WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: Wen - Cleansing Conditioners in the Classic line - which formulas have worked, and which haven't

[ Edited ]

Well now you went and confused me again.  Everybody says Lav is for fine hair but I have the complete opposite with the same coarse thick hair that bebe's friend does.  I think Chaz has mentioned Lav also works for that hair type even thought it's not really meant for it.  And I was all set to go with SAM since I have FIG up to here...Decisions, decisions...

Respected Contributor

Re: Wen - Cleansing Conditioners in the Classic line - which formulas have worked, and which haven't

@Arianny wrote:

My favorites are TT and Sam.  Both just work so well for me.  I used to like using Pom too, and I love that scent, but the performance on my hair is just ok.  I cannot use Fig, CA or Lav.  I keep trying the Fig, but it just seems to weigh my hair down.  The Lav made my hair like a puff ball (Smiley Happy) and the CA gives me frizzies.  I am more of a Seasonals girl - love most of those and the performance on my hair is great!

TT and SAM are also my favorite of the core formulas.  I use Fig occasionally since I don't need the extra moisture.  I don't like lavender for scent or performance.  The scent of lavender was overpowering and it made my hair frizzy and dry.  I only tried CA in the travel packets but do intend to purchase a 16 oz. size of this to use sometimes. 

Respected Contributor

I can use any of the formulas and get similar results, except for one.  I am mildly allergic to lavender and if I use it on my scalp, in a day or two I will start getting itchy red, weepy welts.  I change up all the others depending on what my hair needs any particular day.  However, since I am trying to simplify my life in preparation for retirement, I am down to just three of the core CC's, and hope to stay with just two for the long run, TT and Fig.  I am using up the last of my SAM gallon from two years ago now, and when it's gone I won't replace it.  Since TT gets my scalp the healthiest over the long term, it will become my regular first cleanse, and then either a seasonal, or, if I've heat-styled on a rare occasion, Fig for my second cleanse.  I have tried the CA and Lav oils, though I stopped using Lav oil except on the ends of my hair, but the CA doesn't offer the same unique benefit of TT oil, so I am going to get the TSV in TT to stock up on that oil, and use up the rest of the products over time, slowly.

Trusted Contributor

TT - my hands down, absolute favorite, desert-island hair product......if I had to pick ONE CC to use forevah.......it would be TT. Love it. 😍

SAM - one of my top faves, use it less often in the summer, more in the winter, especially on the ends of my (longish) hair

LAV - another fave, use it year-round

CA - a staple in my routine, especially in our hot, humid summer months (hello heat index of 118 at 11:00 a.m. 😡)

^^^^^  These guys are virtually interchangeable for me, TT and LAV year round, more SAM in the winter, more CA in the summer

POM - I had a brief love affair with POM when I first started using Wen. I had been through a couple of 32 oz bottles before I bought my first POM gallon. Only then did I realize that it didn't work as well for me as these other formulas. After trying to work my way through a gallon of product, I got sick of the smell. Now, I can't stand the smell of anything POM, it's sickeningly sweet to my nose, in an artificial way. I finally abandoned that gallon.......think it's still sitting in the linen closet of my guest bathroom. Outta sight, outta mind, ha ha. 

Fig - still haven't tried it

Respected Contributor

@DoxieMomma wrote:

TT - my hands down, absolute favorite, desert-island hair product......if I had to pick ONE CC to use forevah.......it would be TT. Love it. 😍

SAM - one of my top faves, use it less often in the summer, more in the winter, especially on the ends of my (longish) hair

LAV - another fave, use it year-round

CA - a staple in my routine, especially in our hot, humid summer months (hello heat index of 118 at 11:00 a.m. 😡)

^^^^^  These guys are virtually interchangeable for me, TT and LAV year round, more SAM in the winter, more CA in the summer

POM - I had a brief love affair with POM when I first started using Wen. I had been through a couple of 32 oz bottles before I bought my first POM gallon. Only then did I realize that it didn't work as well for me as these other formulas. After trying to work my way through a gallon of product, I got sick of the smell. Now, I can't stand the smell of anything POM, it's sickeningly sweet to my nose, in an artificial way. I finally abandoned that gallon.......think it's still sitting in the linen closet of my guest bathroom. Outta sight, outta mind, ha ha. 

