WEN

Frequent Contributor

Wen Questions - I’m a newbie!

Hi!
I have been interested in trying Wen but have not made the plunge yet.
I have thick, naturally wavy hair. I am 33 years old but have a lot of gray (my hair is almost black so it shows up very well) and I have to have it colored every 4 weeks for the gray coverage.

Wanting to know honest opinions on making the switch to Wen and any recommendations on which ones are best for thick, wavy hair that is colored every 4 weeks.

I have looked at the scents and I am a more fall/winter type scent person. I adore anything vanilla!

Thanks in advance!
Honored Contributor

Re: Wen Questions - I’m a newbie!

@Smc09 

Welcome to the WEN forum!👋

I can’t address your hair type as I have exactly the opposite: fine, straight hair.  But the Bella Spirit Indigo Toner is wonderful for perking up gray hair.  I’ll leave the details to someone else since I don’t use it.

As for scents:  I’m partial to Winter Vanilla Mint.  My favorite!  It smells exactly like Andes chocolate mints.😋  There also are a couple of other vanilla based formulas, like Vanilla Pumpkin.  The seasonals will be the ones with any vanilla scents.  Everyone seems to have their favorites, so I’m sure you’ll get lots of ideas!

Respected Contributor

Well, one big change you'll see is that you won't need to color as often, as WEN does not strip color.  You'll probably only do the roots, not your entire head of hair, or, if you try Bella Spirit Indigo, you might decide to skip coloring, as your grey might turn into silver streaks that you like the look of. 

As to formulas, I'd suggest Fig, a classic formula, since it's the most moisturizing for processed hair, or Mandarin Italian Fig, it's also good for moisture, and is rice-based.  If you love vanilla, I can recommend Winter Vanilla Mint wholeheartedly, it's my #1 favorite.  You might also try 613, it's got a more floral/herbal vanilla than WVM, which is chocolate/minty.  Finally, the formulas of cleansing conditioner differ in many more ways than just scent, there are three main bases; classics are wheat-based, seasonals are soy-based, and there are a few that are rice-based.  Kids formulas don't contain menthol, which can be too strong for children's scalps, and also sting their eyes, since they are not as practiced at washing their hair as adults become, they just haven't had as much practice.  So, even if you love vanilla scented products, you might find other formulas that perform better for your hair. 

As to purchasing strategies, as tempting as it is to go into the deep end, so to speak, I'd suggest starting with just a couple of gallons, tops, on auto-delivery, and getting comfortable with it's use.  There are usually many good WEN deals, between TSV's, Big Deals, etc. throughout the year that will let you try different formulas, so that you can go crazy next June. 

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you love your new WEN hair!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Smc09 - @CamilleP gave you good information. I will add, if you have any questions at all, call the number on the bottle. Chaz has a wenderful CS dept and always willing to help.

Also, Wen has a slight learning curve so don't get frustrated. It took me awhile to adjust to it. Also important is the cleanse, rinse & repeat then use the CC as a leave-in followed by styling creme (especially if you don't air dry).

Welcome to wenderful world of Wen!

Frequent Contributor

@CamilleP  @geezerette  @riley1 

Thank you all for the help! I still have not decided what to do.

I want to try it so bad but so scared to at the same time!

Esteemed Contributor

@Smc09 

I'm not clear if you are interested in starting out ordering the gallon (s).

I originally ordered a trio with three different CC's, six years ago in June. Gave it a try and still had enough time to order a gallon before the month ended, which I did.

I see one trio right now and two separate duos in the classic CC's that may be of interest to try. There are other duos in the but both CC's are duplicates, no variety.

This trio has a choice of hair texture for the trio configuration. 

Screenshot_2019-06-01-08-37-46-1.png

Honored Contributor

@Smc09 The first time I started to get WEN, I got the variety travel packs of the classics. That way I could try each one to see how they performed on my hair.

It really didn't take long for me to figure out which ones did not work as well with my hair type and which ones were absolutely "life changing" in how nice my hair could look.

And the gals on this forum actually confirmed what I found when I was trying out the various formulas. They told me Tea Tree and Lavender, and unbeknown to them, those were the two that worked the best on my hair. So I got a gallon of each of those and then another two gallons according to the scents I wanted (Ginger Pumpkin and Vanilla Mint) later in the month of June that year.

But you really can't go wrong with any of the seasonal scents, whichever one sounds like something you would like to have. It is like aromatherapy.

Here is the link to the variety pack of the classics if you want to just dip your toe into WEN:

https://www.qvc.com/WEN-by-Chaz-Dean-Set-of-8-Cleansing-Conditioner-Travel-Packette.product.A222871....

Honored Contributor

@Smc09 

I would agree with @rochelleS and @World Traveler about trying a variety configuration.  Eons ago when Chaz first started, I was very skeptical.  I didn’t order for years, even though I watched him every time he came.  When I finally did order, it was the 16 oz bottle classic variety pack.  And like Shawn mentioned last night, I didn’t like any because I wasn’t using them properly.  I waited another few years and, after reading this forum and getting hints about the various varieties, I tried another formula.  I loved it!

Come the November-December holiday time period, there is normally a WEN TSV, which for years has been your choice of a couple of different variety packs (usually classics and seasonals).  The price is always great (often better than the gallons!).  I know we all are hyped up about the gallons right now, but believe me, we will be as hyped when those arrive too!

If you want to jump in with a gallon, go for it.  If you just want to try a few different formulas, do look at some of the variety choices.  And if you have any questions, come back often to this WEN forum.  These ladies are not only informative, but they’re very nice too! 🙂👍

Esteemed Contributor

@Smc09 - I agree, start out with either the travel packs or the 16 oz. duo. When I first began using Wen, I started with 16 oz. Seasonals. 

Take the plunge! You will love Wen. And, if you ever have questions and don't call the number on the bottle, you can always come here. These gals are the best at giving hints/explanations/how to's, etc.

Frequent Contributor

@rochelleS @World Traveler @geezerette @riley1 @x Hedge 

Thank you all! So I just placed my order and based upon your recommendations I did the  variety selection of the travel packs. I figured that was the best way to try it out since I will get to try several formulas to get me started!

I am excited (and nervous!) to try it out when it arrives!