WEN

Contributor

Has anyone used Wen once or twice a week alternating with regular shampoo and conditioner? I have tried using it exclusively but it doesn't work for my aging,super  fine, thin color treated hair. I am considering using it to deep condition and give mydry hair added moisture.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Respected Contributor

Re: Wen as a deep conditioner?

Hi @9531,  I was wondering, how do you use it?  I mean, are you using enough?  Not using enough will kind of not yield all the benefits of Wen.  I don't know how long your hair is but here's kind of an example.  My hair is normal and not color treated.  It's a few inches past my shoulders.  From a 32oz. bottle I use three pumps for the crown and three for the length of it.  When I apply the first lot, I add a splash of water, it helps really spread it around and emulsify it.  After I apply the second lot to the length, I add another splash of water and begin really massaging.  It'll begin to really cream up and get thick.  Get a good massage going on scalp and hair itself.  It's important to cleanse, rinse and repeat.   The first cleanse, just massage for a minute or two and then repeat but don't rinse until you're done with your shower.  Let it be the last thing to rinse so that it can really absorb in the hair.  Anyway, once well rinsed, directly coming from out of the shower stream, add maybe a quarter size to length of hair. When you pump the Wen into your hand to apply for leave in, rub hands together first then apply to hair and what's left on hands apply to crown.  Rake it in the hair, twist, really push it into the hair.  After that, take one pump of styling creme and so the same like you did with the cleansing conditioner.  Then, take five or six or I feel as many as you want, pumps of the mousse.  I feel the mousse really plumps the hair.  Wen has so much to offer but it is a learning curve.  You can call Chaz's salon and they will answer any questions.  I've called there, they're really nice.  Chaz has all types of models, young ones, middle aged ones, senior ones with all hair types.  I really hope this helps and I'm sure other Wen fans, like myself, will help too!  God bless!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@9531  When I first started with WEN three years ago, I was alternating with products I already had, just because I didn't want to throw them away as they were expensive.

But as I learned more and more about WEN and how I was undoing any good I was receiving from WEN by also using other brands, I quickly stopped and just went ahead and donated the rest to a homeless shelter.

My hair, like yours, is super fine, although not color treated; and I'm no spring chicken, so I guess you could say my hair is aging in that that sense.

However, WEN has done such great things for my older hair, that I get compliments often. The compliments usual center around the fact that my hair looks young. That's probably because it has a natural shine to it rather than the drab look it had before WEN.

Also, even though my hair is gray/silver, my natural highlights have come out, which was not happening with the other product I was using. I was a natural blonde (we called it toe-head back in my youth!), and I now can see some of that natural blonde coming out in the way of highlights. 

If you want to try using WEN once or twice a week, alternating with regular shampoo and conditioner, I imagine you will get some good results. I suppose SOME WEN is better than NO WEN. Heart

But I would probably suggest if you want to stick with your regular shampoo, that maybe getting the WEN Re-Moist would be good to use twice a week. That is a deep conditioner-like product that I use twice a week as extra treatment. A jar of it on QVC runs around $60, I think, but with my short hair, I get around 16-17 uses from it. At Chaz's salon, he charges $50 to have Re-Moist put on your hair.

By the way, I wash my hair nearly every day, not because it gets dirty, but just because the more I use WEN, the better my hair becomes. Plus, I just love the auromatherapy of using the seasonals for the second cleanse, after using Tea Tree for my first cleanse. Kind of like a mini trip to the spa! ha!

Good luck with whatever decision you go with!

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @9531.

To your first question, no. I wouldn't put any brand of shampoo on my hair or scalp, ever again.  

Yes, WEN would serve as your deep conditioner.

But If you don't mind telling us, which particular WEN "doesn't work" for you?

We are all aging, and there are a lot of happy WEN users with dry, thin, color treated hair, as you describe yours.

And, have you called or emailed to customerservice@chazdean.com with your issue?

Their excellent CS staff is dedicated to helping customers have a good outcome with their products.

Honored Contributor

@77yangya

"Wen has so much to offer but it is a learning curve."

whew.gifAfter doing all that you described, I would have faint.giffrom exaustion!

Thank you for describing all you "really" have to do.  Chaz has never fully explained/detailed it the way you did.  I knew it was "a lot of work" & boy did you confirm that!

