WEN

Frequent Contributor

What product to get the flippy, tousled look?

I have wavy hair and dry it with the round brush to get fullness.  I'd like to make it messy looking and add movement.  

The texturizing spray does not work for  me as it frizzes up my hair.  

Any suggestions?  

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: What product to get the flippy, tousled look?

@LucysMommy If your hair is naturally wavy, have you ever tried just using a blow dryer without a brush?  Mine has a little natural curl, so I towel dry by rubbing the towel in all directions over my head, and then don't comb out, put a little root lifter spray on the crown area (or not), and then just use the blow dryer on high.  My hair blows dry all over the place and then I use a round bristle dryer to give some curl direction to my bangs and the hair on the side of my face.  When dry, you could just use a small curling iron to touch up the areas that need a little direction and then just use your fingers to finish.

If you want to use the round brush to dry and curl at the same time, just shake your fingers through it once done and you'll get the tousled look.   The trick is to NOT use the comb, but use your fingers instead.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@LucysMommy If your hair is naturally wavy, have you ever tried just using a blow dryer without a brush?  Mine has a little natural curl, so I towel dry by rubbing the towel in all directions over my head, and then don't comb out, put a little root lifter spray on the crown area (or not), and then just use the blow dryer on high.  My hair blows dry all over the place and then I use a round bristle dryer to give some curl direction to my bangs and the hair on the side of my face.  When dry, you could just use a small curling iron to touch up the areas that need a little direction and then just use your fingers to finish.

If you want to use the round brush to dry and curl at the same time, just shake your fingers through it once done and you'll get the tousled look.   The trick is to NOT use the comb, but use your fingers instead.  

I agree with this, don't use a brush. Better yet, air dry. If you can't air dry entirely, blow dry only partially and then let it air dry. 

Honored Contributor

@LucysMommy  I have found Isomers Beach Waves Texturizing Sea Salt Spray to work really well.  I usually just air dry after spraying but I also just scrunch while finger flurring through my hair while using the hairdryer.

Respected Contributor

Hi @LucysMommy, I too have wavy hair in now that my area is loaded with humidity, my hair frizzes but like Chaz says, we're not born with frizzy hair, it's what we're doing to it.  My problem is that I blow dry with an Ibiza brush every day.  Today, I simply used Chaz's new flat (wide one)brush.  My hair has bounce and body and yes, some frizz but my waves are nice and the ends which are completely intact with no split ends, are soft and not frizzy.  I believe too much brushing when hair is wet causes frizz.  The poster that said they just rough dry with the dryer and fingers, that's a good way to dry.  From now on, I'm just gonna use Chaz's flat brush and just brush up a section and blow that section with the brush holding it out.  That brush is easy on the hair.  I believe my problem too is that I don't blow dry until it's 100% dry and that's really important.  How many times my blow dry came out really great only to see half hour later alot of frizz.  It was not 100% dry.  My hair really absorbs water.  My husband's repels water!  His hair dries in minutes!  I guess the moral of the story is ease down on alot of blow drying with round brushes.  This morning I had to rush so I didn't dry completely.  I purchased a micro something or other towel so I don't have to keep using paper towels to wring out the water.  I know how you feel though.  OH, I forgot, when I was in hospital, I was "out of commission" for almost two months and I did not apply the oil to my scalp!  This is KEY!  I always would at least do it three nights per week and I couldn't and that's when the frizz started.  I'm starting to do it now and it's getting better.  I also use the oil on my face at night too.  I just rub it on my face, just gently go over it with a dry tissue and next morning, WOW!  SMOOTH!!  I noticed that even though I'm having some frizz, my hair, in general is still in great shape.

Trusted Contributor

@LucysMommy if you still have the TTS try this.

#1 never ever use a bath towel on wet hair.  This roughs up the hair cuticle and will cause frizz!  Use an old cotton Tshirt or pillow case and blot your hair or just wrap it up to get excess water out.

Apply the TTS to wet hair in the shower.  Scrunch it in.  I have naturally curly hair and have been doing the reverse leave in method.  Thinnest to thickest.  So I do TTS, mousse, SC and CC leave in.  This way seals in the moisture.  Best curls or waves ever!

When you get out of the shower and your hair is blotted dry, Air dry it.  And DON'T touch it.  Touching your hair while it dries can cause Big time frizz!!  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LucysMommy

My hair has natural curl and wave.

I easily coax that into the flippy tousled look that is featured on Chaz video for styling curly hair on the following video.

(hope this link goes to the right vid.)

https://chazdean.com/salon/tips#!5iSbsIXg60A

oh good! it does.

On my best days my hair looks just like in the video.

So take what you can use from the video as far as technique goes, and modify it for your own hair.

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge what a great video!  Thanks for posting it!  I'm lazy so l do the plopping 😜  I'm going to try the twist up again though.  Do you use just bobbi pins!  I AM going to try the glossing serum on dry hair too!  I've just been adding it to my SC on wet hair.  Love learning new things, even after 5 years😀

Esteemed Contributor

@Suebdoo

ABSOLUTELY!!!

For curly hair, keep combs, brushes, and fingers out of your hair after applying the leave in products.

I was never taught how to care for my type of hair

and sadly, only learned after coming to this forum.

(Heartthank you @nikki48, wherever you are, and the anonymous curly-haired reviewer who figured it out and wrote about it in a WEN review.)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge Same here!  I always used a towel and was a hair toucher 😛  Now that I cut my hair shorter, it's similar to JLo's hair on her police tv show.  Her's is a wig though I think.  LOL  I love it curly and messy.  SO easy now with WEN, and some knowledge!😀

you're so helpful to find the videos too, so people have a visual!