WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: What product to get the flippy, tousled look?

@LucysMommy - Here's what I do:

I do my two-part cleanse, then use the reverse method for curly hair. I start with mousse on my dripping wet hair, then follow it with styling creme and finally the CC. I wrap my hair in a towel, but I don't move or touch the towel. When I take the towel off, I shake my head, then leave it alone. I don't touch it again!

I've never used a curling iron or straightener, although I used to blow dry it to look more professional. I don't use a blow dryer any more. I just let it go! It looks great on the first day, spectacular on the 2nd, and OK on the third. Then I repeat everything!

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Suebdoo wrote:

@x Hedge what a great video!  Thanks for posting it!  I'm lazy so l do the plopping 😜  I'm going to try the twist up again though.  Do you use just bobbi pins!  I AM going to try the glossing serum on dry hair too!  I've just been adding it to my SC on wet hair.  Love learning new things, even after 5 years😀

@Suebdoo,

I plop too. Keeps my wet head warm in winter!

But I'm sooooo lazy too, that most of the year I modify the technique shown in the vid.

Bending forward from the waist I gather my wet, but no longer dripping hair (without running my fingers thru it) and give it a half twist right at the crown, then wrap it around four fingers, then another half twist, then around again, repeat till you run out of hair. I get about four wraps around these days.

I have a spherical clip that holds that in place without crushing or leaving any marks. It's sort of like an uncovered plop that lets it continuing drying overnight.

In the morning I let it down, and without touching it, let it finish drying to the roots. I might use a little dry oil in lieu of glossing serum. (I've just talked myself into ordering glossing serum.) 

If it's humid I also use the texture balm, sc, and/or mousse on dry hair 2nd or 3rd day sometimes to prevent that 'wild haired crazy' look. 

I'll try to post a photo of that hair clip.

I spritz with RTM and twist-wrap-clip to sleep. Takes me less than 60 seconds to 'set' my hair! LOL

😉

IMG_20180613_143935.jpgIMG_20180613_144004.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Suebdoo, if my hair were shorter and I had to do several individual wraps, I'd half-twist and wrap around only three or two fingers and secure them with a bunch of these:

IMG_20180613_152447.jpg

Not Sure I could sleep on that though, but I think bobbi pins would be hard to handle and would leave creases in the hair.

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Suebdoo, if my hair were shorter and I had to do several individual wraps, I'd half-twist and wrap around only three or two fingers and secure them with a bunch of these:

IMG_20180613_152447.jpg

Not Sure I could sleep on that though, but I think bobbi pins would be hard to handle and would leave creases in the hair.

@x Hedge@@ok I have those duck clips...that's what I call em....I use those for lift at the roots when drying.  Another tip from here and YouTub

I have some France Luxe claw clips, thank you @suzyQ3 , that might work.  I'll try tonight or tomorrow!

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@LucysMommy - Here's what I do:

I do my two-part cleanse, then use the reverse method for curly hair. I start with mousse on my dripping wet hair, then follow it with styling creme and finally the CC. I wrap my hair in a towel, but I don't move or touch the towel. When I take the towel off, I shake my head, then leave it alone. I don't touch it again!

I've never used a curling iron or straightener, although I used to blow dry it to look more professional. I don't use a blow dryer any more. I just let it go! It looks great on the first day, spectacular on the 2nd, and OK on the third. Then I repeat everything!

Good luck! Smiley Happy

@beach-mom that's what I posted above/below earlier too!  GMTA😀  Only difference is I learned to never ever use a regular towel.  Tshirt or microfiber towels only.  Also I use the texturizing spray 1st step.  If you've never tried it, try to, in the summer seasonals!  Game changer for me!😀

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for posting that video link, Hedge, now that I have a perm I can use all the "curly" tips I can get.  I've been doing something similar with flat clips, they hold better than bobby pins and I can sleep in them.  Last night I used four giant sized clips in the back and sides and alligator clips in front.  I not only roll my hair, I twist it first, then coil it up and clip it flat to my scalp and go to bed.  It may still be a bit damp the next morning, but once I unclip the curls and let them down they finish drying quickly..

Honored Contributor

I switch around among several products.   When it's really humid, I find I get the best results from the hair spray. 

I have short wavy fine color treated hair.  I just run my fingers through my hair as I spray.  Takes a bit of practice to figure out just where to tousle and where to spray ... but now only takes me a couple of minutes.

Marc Anthony Dream Waves Beach Spray

Garnier Fructis Texture Tease

John Frieda Beach Blonde Sea Salt Spray

Tresemme' hair spray (#4 "strength" works best for me)

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Suebdoo wrote:

@x Hedge what a great video!  Thanks for posting it!  I'm lazy so l do the plopping 😜  I'm going to try the twist up again though.  Do you use just bobbi pins!  I AM going to try the glossing serum on dry hair too!  I've just been adding it to my SC on wet hair.  Love learning new things, even after 5 years😀

@Suebdoo,

I plop too. Keeps my wet head warm in winter!

But I'm sooooo lazy too, that most of the year I modify the technique shown in the vid.

Bending forward from the waist I gather my wet, but no longer dripping hair (without running my fingers thru it) and give it a half twist right at the crown, then wrap it around four fingers, then another half twist, then around again, repeat till you run out of hair. I get about four wraps around these days.

I have a spherical clip that holds that in place without crushing or leaving any marks. It's sort of like an uncovered plop that lets it continuing drying overnight.

In the morning I let it down, and without touching it, let it finish drying to the roots. I might use a little dry oil in lieu of glossing serum. (I've just talked myself into ordering glossing serum.) 

If it's humid I also use the texture balm, sc, and/or mousse on dry hair 2nd or 3rd day sometimes to prevent that 'wild haired crazy' look. 

I'll try to post a photo of that hair clip.

I spritz with RTM and twist-wrap-clip to sleep. Takes me less than 60 seconds to 'set' my hair! LOL

😉

IMG_20180613_143935.jpgIMG_20180613_144004.jpg

You sleep with a wet head??  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

Often.

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

Often.

@Shawnie so do I, with it plopped in a t-shirt.  Wake up with frizz free curls too!