WEN

Super Contributor

Which summer seasonal to try?

I'm wondering if I could get some suggestions about which summer seasonal to try. They all sound so yummy!

I am new to Wen, just started using it about a month ago, and I'm really happy with my hair so far! I started with the sweet almond mint and pomegranate combo. The SAM seemed a little drying to me. I found that if I use it for my first wash and the pomegranate for the second and leave in it seems to work OK. My hair looks great using the POM.

A little bit about my hair. It's fairly healthy, never color treated or permed. It is naturally wavy and I would love to be able to let it air dry, but when I do it gets sort of soft and fluffy, but not shiny.   When I use the blow dryer it's been looking pretty fantastic. With the humidity in the summer as soon as I step outside it gets "poofy".   I have plenty of body.  When I was younger my hair was very oily but now that I am 47 I can go a day or two between washes but my roots still get oily fairly quickly, while the ends are a bit dry. I use argon oil on them and I have the Teatree next on my list to try also Smiley Happy. I've been lucky that I have almost no gray, but I'm starting to get some of those gray wirey the pieces growing in.

I don't think my hair responds well to extra protein. The couple of times I have tried the "it's a 10 Keratin" or other keratin products for fizziness they made my hair very dry and brittle.

So any suggestions about which summer seasonal to try? I know you can return things but would lose the cost of shipping both ways. If I could find it in a store near me I feel more comfortable experimenting.

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Which summer seasonal to try?

brdwygurl,

The summer seasonals are wonderful.  You would be happy with any of them.  Summer honey peach is probably the most moisturizing.  The scent is amazing.  In the shower it smells like a ripe juicy peach.  This happens to be my favorite,  I purchased the styling cream, mousse, treatment mist,  and oil on the Chaz Dean studio site.  I'm very happy with the performance I get with all those products.  The oil is especially nice.  I use it on my face at night and also rub it into my cuticles a few times a day.  Summer  Mango coconut is the next best moisturizing.  I really like this one too.  The scent is like a day at the beach....fruity tropical...Summer Coconut lime verbena is a brisk, refreshing scent.  Smells mostly of lime and verbena to me.  Not so much coconut.   The cc formula is the lightest of the three.  The oil in sclv is super absorbant and the smell is great in the oil.  If your roots get oily, why not try tea tree for your first cleanse and follow with a fabulous scented summer seasonal?  You can go wrong!!

Respected Contributor

@Brdwygurl wrote:

I'm wondering if I could get some suggestions about which summer seasonal to try. They all sound so yummy!

I am new to Wen, just started using it about a month ago, and I'm really happy with my hair so far! I started with the sweet almond mint and pomegranate combo. The SAM seemed a little drying to me. I found that if I use it for my first wash and the pomegranate for the second and leave in it seems to work OK. My hair looks great using the POM.

A little bit about my hair. It's fairly healthy, never color treated or permed. It is naturally wavy and I would love to be able to let it air dry, but when I do it gets sort of soft and fluffy, but not shiny.   When I use the blow dryer it's been looking pretty fantastic. With the humidity in the summer as soon as I step outside it gets "poofy".   I have plenty of body.  When I was younger my hair was very oily but now that I am 47 I can go a day or two between washes but my roots still get oily fairly quickly, while the ends are a bit dry. I use argon oil on them and I have the Teatree next on my list to try also Smiley Happy. I've been lucky that I have almost no gray, but I'm starting to get some of those gray wirey the pieces growing in.

I don't think my hair responds well to extra protein. The couple of times I have tried the "it's a 10 Keratin" or other keratin products for fizziness they made my hair very dry and brittle.

So any suggestions about which summer seasonal to try? I know you can return things but would lose the cost of shipping both ways. If I could find it in a store near me I feel more comfortable experimenting.

Thanks!

I would suggest that you try the summer honey peach before any of the other summer formulas.  It is the most moisturizing of the summer formulas.  It is my favorite of any of the seasonals.  I like the other summer seasonals but probably like SCLV a bit more than SMC since I am not really a big fan of coconut fragrances.   

Respected Contributor

@40nu20 wrote:

brdwygurl,

The summer seasonals are wonderful.  You would be happy with any of them.  Summer honey peach is probably the most moisturizing.  The scent is amazing.  In the shower it smells like a ripe juicy peach.  This happens to be my favorite,  I purchased the styling cream, mousse, treatment mist,  and oil on the Chaz Dean studio site.  I'm very happy with the performance I get with all those products.  The oil is especially nice.  I use it on my face at night and also rub it into my cuticles a few times a day.  Summer  Mango coconut is the next best moisturizing.  I really like this one too.  The scent is like a day at the beach....fruity tropical...Summer Coconut lime verbena is a brisk, refreshing scent.  Smells mostly of lime and verbena to me.  Not so much coconut.   The cc formula is the lightest of the three.  The oil in sclv is super absorbant and the smell is great in the oil.  If your roots get oily, why not try tea tree for your first cleanse and follow with a fabulous scented summer seasonal?  You can go wrong!!