Now that I have let my hair grow half way down my back & at soon to be 68 yrs young, I don't want washing my hair feel like a job.

Thanks again.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@77yangya

"Wen has so much to offer but it is a learning curve."

whew.gifAfter doing all that you described, I would have faint.giffrom exaustion!

Thank you for describing all you "really" have to do.  Chaz has never fully explained/detailed it the way you did.  I knew it was "a lot of work" & boy did you confirm that!

Now that I have let my hair grow half way down my back & at soon to be 68 yrs young, I don't want washing my hair feel like a job.

Thanks again.

@Mz iMac

This is just my opinion, and I've only been using Wen a few weeks now, but I don't think it is that much more work. Everything @77yangya described for cleansing hair I did with regular shampoo and conditioner. I would rarely use a leave-in conditioner because it would weigh my hair down too much. The first few times I cleansed with Wen I didn't use the CC as a leave-in thinking I knew more than Chaz...lol... Well, the last time or two I cleansed I did use some of the CC as a leave-in and it didn't weigh my hair down at all, it actually made my hair softer, fuller and have more shine. I was careful not to apply much if any on my crown.

It does take longer to rinse on my second cleanse but that's about it. If you already use a leave-in, styling cream and mousse there won't be any additional time. Once again, this is just my opinion. 

Quarrels end, but words once spoken never die... African Proverb
Esteemed Contributor

Don't be misled @Mz iMac.  yangya's enthusiasm for all things WEN leads her to become verbose at times.

Happens to me too.

The succinct version is:   cleanse, rinse, repeat,

followed by any (optional) styling products you choose to use. . . period.

My hair is as long as yours, and by using WEN, my hair looks and behaves better with less effort and attention than it did with anything else in 6+ decades.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac I would never describe cleansing my hair with my Wen a job. I love nothing better than locking myself in my bathroom with all my Wen and enjoying every minute of it. My own private spa!
I am well over 50 but Wen has allowed me to have hair I haven't had since I was a kid. My hair is fine color treated and Wen has been the best anti age product for both my hair and skin. A few years back it allowed me to grow my hair in the middle of my back the longest it had been in decades.
Honored Contributor

@ANewHue

"I love nothing better than locking myself in my bathroom with all my Wen and enjoying every minute of it. My own private spa!"

That is my problem.  After wearing a crew cut (see avatar) for 40+ yrs, washing w/Johnson baby shampoo & doing nothing else, taking care of "long hair" is a job for me.  I am still in the "learning curve" phase.  Being "lazy" is of no help either. hidemf3.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@ANewHue

"I love nothing better than locking myself in my bathroom with all my Wen and enjoying every minute of it. My own private spa!"

That is my problem.  After wearing a crew cut (see avatar) for 40+ yrs, washing w/Johnson baby shampoo & doing nothing else, taking care of "long hair" is a job for me.  I am still in the "learning curve" phase.  Being "lazy" is of no help either. hidemf3.gif

Back when I still paid for a haircut, I had trouble getting them to cut it short enough. I used to tell them, "If it's a windy day and my hair moves, it's too long." 

Although that isn't my best look, I couldn't deal with how time consuming it was to get my hair to look decent when it was longer.

It was very unruly, and I didn't realize how much of my perpetual fried, frizzed, ornery "bad hair" was from using shampoo, and applying heat in attempts to control it.

Now I wash my hair bent forward over the kitchen sink. For half the year I apply after-care products, (I chose to use WEN only) and just walk outside to dry it as I get something done in the garage or garden.

The other 6 months I wrap my wet hair in a cotton shirt, tie the sleeves, and go to bed.

These days I don't use styling cream or mousse on just washed hair. I only use a little WEN cleanser mixed with a squirt of oil, and leave the other stuff for days 2 & 3 if I don't just wash it again.

You see, @Mz iMac, I'm trying to convert you to using WEN because I 👉know👈 overall you'll spend less time and look better. And along the way you'll discover the delight of WEN products.

So whether you lock yourself in and have 'spa time' or you just stick your head in a bucket of water and getterdone, WEN will make it easier to care for your long hair.

Now I've grown verbose and must skedaddle.  🙋