WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: WEN & drain-- recommendations ?

@Julie_23 

Green Gobbler

I originally purchased from Q.  also sold at Home Depot, Lowes or Amazon.

Easy and NO smell or chemical burns! 

I have a lot of hair loss due to Thyroid problems and this product really works.

Respected Contributor

I did buy a cover that will help catch hair while I shower...it does work pretty good but it won't catch ALL the hair and some will still go down the drain.  

I use a plastic snake from Home Depot...to take out the hair so my shower never gets clogged up.  I have never had long hair like the OP's so I would think you will need to snake it often to keep build up from happening.  In my experience no product drain cleaner will get thur that amount of long hair.  The snaking works best...then use a drain cleaner.  But you must snake often...perhaps after your weekly wash is best in your case.

My hair now is rather short and I still snake it each month....and I wash every other day and sometimes daily.  Going to look for that Green Gobbler product next time at Home Depot to have on hand also...thanks for the tip on that productWoman Happy

Frequent Contributor

I use Professor Amos' drain cleaner also, and it works like a charm!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Julie_23  -  Once you get the drain clear pour a small bottle of Dawn dish soap down it once a month.  I get mine at the dollar store.  Do it overnight or during the day.  Whichever time period is longer without needing to use the shower.  Then allow hot, hot water to run for 3 - 5 minutes.  It will keep the drain flowing.  

Respected Contributor

We have great piping, nothing wrong with it at all and Wen honks up our shower drain, happened to my mom as well, she got tired of it and finally ended up stopping Wen.

Respected Contributor

@Julie_23  I have fine hair as well, and it has varied between a pixie and below my shoulders, on and off, for years now.  I have found that nothing clogs my shower drain

if the tree roots invading the main line between our house and our septic tank are kept clear!  Our house was built in 1975, and finally, about four years ago, after years of minor to major drought levels, the tree roots got into the line enough to block it.  Once we had a "rooter" company come out with their cutter blades and powered machine (hand-powered "snakes" would be useless) to clear that last 20-30 feet  between the house and the tank, we have not had a clogged drain anywhere in the house.  So it might not be the shower drain and your hair  and WEN at all, it might be tree roots in your outdoor line.  Even in towns with municipal plumbing you can have tree root problems, and any clog between your house and the main city line is your responsibility, as are clogs inside your house as well, of course.  No matter how often you put caustic or non-caustic chemicals down your shower, no matter if you stop using WEN, if you have tree roots in your line, you will keep getting clogs over and over until you get the tree roots cut out.  Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Wow, everybody, thanks!!   Such great replies.  You've all been so helpful.

Thank you again very much.

Contributor

@Julie_23 wrote:

Wow, everybody, thanks!!   Such great replies.  You've all been so helpful.

Thank you again very much.

Please reply back to let us know if you've solved the problem.