WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: Wen what did you use for your deep treatment today?

[ Edited ]

@Thia-Winter wrote:

@bebe777 let me see if I can help.

Firstly, never used tweakd, nor do I plan to.   Used ojon only once and hated it.  Lol....

Yes, some oils penetrate vs coat the hair.  It depends on the porosity of the hair and the oil molecules size, as well as other things.  Jojoba is a coating oil, while coconut and olive and a few others penetrate.   I have read mixed things about palm, but my own experience with it tells me it didn't penetrate my hair.  It's strengthening by filling in the blanks in the shaft but most oils don't contain much protein if any.  I have a coconut oil that does because it has extra coconut solids left in, but that's an exception.   My perspnal opinion is any technological addition to an oil like tweakd changes the makeup of the oil and imo not always for the better.  One thing I love about wen oils is they're in their natural form still.  

As for oils that seal keeping out other oils, not that I'm aware of buf it's possible. ...sealing oils seal in moisture and keep the cuticle flat.  I have applied coconut oil over my wen oils with no issues though.  

Remoist definitely penetrates....the addition of the ingredient behentrimonium methosulfate is twofold in wen.  It's an emulsifier to help the cleansing process that gives wen it's frothiness and also helps penetrate the shaft.   As far as how many cleanses to remove oil a lot comes into play there, that varies.  

Dry application helps penetrate because water dilutes and takes up space in the shaft.  Leaving it on longer allows for deeper penetration, more softening, as does using heat.  Your fine curly hair loses protein easily and moisture too.  It's also very porous which makes all these treatments magic for your hair.  Hth.

@Thia-Winter can you explain what you mean by "technological addition"  in your statement:

"My perspnal opinion is any technological addition to an oil like tweakd changes the makeup of the oil and imo not always for the better"

Also, you last statement about dry application helps it penetrate because of water diluting and taking up space in the shaft. What do you mean by this? Water is diluting what?  Water cannot dilute oil by any means due to the molecular properties of water and oil (hence the old premise- water and oil don't mix) so I am assuming you mean something else is being diluted?

The reason why many products with certain oils penetrate better on DRY hair is because if your hair is wet prior to application, the water acts a repellent to the oil, therefore only allowing the oil to partially penentrate the shaft. Sure, leaving it in longer will allow more oil to penetrate eventuallly but still not as much as dry application would.  Therefore, by omitting the water, you are allowing much more of the oil to penetrate and you dont' even need to wait as long for more complete penetration of the oil since you have nothing essentially making it harder for the oil to penetrate like water does.

This is not anything Denis has said but just scientific facts regarding the size of water molecules versus various oil molecules and the propeties of the hair shaft.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Valued Contributor

Re: Wen what did you use for your deep treatment today?

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Thia-Winter wrote:

@bebe777 let me see if I can help.

Firstly, never used tweakd, nor do I plan to.   Used ojon only once and hated it.  Lol....

Yes, some oils penetrate vs coat the hair.  It depends on the porosity of the hair and the oil molecules size, as well as other things.  Jojoba is a coating oil, while coconut and olive and a few others penetrate.   I have read mixed things about palm, but my own experience with it tells me it didn't penetrate my hair.  It's strengthening by filling in the blanks in the shaft but most oils don't contain much protein if any.  I have a coconut oil that does because it has extra coconut solids left in, but that's an exception.   My perspnal opinion is any technological addition to an oil like tweakd changes the makeup of the oil and imo not always for the better.  One thing I love about wen oils is they're in their natural form still.  

As for oils that seal keeping out other oils, not that I'm aware of buf it's possible. ...sealing oils seal in moisture and keep the cuticle flat.  I have applied coconut oil over my wen oils with no issues though.  

Remoist definitely penetrates....the addition of the ingredient behentrimonium methosulfate is twofold in wen.  It's an emulsifier to help the cleansing process that gives wen it's frothiness and also helps penetrate the shaft.   As far as how many cleanses to remove oil a lot comes into play there, that varies.  

Dry application helps penetrate because water dilutes and takes up space in the shaft.  Leaving it on longer allows for deeper penetration, more softening, as does using heat.  Your fine curly hair loses protein easily and moisture too.  It's also very porous which makes all these treatments magic for your hair.  Hth.

@Thia-Winter can you explain what you mean by "technological addition"  in your statement:

"My perspnal opinion is any technological addition to an oil like tweakd changes the makeup of the oil and imo not always for the better"

Also, you last statement about dry application helps it penetrate because of water diluting and taking up space in the shaft. What do you mean by this? Water is diluting what?  Water cannot dilute oil by any means due to the molecular properties of water and oil (hence the old premise- water and oil don't mix) so I am assuming you mean something else is being diluted?

The reason why many products with certain oils penetrate better on DRY hair is because if your hair is wet prior to application, the water acts a repellent to the oil, therefore only allowing the oil to partially penentrate the shaft. Sure, leaving it in longer will allow more oil to penetrate eventuallly but still not as much as dry application would.  Therefore, by omitting the water, you are allowing much more of the oil to penetrate and you dont' even need to wait as long for more complete penetration of the oil since you have nothing essentially making it harder for the oil to penetrate like water does.

This is not anything Denis has said but just scientific facts regarding the size of water molecules versus various oil molecules and the propeties of the hair shaft.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Sure @HappyDaze

By technological addition I mean ingredients other than a straight oil, such as one company says they add "esterized" or "oilspheres" or in the case of tweaked "emulsifoam".  When I say this I mean in a product that is marketed as an oil, such as wen treatment oils.  A lot of the time serums are marketed as oils when they only have very little oil in them.  I would personally rather use a straight ul natural oil than a mix of silicones on my hair.  

When I speak of dilution I'm not speaking of the oils within the product themselves but a rinse out conditioner in general, it's the other ingredients that I mean are diluted.  Not the oils themselves.   I went ftom speaking about oils to remoist or the cc and wasn't clear about that.  Sorry.