WEN

Super Contributor

Re: Which WEN cleansing/conditioner to use?

@Cristyn-Momof2 wrote:

Yes, I use exactly as directed.  I’ve never been able to get more than one day after shampooing but was hoping to with Wen; it gets pricey using every day

This is how I get three days out of one use. On days two and three I wet my hair in the shower with cool water then I use about the size of a quarter as a leave in conditioner. My hair looks like I just washed it on days two and three. Saves time and money. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Cristyn-Momof2 wrote:

I LOVE the seaonals and the first day my hair is amazing but i can never get more than one day, the next day my hair is greasy and weighed down.  Some have sugguested that they are "too much" for my hair.  I'm not crazy about the originals.  What if I tried Wen kids, do you think that might be lighter in my hair?@

☑   WEN Kids is a formula that's free of all the more common allergy triggers. That doesn't seem to be your problem.

☑   The complaint of results that are "greasy and weighed down" usually come from using:

not enough WEN

not enough water

not enough of both WEN and water

Have you tried using Wen classic Cucumber Aloe for your 1st cleanse, followed by a seasonal for your second cleanse?

Cucumber Aloe is their 'lightest formula', also it is most astringent and clarifying, formulated for dealing with a more oily scalp.

☑   For 1st and 2nd cleanse work the WEN and water into a light, frothy consistency on your scalp. Wen and water need each other, you shouldn't be 'creaming' your hair and scalp.  

But don't make the common mistake of applying the leave in to both scalp & hair. I think I used WEN at least a year before I had my 'duh!' moment and realized I was doing that without thinking.

Leave in goes on the hair only, not the scalp (duh!).

Honored Contributor

But don't make the common mistake of applying the leave in to both scalp & hair. I think I used WEN at least a year before I had my 'duh!' moment and realized I was doing that without thinking. Leave in goes on the hair only, not the scalp (duh!).

@x Hedge I know I have heard this before, don't put the leave-in on the scalp. But I don't know why. Since my hair is very, very short this last haircut, so it is almost impossible for me NOT to get some leave-in on my scalp. And then I use Chaz's comb to make sure the leave-in is distributed well throughout my hair, which again gives the leave-in a chance to be in contact with my scalp. 

When I asked Chaz one time about putting leave-in on my short hair, he said to just put a little bit in my hands and move my hands back and forth on the top of my hair, just barely touching it.....just the tips of the hair, as though I am trying to mess up my hair...that type of back and forth action.

But I failed to ask what was so bad about the leave-in touching the scalp. After all, it touches your scalp when you wash your hair and do the second cleanse. What is the reason to avoid the leave-in on one's scalp?

Thanks in advance for any help in understanding this you may be able to give. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler, just saw this. Sorry for the delay. I don't ever poke the little red notifications square, so sometimes I miss a question.

It's about chemistry, so I'll start with a disclaimer.

-I don't know any chemistry, and I certainly don't speak for Chaz, WEN, or any other cosmetics manufacturer.-

There are common cosmetic ingredients that are safe to use on skin at-or-below x number of parts per million (ppm), but the x factor varies with application.

So they (FDA or whoever tests this stuff and makes  'cosmetics' laws) might hypothetically say something like:

1.We are going to class cosmetics that are used in a way that will result in skin contact as either

rinse off products or leave on products. 

2.You cosmetic manufacturers can use chemical ABCD in your products at or below 100 ppm in a product that may either have incidental skin contact or is intended to be applied directy to skin, and later rinsed off the skin.

3.But chemical ABCD may not exceed 30 ppm in a product that is intended to be applied and left on the skin.

So @World Traveler, there's that reason to use products as the manufacturer intends & directs.

Now, when a WEN model says on air that she uses mousse on her skin and Chaz says (on air) that's ok, it's because (I'm purely speculating, cant speak for Chaz) he knows all the mousse ingredients are within the safe range for leaving on skin.

However, I've never heard him advise anyone to apply cc to their skin and leave it to dry on, so it's probably unwise.

Esteemed Contributor

@Newgate

Did you order any of the products that were recommended? Have you had a chance to try either of them?

Do keep us posted, please!♡♡♡

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

When I asked Chaz one time about putting leave-in on my short hair, he said to just put a little bit in my hands and move my hands back and forth on the top of my hair, just barely touching it.....just the tips of the hair, as though I am trying to mess up my hair...that type of back and forth action.

Your description for applying leave in to short hair is perfect!

I always said work it between the palms of your hands and apply in a 'pet the dog' motion, where you're smoothing flat hands across just the surface of the hair, but not curling fingers under hair to the scalp.

For my longer hair, I now bend forward at the waist and apply all my leave in products with my hair hanging down. I'm not concerned with the bit of incidental scalp contract I have after I stand upright, but I'm no longer absent mindedly apply leave in direct to scalp  -duh!

Trusted Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@Newgate

Did you order any of the products that were recommended? Have you had a chance to try either of them?

Do keep us posted, please!♡♡♡

@rochelleS  I have been using Mandarin Italian Fig.   I have noticed more shine to my hair but that is about it for now.   I had used 613 in the past and did not purchase it this time.   Stay tuned!Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are you applying SC and cc as your leave in? Any SC wil work. I find this an absolute in my cleansing process.

I've had fabulous volume results using the Texturing Treatment Spray, often demo'd to give a beachy, tousled look AND the Wen Men's Paste. The paste is off the charts for me. With a pea sized amount I get the most incredible volume. This product makes my hair FAT! Truly! I've never had any other product do what this does. I cover my palms and start a light touch at my roots going out. In sections, I cover all of my hair lightly, scrunching along the way after applying. You can spot apply too, where needed most. My hair is "out to there" another county, I joke. I scrunch it back to where I want it. My now, more voluminized "do" holds it shape just how I like it. This paste is hair magic for me. Abracadabra, lol, do consider this and the TT spray. Which many btw, use as hairspray too.

I adore the scent of the paste too. It is NOT masculine imo at all. It has a warm ginger vanilla scent I find to be inticing and very attractive. I even use the paste on my pulse points as fragrance.