WEN

Honored Contributor

Personally, I don't think MIL's OR your boyfriend's mother should be your "bestie."    That person is always the guy's mother--and the guy will always come first.  The relationship is between the woman and the man.  The man's mother should be nice to her, be friends with her, but I don't think a "girlfriend to girlfriend" relationship benefits any of the three.

Be nice, enjoy one another's company if you can but STAY OUT OF THE RELATIONSHIP.  I think that is the key to success here.  Don't get in people's business in these things.

Valued Contributor
I don't think you can gift such an item at this point without offending her. It would more than likely be perceived as you don't like her hair or the way she looks. As you spend more time with her and get to know her better, in the future you may be able to know about her likes, interest, etc. which could leave an opening for gifting in the future.
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99

I wish my MIL had been 1/10 as thoughtful as you seem to be about hurting (possible future)  DILs feelings!  I was NOT what she dreamed of for her son, and she NEVER missed a chance to remind me.

If she turns out to be the one - she is very fortunate.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe      You and I had the same type of MIL, I wasn't what she had in mind for her son either.LOL I would never treat anyone let alone a potential DIL the way I was treated. All I care about is my son's happiness and if this woman makes him happy then I like her, wild curly hair and all. My son uses WEN so it will end up in their shower eventually anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think there is any way to do this without seriously offending the GF.  I know I would be deeply hurt.  You don't want her to think you would be one of "those" MIL's.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your sage advice, I will keep my WEN to myself.