WEN

Valued Contributor

WEN mask -- first time user - any suggestions ?

[ Edited ]

Hi - I use Wen to "wash" hair but haven't tried the mask.  Have long, fine hair.

Lately my hair has seemed drier (needs haircut) and oddly a bit matted after washing with WEN.  Perhaps I'm leaving too much of it as a leave in?  (Have been using Kids, Watermelon --- do not like the menthol in other ones.)

Looking to try a mask.  Please any suggestions?  

- which one?

- tips for use?

- how often?

Thanks!!

Super Contributor

Re: WEN mask -- first time user - any suggestions ?

First, these are the questions that come to my mind:

1.  are you combing your hair out before washing?
2.  are you combing your hair in the shower when you have the Wen in your hair

3 are you drenching your hair with water before you apply the Wen and a little while you are washing your hair?
4.  Are you adding a small amount to your hair as a leave in when you are getting out of the shower?

5) are you using enough of the shampoo?   I use a golf ball size for cleansing, two cleanses when I wash my hair.  

If you are doing all these and still getting matted and want to a deep conditioner, any of the remoist will work the same.   I believe the only difference is the scent your prefer. 

I hope you get this corrected.   I love then feel of my hair when I use Wen.   I only experience the yucky matting  when I try to use another brand, even if they are sulfate free.   Wen is my choice! 

Valued Contributor

Hi @Memebell (you have a pretty name),

Thanks for your reply!!

1) Combing out before washing -- no haven't been doing that - WILL START

2) Combing in shower --- have always been afraid of that tearing the hair

3) I do drench hair with water before and then a little bit while washing it

4) Leave-in amount:  this is where I am thinking maybe I add too much as a leave-in and it then causes it to get more tangly and matted?  Does NOT have that smooth feel, the next few days after washing.  I use a gallon dispenser and put maybe a teaspoon size as leave-in, approximately.

5) I definitely try to use A LOT when washing.  Gallon-size, dispense pump each on crown - then midshaft - then ends.... and then go back and add more, before completely rinsing it out.    (all this before adding that bit in as leave-in)

I really want it to feel nice!

Respected Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

Hi - I use Wen to "wash" hair but haven't tried the mask.  Have long, fine hair.

Lately my hair has seemed drier (needs haircut) and oddly a bit matted after washing with WEN.  Perhaps I'm leaving too much of it as a leave in?  (Have been using Kids, Watermelon --- do not like the menthol in other ones.)

Looking to try a mask.  Please any suggestions?  

- which one?

- tips for use?

- how often?

Thanks!!

@Julie_23 

I was wondering if you have tried the Bella Spirit Cleansing Conditioner, (there is the Indigo also) they do not have menthol in them..They are very moisturizing & is what Chaz calls his treatment line..the previous poster gave you great advice...Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Julie_23   You mention that you have long, fine hair.  To me, "fine" hair means that each individual hair shaft is very thin.  It doesn't tell me how dense or sparse each hair is spaced on your scalp.  If you have a lot of hair, and it's very dense on your scalp, you probably need as much CC as you are using.   If your hair is more sparse, you might be using too much.  The most common problem is not using enough, of course, but if globs of CC are falling out of your hair onto your shower floor, it's going to waste.  So if you can't work three pumps from a gallon into your hair completely and get it frothy and creamy with water, you might try using a bit less.   Also, make sure you are using either a WEN comb or a very wide-toothed comb to comb through in the shower, not a fine-toothed comb, to avoid pulling and breaking.  The benefit of ordering some WEN re-moist is that you often get a WEN comb with it, especially the seasonals, many of which are super-yummy smelling! 

Finally, on your choice of using WEN kids formulas.  I have only tried one, but I found it not to perform anywhere near as well on my fine, semi-sparse hair.  It just wasn't as moisturizing as even the classic formulas.  Another poster has mentioned the Bella Spirit formulas, you might find significant benefit from adding some of it to your second cleanse, that might help the drier hair you are experiencing.  And the dryness might simply be due to your furnace kicking on and warming your house, most HVAC systems do dry home air to some extent.  Do you use a blow dryer on your hair, or hot tools of any sort?  If so, then please make sure you are using WEN styling creme to protect your hair from the heat.  If you don't want to use WEN, then you can probably find other heat protectant products, but odds are they are not as good for your hair as the styling creme.  Even if you air dry, adding some SC to your CC leave in might help smooth and detangle your hair.  I also believe that Chaz makes a WEN Kids detangling spray, that might be another product you can try.

These are just my first thoughts on reading your post, I hope I've brought up topics and information you find useful.  Best Wishes!

Valued Contributor

@quadmimi, thanks for suggesting the Bella Spirit.  I did not know they didn't have the menthol and were considered part of his treatment line.  Good to know!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CamilleP -- thank you for these great tips!!  And, you asked such a good question regarding the "thin" hair.  It is definitely more sparse.  (Hoping for some re-growth!)

I, too, loved your attention to detail and will look into the things you suggested and give them a try.  Everything you said was very useful.

Thanks again!!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23 - you got some great tips here to try. I usually don't comb my Wen through until the second cleanse then leave my hair plopped on my head while I finish my shower.

Also, you might be needing more than a "splash" of water for both washes. You should have a creamy texture to the CC. Just guessing but I probably use 4-6 oz of water for my splash.

If you are still having trouble, try "whipping" your CC in a cup with water then applying. 

I'll page @Hedge for you - she does the whipping and has other great tips.

Respected Contributor

@Julie_23   I am glad I was helpful.  If you are experiencing hair loss that is related to a medical issue, of course see your doctor, but if you think it's probably just age-related, you could consider using WEN botanical scalp/hair tonic.  You apply it directly to the scalp, and so far many of us have had good results with hair re-growth, myself included.  I use it every night for several hours before showering before bed.  Another WEN product we've used for years is the treatment oil, the Tea Tree version is particularly good for hair loss.  I've been using it weekly for years, and have a stash, but once that's gone I think I'll just use the tonic, it's easier for me to apply.  Both the oil and tonic have worked for me, but I admit, the tonic works better.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@riley1  --- thank you -- these are some great tips you suggested!!   Never thought to whip it in a cup before applying!

@CamilleP -- thanks for mentioning that about the tonic - that is very encouraging to hear!!  And the info about tea tree as well - fantastic!

I really appreciate everyone's replies.