WEN

Honored Contributor

Wen - Treatment Oils in the Classic line - which oils have worked, and which haven't?

[ Edited ]

____ 

From what Chaz has shared on periscope it sounds as though the Wen Sept 5th TSV - 32oz. CC, 4oz. Oil, 12oz. RTM, & 6oz. SC will be be available in the Classic line scents. These scents are Sweet Almond Mint (SAM), Tea Tree (TT), Fig (FIG), Lavender (LAV), Cucumber Aloe (CA) and Pomegranate (POM). 

In the Classic line, the 32oz. Cleansing Conditioner (CC) sells for $49.50 and the 4oz. Treatment Oils sell for $54.50. Since the TSV price is $59, most Wenners will probably be making their purchasing selection based on either the CC or Oil they would like to try.

With that in mind, I thought I'd set up four individual Wen Classic line threads: one each for the Cleansing ConditionersTreatment OilsStyling Cremes, and Replenishing Treatment Mists. -- This way Wenners can ask questions and share information on which particular scents they like for each of the four products.

Overall, the individual Cleansing Conditioner scents have each been created with different hair care needs in mind. For the Treatment Oils, specific oils may have specific benefits for your scalp. Whereas, the various Styling Cremes and Replenishing Treatment Mists seem to perform equally well; for these two items, I think most people pick whichever scent they like the best.  

Additionally, each scent can vary through the product line. For example, I love the LAV CC scent but I find the LAV RTM has a powdery note that I don't like.

____

This thread is for the Treatment Oils in the Classic line.

The Treatment Oils, to some extent, were designed to take advantage of some of the benefits of their essential oils to benefit your scalp in particular. For example, the Tea Tree Eucalyptus Oil (tea tree oil) and the Fig Orange Oil (cedarwood) both have antibacterial essential oils in them (tea tree oil is also an anti-fungal) which help to keep your scalp healthy. Hilary's excellent Benefits of Oils thread has  a lot of great information on the benefits of individual essential oils.  I Am Even More in Love With the Wen Oils!!! and What is your Most Favorite Wen Oil? also have a lot of good information about the Wen oils.

Of course, scent is always a factor, because if you hate the scent then you probably won't want to use that particular Treatment Oil.

-- bebe Smiley Happy Wen FAQ - Wen 101 - periscope - InsideQ magazine - The Insider - how to subscribe -- Wen Abbreviations Glossary

Honored Contributor

Re: Wen - Treatment Oils in the Classic line - which oils have worked, and which haven't?

[ Edited ]

____ 

I make my own jojoba/tea tree oil blend and use it for overnight scalp treatments (once or twice a week). 

Before I started using the Wen Tea Tree CC, my scalp would turn into an oil slick inside of 18 hours. Using the TT CC for 3-4 months helped normalize the oil production on my scalp and I could go for 2-3 days between cleanses. 

A few years later when Chaz started promoting his Wen oils, I decided to save a few dollars and make my own jojoba/tea tree oil blend. I used it for overnight scalp treatments. Within a few months, I found that I could go 3-4 days between cleanses. 

I use a 95% carrier oil (jojoba oil) to a 5% essential oil (tea tree oil) blend. If you make your own blend, start out conservatively. You probably shouldn't use more than a 5% of TOTAL essential oils in your blend. 

Essential oils can irritate your skin or scalp. Always test your mixture on a less sentitive part of your body first (e.g your legs). 

I'm really looking forward to trying out Chaz's different Treatment Oils in his September 5th TSV. 

@BethanyB  and @Drythe, in particular, have experienced such healing benefits with these Treatment Oils that I have become really curious about them. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: Wen - Treatment Oils in the Classic line - which oils have worked, and which haven't?

I have tried most of the core oils except for SAM & POM. I find all of the cores are loud as far as scent. However, I wouldn't touch cucumber thyme oil again with a 10 foot pole. My son even hated for me to use it. He would not come near me and didn't want be in the same room with me if I did a treatment with it. Oh and forget about overnight treatment with it, i just couldn't do it. I like Fig & LAV most out of the cores for scent, but the seasonal oils are my favorite. They are so much lighter for those that are sensitive to smells.
Trusted Contributor

LOVE tea tree oil. I try to use it at least weekly.  It's a strong earthy smell but it does get results.   I tried the fig and pom oils but they were too scented for me. 

Respected Contributor

@Diva1Donna wrote:
I have tried most of the core oils except for SAM & POM. I find all of the cores are loud as far as scent. However, I wouldn't touch cucumber thyme oil again with a 10 foot pole. My son even hated for me to use it. He would not come near me and didn't want be in the same room with me if I did a treatment with it. Oh and forget about overnight treatment with it, i just couldn't do it. I like Fig & LAV most out of the cores for scent, but the seasonal oils are my favorite. They are so much lighter for those that are sensitive to smells.

@Diva1Donna The Cucumber Thyme oil is one that I've been afraid to try. Somehow the thyme scent just doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I'd be tempted to try it if it was cucumber scented only.

Respected Contributor

When I first started using Wen my hair was extremely oily. I never would have thought that I could apply oils to an oily scalp.

In the classic line I've tried the SAM, POM, FIG and TT oils. I like all of them but the SAM and TT oils definitely have a very strong scent. The POM scent was way too sweet for me. I have no idea how I lasted a whole night with that in my hair. I couldn't wait to get up and wash it out. The FIG oil is my favorite. It smells like the CC (minus the menthol) but with the addition of the sweet orange scent.

Normally when I apply the oils I'll do it a couple of hours before bed time. That way the scent isn't so strong by the time I go to bed.

Esteemed Contributor

The only core oil I haven't tried to date is Fig.  I enjoy all the core oils.  POM and Lavender I reserve for skin use but sometimes I do use them on my scalp.  I really didn't enjoy SAM oil so I use that to take to the salon to put in my dye alternating with TT to use it up.  I really enjoy all the seasonal oils but my favorite is WVM.  I cannot imagine getting through Winter without it,  the aromatherapy does wonders for my spirit.

Valued Contributor

Hello.  How much oil do you add to your hair color during salon visits?  This would work for me for some of my current oils.  Thank you in advance!

@ANewHue wrote:

The only core oil I haven't tried to date is Fig.  I enjoy all the core oils.  POM and Lavender I reserve for skin use but sometimes I do use them on my scalp.  I really didn't enjoy SAM oil so I use that to take to the salon to put in my dye alternating with TT to use it up.  I really enjoy all the seasonal oils but my favorite is WVM.  I cannot imagine getting through Winter without it,  the aromatherapy does wonders for my spirit.

Valued Contributor

My fave oils in the cores are TT, POM and Fig.  I just purchased a bottle of SAM, but haven't tried it yet.  I tried the CA and LAV, but didn't like the scents.  And I love all the seasonal oils!

Regular Contributor

I like the Pomegranate oil.  Haven't had much luck with any other classic oils. My absolute favorite oil is Spring Honey Lilac.