WEN

Honored Contributor

Wen - fragrance free - soy-based 319 NBT & rice-base FF CC

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze, lol, this is especially for you, my friend. Smiley Happy

I thought it might be best to have a separate fragrance free thread just so it would be easy to find and refer to. Smiley Happy

So here's what I know about Wen and all things fragrance free... 

___ 

Unscented versus Fragrance Free...

First of all, there is a difference between the terms unscented and fragrance free.

Unscented means that the product does not have any sort of scent at all. That said, I don't know if they may have added "scents" which effectively neutralize the smell of the scent in order to create the "unscented" effect. -- And, by that, I mean I have no idea if they are allowed, by law, to add "scents" which neutralize the smell of a "scent". Does anyone else have any more information about this?

In contrast, fragrance free means that no scents have been specifically added to the product in order to scent it in any way (even to neutralize the scent of a scent). Many ingredients in products have their own natural scents, so the finished product will have the combined smell of those scents. -- I would imagine that, during the creation of the product, that these ingredients are balanced to make sure that the final scent is not objectionable... since they can't add scent to the finished product in order to change the scent.

Here's are the two fragrance free Wen products available right now:

* 319 Nourishing Body Treatment (319 NBT) which is in the 613/319 soy-based product line.

* new rice-based Fragrance Free (FF) cleansing conditioner -- which is in the rice-based, bamboo water infused Restorative line... which also includes both the Bamboo Green Tea (BGT) and Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF) products.

___ 

The Wen soy-based 613/319 product line...

Chaz named the 319 line in honor of his dad. The 613 line was named to honor both Chaz's mom and Chaz's friend, Spirit. His dad had mentioned that he would like to have a Wen product named in his honor as well. When Chaz was almost finished formulating the 319 NBT,  he realized that his dad didn't have a sense of smell and so he felt that for this reason 319 had a special connection with his father. 

Now this is just my personal take on the 613/319 line... 319 NBT is the fragrance free version of 613 NBT. Chaz talks about how the 613 soy-based line is the super power, power packed, "Wen on steroids", top of the line Wen product line... and the 613 name honors his mom. Base on that, to me, it makes perfect sense that Chaz would love that the 319 fragrance free side of the 613 product line honors his father. -- This brings his mom and his dad together, and allows Chaz to honor both of them in his top of the line Wen product line. -- As I said before, this is just my take on this. *s*

Unlike some of his other product lines, Chaz doesn't have as many products in the 613 portion of this product line: 

* Cleansing Conditioner (CC)

* Styling Creme (SC)

* Replenishing Treatment Mist (RTM)

* Mousse 

* Treatment Oil 

* Nourishing Body Treatment (NBT)

* Eau de Toilette (EDT) 

* Eau de Parfum (EDP)

So, at this point, there are five soy-based products that Chaz could bring out in the future in the 319 side of the line: Cleansing Conditioner, Styling Creme, Replenishing Treatment Mist, Treatment Oil, and Mousse.

What differentiates the 613 line from all of Chaz's other product lines is that: 

* 613 products contain the most concentrated amounts of Chaz's 11 amino acid complex in them.

* 613 products contain the most concentrated amounts of extra skin care ingredients in them (remember your scalp is part of your skin).

Note: I don't think that either the amino acid complex or the particular extra skin care ingredients -- which were specifically added to certain Wen cleansing conditioners, including 613 CC -- are in the 613 Treatment Oil. I also don't think that the 613 Treatment Oil is soy-based but, if you are allergic to soy, then make sure to check with Chaz's customer service department.

___ 

New rice-based Fragrance Free (FF) cleansing conditioner... 

The new Fragrance Free cleansing conditioner is in the rice-based, bamboo water infused Restorative line. 

These are the three formulas in the Restorative line: 

* Bamboo Green Tea (BGT) 

* Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF) 

* Fragrance Free (FF)

Key features of the Restorative line: 

* rice-based products -- wheat-free, soy-free, and (I think) nut-free. Check on the "nut-free" to be sure, and I'm really not sure if the Remoist is nut-free. 

