't remember now,  but I do remember it having a profound effect on how I thought about things. But just a bunch of philosophical rhetoric anyway.