I agree with everything you said 40nu20 but I like the SCLV better than the SMC.

If your hair tends to get a little poofy the coconut lime verbena may not but the best choice

Respected Contributor

Personally I love the SMC and find that to be the most moisturizing. The CLV is the second most moisturizing. SHP just doesn't work for my hair at all. It leaves my hair extremely dry.

Valued Contributor

Welcome!! I would suggest that you do not try the seaonals yet. All the seaonals contain extra protein I believe. I have healthy, fine, naturally curly hair. Tea Tree, in my opinion, works great with my curly hair. And as for being too soft or fluffy, mine was as well when I first started with Wen. The Styling Cream made a difference for me. And the mousse made it even better. I use just about every formula now but Tea Tree is almost always part of my cleansing routine. I know when you first start using Wen, if your anything like me and most Wenners lol, you want to try just about everything. But like I said if you have issues with protein you might want to hold off on the seasonals for a while. Now that I have all Wen hair I can use both the seasonal and core formulas just fine. I hope you feel welcome here. The ladies here are so helpful and nice. They really helped me when I was starting on my Wen journey. Good luck!! Smiley Happy 

Love my Wen, Love my Animals! God Bless You All!
Super Contributor

Thanks  everyone for the input!  Lots to think about.  I didn't realize the seasonals had more protein, maybe I'll start with the TT

Honored Contributor

You've gotten some great advice here, as usual for WENERS!  In my book you can't go wrong with TT!

BTW - are you a 'Sha, la, la, la, la, la la, la, te, da'  Browneyedgirl?  I am.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Brdwygurl, it sounds like we have similar issues with wavy hair and humidity.

I think the Summer Mango Coconut leaves my hair feeling the best of the summer seasonals. Sweet Almond Mint and Pom both leave my hair feeling dry, but I can use anything if I follow it up with Fig for moisture.

If you're getting a lot of pouf in humidity, try adding some oil to your hair after your leave-in and before your other styling products. I use WEN oils, but you can use argan, sweet almond, or other oils. (You can use coconut oil, but it breaks me out, so I don't like it near my hair or scalp.) My favorite frizz-prevention treatment is Curl Keeper, by Curly Hair Solutioins. It's a Canadian product and I haven't been able to find it locally, but Amazon carries it. I was an idiot and stopped using it earlier this summer when it was the most humid and my hair was a constant struggle. I thought it wouldn't work with my other styling product (Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie). Lately I've been using the Curl Keeper under my Curl Enhancing Smoothie and it's been fantastic - no more frizz! I don't know why I ever took Curl Keeper out of my rotation, as it had proven itself in 90+ percent humidity time and time again.

Honored Contributor

@Brdwygurl , welcome to the Wen forum and the wenderful world of Wen!!! Smiley Happy 

That's great that POM worked out so well for your hair. As several other people have mentioned, you may want to stay away from the Seasonals for now becasue they do have the amino acid complex in them (as do BGT & MIF in the Restorative line, as well as 613). 

The only lines that do not have the amino acid complex in them are the Kids CCs and the Classics line. And as you probably already know, there will be a Classic line TSV which includes a 32oz CC and is priced at $59 on September 5th. 

From what you've said, I think that the TT CC would be an excellent one to try. You might want to think about purchasing a POM TSV in September, and choose the (expected) auto delivery plan option. Then you could modify your second shipment to the TT option if TT works well for your hair.

I just typed this information below up in another thread, but I though it might be helpful for you. 

Best of luck!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy 

____ 

If you're just starting to use Wen, it's probably a little bit confusing trying to figure out which TSV formula that you're going to try for the Wen Sept 5th TSV - 32oz. CC, 4oz. Oil, 12oz. RTM, & 6oz. SC. -- You may want to read through the Wen - Cleansing Conditioners in the Classic line - which formulas have worked, and which haven't? thread.

I'd recommend that you purchase the WEN by Chaz Dean 16oz. Cleansing Conditioner w/ Travel Packs kit right now. If you order right now, you'll probably have about three weeks to try these CCs out. 

I think that for most Wenners, it's hit or miss in the Classic line. Trying the the different Classic line CCs in this set will give you a much better understanding of which Classic CCs work best for your hair and which don't seem to work for your hair type. This will also give you the opportunity to find out which each of the Classic CCs smells like.

The $40 price is an excellent value (though, of course, not as good a value as the upcoming TSV). 

This way you won't be making a $59 mistake with the fall TSV. And if several of the CCs work well for your hair, then you can modify the expected auto delivery plan option and try out different Classic CCs for the (expected) remaining two shipments. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

___   

___