WEN

Valued Contributor

Re: Wen hair loss on Buzzfeed article

@Ms X wrote:

The Daily Mail has a story about this lawsuit today.  The photos show what look to me like the classic round bald spots of alopecia areata, from which I've suffered since 1987.  The dermatologist looked at my first bald spot the size of a quarter with a magnifying tool.  He said the look of the hair follicles was classic for the disease. 

No one knows exactly what causes this, but they say the growth cycle of the hair is disrupted, causing it to fall out in patches.  They used to say it was caused by stress, which I never believed because I saw no correlation.  Now they think it might be autoimmune.  Luckily, my occasional bald spots have almost always been small and hidden by the rest of my hair and start growing back in about three months.  No doctor has ever asked me about Wen or other hair products or warned me not to use them.

Why doesn't Chaz countersue?  I can't imagine that the plaintiffs' claims are backed up by any kind of proof.  In my reading about this, I've never come across anything that would give the tiniest bit of credence to these claims.  The lawyers suing Wen did say something about hundreds of others who would join the suit.  Are they just trying to make it worth Wen's while to settle? 

I'm a nurse and it very much looks like Alopecia areta. Have seen it before  and shampoos if ever rarely cause spotty balding. Unless its a very bad allergy and its concentrated in those spots, that would make sense. If its that bad of an allergy it would certainly be more than a few bald spots as well. Those pictures make me doubt it a lot more than reading peoples experiences. Those pictures tell me its something else other than WEN. Correlation isn't causation. 

Trusted Contributor

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2015/12/15/chaz-dean-wen-hair-care-sued-for-severe-hair-loss/?...

interesting comments from an Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology ....such as 

"....In the grand scheme of things, 200 people is not that many. If you look at how many product sales that they probably have, I suspect it’s just a drop in the bucket,” she said. “I really think what they’re going to find is just a vast majority of these are coincidence and mainly caused by hair loss that’s unrelated to the product.”

and "...here were pictures of women who have typical female pattern hair loss. There were also pictures of people with alopecia areata, which is an autoimmune form of hair loss.”

and "There would have to be some sort of link between one or more of the ingredients in particular. We don’t know this for sure, but most of the products listed are generally-accepted safe. Most are just standard ingredients,” she explains. “There are a lot of natural ingredients and so, is there a chance that someone could develop a contact dermatitis to one of the plant-based products? Possible.”

live....laugh....love
New Contributor

I have been using WEN for many years and have seen great results..people always say my hair looks like it was just done at a salon...but to be honest I also have a lot of hair that comes out everytime I rinse...  I have only used WEN for years so I am going to try an alternative to see what happens..  I hope this whole thing is resolved...  I have two gallons unopened and not sure what to do..Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@bruingirl wrote:

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2015/12/15/chaz-dean-wen-hair-care-sued-for-severe-hair-loss/?...

interesting comments from an Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology ....such as 

"....In the grand scheme of things, 200 people is not that many. If you look at how many product sales that they probably have, I suspect it’s just a drop in the bucket,” she said. “I really think what they’re going to find is just a vast majority of these are coincidence and mainly caused by hair loss that’s unrelated to the product.”

and "...here were pictures of women who have typical female pattern hair loss. There were also pictures of people with alopecia areata, which is an autoimmune form of hair loss.”

and "There would have to be some sort of link between one or more of the ingredients in particular. We don’t know this for sure, but most of the products listed are generally-accepted safe. Most are just standard ingredients,” she explains. “There are a lot of natural ingredients and so, is there a chance that someone could develop a contact dermatitis to one of the plant-based products? Possible.”

^ THIS.

I found out about the hair loss issue AFTER using Wen for a little over a month, and LOVING the way my hair felt and practically "sparkled." But I did notice two changes in my hair:

• While it didn't feel "dry" it seemed to "snarl" more easily. than with conventional shampoo and conditioner.
  • I noticed LESS (like NOTHING) hair loss in the shower, but noticeably MORE in my brush, and all over my clothes, etc.

I thought perhaps the hair I used to lose while cleansing, was now coming out when I brushed it. But then I noticed (after about 2 1/2 weeks) that I could feel my scalp, and I commented at work that I was using Wen . .. and how much I liked it, but it seemed like I had lost some hair -- about 3 co-workers turned around and exclaimed "Didn't you know there are people suing Wen over hair loss?!"

I was flabbergasted, and Googled up a number of articles (some noted here). So, unfortunately, I'm not a candidate for any more Wen. I personally have a feeling it might be an allergic reaction to some of the natural ingredients . . . and possibly one of the preservatives (that, according to one of the article, is banned in other countries).

I hope Chaz can determine why this might happen to some of us, and can reformulate the product so I can try it again. My hair felt stronger and healthier, so I hope there can be a "happy ending" to this.

For what it's worth, I can't wear most perfumes - I get headaches. Just sayin' this could be a totally "natural" reaction.

Honored Contributor

@noonedelights wrote:

Does anyone know or has anybody read anything saying that the women who had hair loss, once they stop using when did their hair start to grow back?

i'm curious if that's their prof that it was from Wen and not other factors.

IU can't speak for others, just my own experience.

I used WEN for at least 3 years with no problems, then my hair started falling out. A lot.

After going to my internist and a dermatologist, I had NO medical reason for the hair loss. The Derm suggested that I might have contact dermatitis and I stopped using WEN.

After a month or so, my hair stopped falling out and now it's almost back to normal. It didn't fall out in circular patterns - but more generalized. I don't use hot rollers, pull my hair back or any other reason. I colored my hair beforem during and after WEN, about every 6 weeks.

The ONLY difference was that after a while, my hair fell out while using WEN.

BTW - I would never think of suing. It just stopped working for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

@noonedelights wrote:

Does anyone know or has anybody read anything saying that the women who had hair loss, once they stop using when did their hair start to grow back?

i'm curious if that's their prof that it was from Wen and not other factors.

I can't speak for others, just my own experience.

I used WEN for at least 3 years with no problems, then my hair started falling out. A lot.

After going to my internist and a dermatologist, I had NO medical reason for the hair loss. The Derm suggested that I might have contact dermatitis and I stopped using WEN.

After a month or so, my hair stopped falling out and now it's almost back to normal. It didn't fall out in circular patterns - but more generalized. I don't use hot rollers, pull my hair back or any other reason. I colored my hair before, during and after WEN, about every 6 weeks.

The ONLY difference was that after a while, my hair fell out while using WEN.

BTW - I would never think of suing. It just stopped working for me. I'm just glas I didn't have a serious underlying medical condition and the only issue was the cleanser!