WEN

Honored Contributor

Wen - should you purchase a Wen Gallon?

[ Edited ]

I thought I'd start this thread to get a discussion going on the pros and cons about purchasing a Wen Gallon. Smiley Happy

Here are my thoughts on the Wen gallons...

If you have a formula that you always use, then it probably makes sense to purchase a Wen gallon.

On the other hand, if you use a number of the different Wen Cleansing Conditioner formulas, then you may want to give the Wen gallons a pass.

And if you're new to Wen, then I'd suggest that you give the Wen gallons a pass. -- I think it's a better idea to try out a number of the different Wen formulas and figure out what works best for you before paying $179-189 for a Wen gallon. -- If you have buyers remorse later, it takes a long time to go through a Wen gallon.

Wenners love celebrating June Wen Gallons Month and major reason for that is that it's a month long celebration of all things Wen. -- The Wen gallons are just part of the fun. Chaz is here all month long which is great. And since he's here for the month, he always brings along a lot of great Wen values, special offers, One Day Only (ODO) specials and brand new Wen product. So there's a lot to love about Wen Gallons month besides the gallons.

Based on what Wenners in the Wen forum have shared, I'd guess that only 25-30% of them purchase Wen gallons. -- Most of them purchase a gallon because they use that particular formula on a regular basis. -- If you do use a particular formula on a regular basis, then a Wen gallon is generally the most cost effective way to purchase that particular formula. -- Some Wenners also like the convenience of having all of their Wen in a single gallon, and there's less pumping involved.

For folks who are new to Wen, a number of them have commented on how long it took them to use up their Wen gallon. And it cut into their opportunity to try other Wen formulas because they wanted to use up their Wen gallon before they tried other formulas.

From a pricing perspective, if you use a number of different formulas, there are a number of Wen Cleansing Conditioner values offered throughout the year that are either an equal or even a better value than the Wen gallons (on an ounce per ounce basis). 

A lot of Wenners assume that since it's a gallon size that, ounce per ounce, Wen gallons would offer the best value but that's just not true. -- There are a number of TSVs, ODOs, and special offers through the year that offer excellent values. -- And on the QVC Wen product page, there are even some regularly offered Wen Cleansing Conditioner 16oz. multi-packs which are better values than the Wen gallons.

I've been using Wen since December 2010 and I'm a huge Wen fan, so I'm always looking for the best values for my Wen dollars. -- From what i've seen, the Wen gallons are great for some Wenners... just not for every Wenner. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wen - should you purchase a Wen Gallon?

Hi @bebe777

As much as the June gallon frenzy is fun to watch I have never purchased a gallon.

My hair almost has to change formulas with every shampoo  to keep it happy and get the  full benefits and best results from this line.

My hair is humidity specific - seriously it's  a Prima donna.

My bathrooms cannot hold the gallons without me feeling it's messy yet I can have 6 bottles open at one time (16oz or 32oz)

I have commitment issues.

(High maintenance hair - thus the reason for being a WEN girl)

Respected Contributor

My whole family uses Wen. Most of us use tea tree for our first cleanse. It makes sense for us to get the gallon of tea tree. We also like the seasonals. We like a variety, so it makes sense to get the 16 or 32 oz. seasonals. I love the gallons. It makes it so easy to refill the smaller bottles for both showers. 

Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not think I would ever buy a core gallon because I use many formulas. I am the "purchasing agent" for my boss, who only uses Lavender. So a gallon makes perfect sense for her. 

I bought a gallon of 613 and hopefully will switch this fall to a 319 gallon. The only reason this works for me, is that I use it regularly AND mix 319 with the seasonal formulas that I like the scent of but find drying, so it gets extra use which I think will be worth the convenience of having the large quantity on hand. I have already used 16 ozs. of 319 since the end of March because of mixing with Spring Gardenia Green Tea and Winter Cranberry Mint. The plan is to get a 16 oz bottle when one is offered, so I can refill it form the gallon to manage the shower situation better. As @Hilary77 said, gallons are great filling stations.

