WEN

Trusted Contributor

Re: Wen - TWO OTO's Sunday 7pm (6/28)

@Suz585 wrote:
I don't tend to watch Albany much, not sure I like her selling style, so what is her usual go to word or her over used expression? Thanks

She's obviously Southern, as am I (SE Texas), but she uses expressions that I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually say in real life. And I've lived in South Mississippi, Tennessee, Virginia and have family in Southern Illinois, but I don't hear people talk like that (not even my Great Aunt Margie). They seem more like expressions used in books, TV or movies by writers not from the South using hackneyed cliches. Sometimes Albany sounds like a cross between Vicki Lawrence as "Mama" and Flo from the '70s TV series "Alice", but less authentic.

I don't mean to be too harsh on her. Maybe it is authentic and it just doesn't come off that way to me because it's just so anachronistic. I'm sure she's a delightful person, but when she hauls out some of those expressions, I just cringe.

Valued Contributor

Aprimo - thanks!!
**Suz**
Trusted Contributor

@Suz585 wrote:
Aprimo - thanks!!

I was re-reading my comments and they sound kind of mean. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive, due to the horrible (cliched, hackneyed, cheesy--take your pick) way Southerners, and Texans in particular, are often portrayed in all types of media. And yes, I realize that we do ourselves no favors by putting irresistable targets for mockery like Rick Perry front and center in public life. Oy. Sorry, didn't mean to get political on you. I'll stop now.

I'm looking forward to the WEN show!

Regular Contributor

I haven't even noticed it and I'm from North Carolina and we get TONS of stereotypes lol. Now I'll be really listening to her. Sometimes I think I tune it out until the next product comes on, especially when I've seen the gallons dozens of times already. 

I'll be listening now! 

Trusted Contributor

"Hold, please" and "Oh, my stars and garters!" I rarely watch Albany, so there may be other/better picks for the game :-)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Jen44 wrote:

RE: the drinking game... some of the hosts tend to use a few words repeately.  A poster picks a word, and each time the host says it, those who want to participate take a drink of their choice.

Well, I'll probably kick myself for getting into this conversation, but I thought at some point I would read someone saying the drinking game was what you all feel like doing when the host constantly interrupts Chaz (or other vendors). That is when I want to hit the bottle....and I don't even drink!

There are hosts I truly enjoy because they actually host and don't try to hog the conversation. There are several that ensure the conversation is moving along about the product, they bring up good questions about the use of the product, things that I would want to know or would ask, etc. But they are not overbearing. They know they are not the stars. Actually, it's a real art/skill in knowing when to talk and when not to.

And then there are a few who just won't let the vendor talk. They either interrupt, thinking what they have to say is more important, or they talk right over the vendor. On a few of Chaz's presentations, I just hit the mute button, trying to outsmart the host by knowing when it's okay to unmute. Sadly, I wasn't very good at it yesterday. Just when I thought it was safe to listen, BOOM! 

Quite frankly, I think it isn't easy being a host even if you have the gift of gab. I imagine in addition to ensuring the conversation moves along, they have to keep an eye on the clock, keep one ear open for what the producer is telling them (only two dozen handbags left in the color taupe), remind people of easy pay, what it would cost if you had to pay the full price, and smile, smile, smile. 

As a new WEN consumer since June 1, I want to find out all I can about the products. I find no matter how often I listen to him, I learn another good tidbit of information. So for me, I just want the host to let him do his thing, which he does so well. He really educates people on the use of his product. I have watched to see if the interrupting or talking over him affects him. If it does, he hides it well. He lets them do it. What a gentleman!

I was hoping his last few shows this month would be with hosts who respect him and us by letting him communicate in his wonderful way of doing so. But from what I am reading, that won't happen. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Aprimo - you hit the nail on the head! Never heard those expressions either. I may have to "mute" a lot - lol
Regular Contributor

"Hold, please" and "Oh, my stars and garters!" I rarely watch Albany, so there may be other/better picks for the game :-)

That officially bothers me LOL!  Who says "Oh, my stars and garters!" haha. 

So weird. 

I love her hair though. I have naturally curly hair that never looks like that. Ever. The mute button may be in effect if I hear that kind of talk tonight haha 

Honored Contributor

@Beautoxica wrote:

I haven't even noticed it and I'm from North Carolina and we get TONS of stereotypes lol. Now I'll be really listening to her. Sometimes I think I tune it out until the next product comes on, especially when I've seen the gallons dozens of times already. 

I'll be listening now! 

Hello Beautoxica

I'm from NC too.  It's hard not to be sensetive with shows like HBB and DD.  People think we actually talk that way.  As we've gone from a fairly progressive state to a regressive one in one year, people have reason to think we are idiots.    

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Hello Beautoxica

I'm from NC too.  It's hard not to be sensetive with shows like HBB and DD.  People think we actually talk that way.  As we've gone from a fairly progressive state to a regressive one in one year, people have reason to think we are idiots.    

You're right! I admit that I say some really country things sometimes but we're not idiots. I'll definitely be listening to Albany to see what kind of things she says tonight.