* 11 amino acid complex 

* most concentrated bamboo water and bamboo extract products (and it is a key feature of this line)

* skin care ingredients 

The Fragrance Free (FF) cleansing conditioner is essentially a fragrance free version of Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF) cleansing conditioner, because the ingredients decks are almost exactly the same -- MIF has green tea extract (the 23rd ingredient) which is not in the FF -- and also the FF has no added fragrance. The FF has almost no scent to it, though some Wenners can detect a slight smell of menthol.

While the Bamboo Green Tea (BGT) cleansing conditioner is also rice-based and bamboo water infused, the BGT ingredients deck has a number of differences from the ingredients found in both the MIF and FF cleansing conditioner ingredients decks.

Right now, the only rice-based FF product available is the brand new cleansing conditioner. -- That said, since the other two Restorative formulas have a number of different products available, I think it's likely that Chaz will be adding more rice-based FF products in the future (just my guess). 

Current Restorative Line products available in both Bamboo Green Tea (BGT) and Mandarin Italian Fig (MIF): 

* Cleansing Conditioner (CC) 

* Styling Creme (SC) 

* Replenishing Treatment Mist (RTM) 

* Mousse 

* Treatment Oil 

* Remoist 

* Volumizing Treatment Spray (VTS) 

Some additional threads you might want to look through for more information are the Wen FAQ (messages #3 & #4) and the Wen Abbreviations Glossary.

Enjoy!!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy Wen FAQ - Wen 101 - periscope - The Insider - January Chat 2016 - Wen Abbreviations Glossary

___

___

___

Honored Contributor

Re: Wen - fragrance free - soy-based 319 NBT & rice-base FF CC

@bebe777 awesome info, thank you! Heart

Trusted Contributor

@bebe777 just an fyi......the RTM in the 613/319 is replenishing treatment mist not restorative treatment mist

live....laugh....love
Honored Contributor

@bruingirl wrote:

@bebe777 just an fyi......the RTM in the 613/319 is replenishing treatment mist not restorative treatment mist

@bruingirl, lol, thanks for catching that. When I was typing it out, I kept looking at the RTM and thinking that something was wrong, but I just couldn't seem to figure out what it was. lol, I'll make the edit now. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

*standing ovation* for this analysis Smiley Happy

I'm not going to claim expertise in the area of fragrance-free vs. unscented, but I did work in the cosmetics industry many eons ago. I remember discussions about "masking" ingredients in products. I believe this pretty standard in the industry and my impression of the 319 NBT is there are essential oils in there at levels that simply "mask" as opposed to add scent (which is pretty much what you just said Smiley Very Happy).

The FDA website has further info about fragrance in cosmetic products.

To add a IMHO note, when checking into this type of info, beware of relying solely on the Environmental Working Group site. If you do a quick check, there does seem to be some issues with this group, including such issues as rating the same ingredient under a different name, at a different risk level, and rating chemicals that don't even exist. Just my personal small rant *sheepish grin*

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze, Thank you!! Heart I'm glad the info was helpful: Smiley Happy 

@RipleyGirl, Thank you!! And I really appreciate your feedback!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

Great info as always!.. You make Wen shopping so much easier..😊

Trusted Contributor

@quadmimi wrote:

Great info as always!.. You make Wen shopping so much easier..😊

@quadmimi, no one enables like @bebe777~ Wenabler extraordinaire.

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Honored Contributor

Hey @RipleyGirl,

Please share more information about your work in the cosmetic industry, I bet you have loads of intormation!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@bruingirl wrote:

@bruingirl, lol, thanks for catching that. When I was typing it out, I kept looking at the RTM and thinking that something was wrong, but I just couldn't seem to figure out what it was. lol, I'll make the edit now. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

@bebe777 you're welcome Smiley Very Happy

live....laugh....love