Fig - still haven't tried it

And I thought the 112 degree weather we have here in Arizona was bad. Of course, we don't have that much humidity so I guess I shouldn't complain. Cat Happy

The next time you have overnight guests just lock them in the guest bathroom and make them use some of that POM gallon. That way you can slowly use it up and maybe convert some more people to Wen. Cat LOL

Trusted Contributor

@HSB1204 Yeah, it's the humidity that makes our weather so miserable.....actual temp is only around 98-100. I've travelled to Arizona a few times and LOVED it, beautiful landscapes and great hair, no matter how hot it was!

Good thought on making guests use up that POM!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was just listening to one of Chaz's periscope videos from yesterday (It's all in the process). One of his assistants at his salon was filming him and letting his know what people were asking on periscope. Chaz was cutting/styling clients hair while he was talking and answering questions. 

Someone asked which TSV formula a first time Wen user should choose. Chaz recommended that they choose Sweet Almond Mint (SAM), Tea Tree (TT) or Pomegranate (POM) because they were all universal formulas (meaning they worked on all hair types). 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are six different Cleansing Conditioners in the Wen Classic line:

* Sweet Almond Mint (SAM) 

* Tea Tree (TT) 

* Fig (FIG) 

* Lavender (LAV) 

* Cucumber Aloe (CA) 

* Pomegranate (POM)

In the Classic line, the 32oz. Cleansing Conditioner (CC) sells for $49.50 and the 16oz. Cleansing Conditioners sell for $29.00. -- This June 2016, the Classic gallons sell for $179.00 plus a $3 S&H charge.

All of the CCs in the Classic line are wheat-based except for Pomegranate (POM) which is soy-based. This makes POM an excellent choice for people who are gluten intolerant or who have celliac disease. 

The Classic CC line was the first Wen line that Chaz developed. They do not have some of the specialized ingredients in them that some of Chaz's later lines have, such as: 

* 11 amino acid complex - strengthens hair since hair is keratin protein

* extra skin care ingredients (since your scalp is part of your skin) 

* bamboo water - provides flexible hair strength

* honey complex - provides added moisture to your hair

* Four Tea complex - antioxidants

The Cleansing Conditioners in the Classic line have been created with various hair needs in mind (e.g. thin/fine, coarse/thick, lots of hair vs. not a lot of hair, curly hair, damaged hair, hair that needs more moisture, etc.). It's not the scent (of the essential oils) that determines the CC's performance. If you look through the various ingredients listings, you'll find that the ingredients vary a good deal from CC to CC. It's those ingredients that determine the hair care performance. 

So you shouldn't choose your CC by the scent but, instead, by what it will do for your hair. 

Of course, scent is always a factor, because if you hate the scent them you probably won't want to use that CC.

-- bebe Smiley Happy Wen FAQ -- Wen 101 -- periscope -- June 2016 - Running Tally of Wen Gallons Ordered -- should you purchase a Wen Gallon? -- June Chat 2016 -- Wen Abbreviations Glossary

___

Wen Classic line - related styling products

Additionally, I set up three additional individual Wen Classic line threads: one each for the Cleansing ConditionersTreatment OilsStyling Cremes, and Replenishing Treatment Mists. -- This way Wenners can ask questions and share information on which particular scents they like for each of the four products.

Overall, the individual Cleansing Conditioner scents have each been created with different hair care needs in mind. For the Treatment Oils, specific oils may have specific benefits for your scalp. Whereas, the various Styling Cremes and Replenishing Treatment Mists seem to perform equally well; for these two items, I think most people pick whichever scent they like the best.  

Additionally, each scent can vary through the product line. For example, I love the LAV CC scent but I find the LAV RTM has a powdery note that I don't like. 

___

Valued Contributor

I've tried all of the classics and have finally narrowed it down to two, POM & TT. LAV  & CA occasionally. POM delivers every single time.

SAM dries out my hair and fluffs it out like no other. Worst performing cleanser for my hair yet. FIG is too moisturizing. So its either TT or POM and CA as a clarifier SAM. It pains me how horrible it is for my hair.

Respected Contributor

Of the classic line I have used all of them but currently just have many bottles of TT and one 16 oz of CA.  I use  TT, BGT, or FF as my first cleanse.  I will occasionally use the CA but won't purchase it again.  I always use a seasonal as my 2nd cleanse.  I also like SAM and POM but haven't purchased either recently.  I find FIG a bit too moisturizing for my hair and didn't like LAV at all since it was very drying and I also didn't care for the scent.