If I was new, I would definitely stick to the kit deals and Chaz should be offering many of them this June.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Regular Contributor

I have used WEN for 5 years. I have purchased gallons several times. Last June I purchased 5 gallons (FGP, WVM, SOB, SMC, &Kids Apple). I also purchased a MIF gallon last Fall. Gallons are typically a better deal for me because I have long hair that I cleanse daily (due to oil treatments, work outs, or both). My man also is a WEN devotee, so the gallons allow me to share with him. Smiley Happy  I ordered a SHP gallon when the June Insider was delivered. Yesterday I ordered a CA gallon. I'm also planning to order POM and TT gallons.  When I first began using WEN I purchased every TSV/ODO and this allowed me to build a healthy stash. Now I purchase TSVs occasionally based on the configuration. My last TSV purchase was the outstanding Fall oil TSV.  

I agree with @bebe777's position that gallons are a great option for certain Wenners.  Obviously, I'm one of those Wenners.  🐝

Trusted Contributor

Hello gorgeous ladies of Wen! Just getting back on the boards and saying hello. Also, my hot take on gallons: worth it to have a BGT in the shower all the time, but having gotten a nice haul with the December TSV of mixed rice options, I may not get them again this year.  The convenience is great, but since I now use a number of styling products it may not make sense ounce for ounce. I will decide in Sept when the rice gallons are likely to come back, especially since after trying another seasonal (SOB - so yummy, so drying) I think my lot in life is rice only.

Just to share, I actually went all in with the BGT gallons when they debuted in June several years ago (haven't been in June since). I got auto-delivery, and had enough for 2 years with just 2 gallons! I had tried other formulas with middling success. I had a super short pixie and wanted to grow my hair, and getting the gallon made me commit to Wen in a way I previously had not. It happened to work out for me, and was actually very cost effective in that sense. I experimented from there.

Honored Contributor

Sure the TSVs are cheaper, but only if you aret going to use the other products included. I haven't bought a tsv in a few years because I really don't need anymore RTM or SC and I can't use 613 very often which seems to always been included in the Spring TSV offering. For me gallons make much more sense than TSV since I go through the CC more than any other Wen product. 

On top of it, I'm disappointed in the new seasonal kit offering for the same reason. It was nice to try the small oil and RTM but I used to buy those sets for the CC the most. I won't be buying the new sets because I prefer my own oils and I don't use RTM. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I bought a gallon of CA because I plan on using it for my first cleanse. Since my scalp is on the oily side and I still need to cleanse every day the gallon makes more sense to me. It's convenient because I need less pumps and if I had to keep buying 32 oz. bottles it would get a lot more expensive with the shipping and handling.

I did buy a gallon of SMC last year because it's my favorite seasonal but I also realized that I don't think I'll ever buy a seasonal gallon ever again. Unless you use this particular formula for most of your cleanses it'll take a while to use up that much product. So in that case I'd probably stick with the 32 oz. bottles.

Regular Contributor

@HSB1204 you're right regarding the time it takes to complete a seasonal gallon. I purchased SMC last summer and used it frequently. Halfway through last summer my man asked when we would be done with SMC. Apparently he hates the scent.  He says it's not worthy to share shower space with his beloved 613 or SGGT.😝  oh well, I love it! I really wanted to purchase today's ODO in SMF, but he would die if I brought SMC oil or RTM into the house.  Oddly enough, he does enjoy FAS.  😁

Trusted Contributor

@yisbuff2 wrote:

Hello gorgeous ladies of Wen! Just getting back on the boards and saying hello. Also, my hot take on gallons: worth it to have a BGT in the shower all the time, but having gotten a nice haul with the December TSV of mixed rice options, I may not get them again this year.  The convenience is great, but since I now use a number of styling products it may not make sense ounce for ounce. I will decide in Sept when the rice gallons are likely to come back, especially since after trying another seasonal (SOB - so yummy, so drying) I think my lot in life is rice only.

Just to share, I actually went all in with the BGT gallons when they debuted in June several years ago (haven't been in June since). I got auto-delivery, and had enough for 2 years with just 2 gallons! I had tried other formulas with middling success. I had a super short pixie and wanted to grow my hair, and getting the gallon made me commit to Wen in a way I previously had not. It happened to work out for me, and was actually very cost effective in that sense. I experimented from there.

I completely agree with @yisbuff2 about the CC cost being less if you also use the styling products offered with it in kits.  This is my buying strategy so I don't think I will buy gallons again unless I like the CC but not the scent, so I wouldn't want those accompanying styling products. I did but a MIF gallon for that very reason--love the CC performance, but not the scent so use other styling products. 

@However, my first WEN purchase three years ago was a gallon of LAV and a gallon of SAM!  Like @@world traveler when I decide to do something, I go all in!  Smiley LOL

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt