WEN

Honored Contributor

Re: WEN & Wavy•Curly•Coily•Kinky

Yes, I struggled with my hair type which is mostly 2b/2c with some 3a. Mine is straighter on top and curlier underneath. I used to use shampoo and conditioner designed to make hair sleeker and straighter. I'd have to wash it the day before an event so it would be flatter.

I gave all that up when I went curly girl method. I was already using Wen for a few years at that point but was using Fig in the beginning for the extra moisture. Now I can use any CC I want to. I use 6-8 pumps of SC on my waist length hair. I probably will be upping that soon as that's the same amount I was using when it was shorter. If I use mousse, I do 12+ pumps. I'm often lazy and don't use mousse though. I love the texturizing spray. 

I found the newer reverse method and using SC last works better on my hair. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom

My hair is likewise less curled at the crown.

I have yet to try the texturizing spray, but I've been intrigued since Chaz launched it.

Do you make a point of primarily using the TS on the upper 2b/2c with the aim of having it blend with the 3a better?

(So texture is more consistent all over.)

I'm considering ordering TS for this purpose.

Just in the last few weeks I've learned new techniques for using the diffuser, so I'm back to using styling cream again. It never worked well for me before, but I have new insights into how much product my hair really needs.

I'm up to about 4 pumps of styling cream, but based on your use I think I'll try 6 pumps on the next wash. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

While there's occasionally some talk of Curly Girl method here, I got my REAL understanding earlier this year after searching out websites & videos dedicated to it.

It really opened my eyes, and over the summer I started trying several different ways to use my beloved WEN products.

After a lifetime of parched hair & scalp, I realized (duh!) that since I routinely applied oil directly to my scalp, and I'm generous with it, I was artificially creating a more oily scalp than is normal for me. 

While all WEN CCs did a good job of removing it, I tried using WEN CA cc (for oily scalp/dry hair) dispensed right at the scalp only. Loving it.

Chaz used to stress applying leave-in & styling products by "twist & squeeze"-ing them into hair.

I don't hear him saying that any more, and this year I abandoned that application method.

Since I want to form and maintain large clumps when wet, using a comb or finger raking to distribute product is out for me.

I'm pretty much using 'praying hands' and 'squish' applications for all WEN products now.

I found a buff at $Dollar Tree and sleep in that now, with hair straight up (picture Marge Simpson hair) rather than pinching curls down into a pineapple. The buff supports and contains my hair, protects it from bedding, and reviving it next AM is faster and requires less product and fuss.

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I’m a 3a...thank ya’, thank ya’ very much. And did I mention my curls love Bella like nothin’ I’ve seen since FAS!!

How would you compare the BS Traditional on your curls vs 613?

And, have you used it as your leave-in?

I've loved using 613 as my leave in cc for the last couple of years. For me, it's extremely rich and packed with moisture.

Results feel great, and I'm convinced it's dependant upon water temp plus how naturally porus a person's hair is when 613 is applied.

Some people describe 613 as drying.

Presuming we're all applying our WEN to drenched hair, I'm supposing if hair is medium to low porosity, the 613 leaves more deposits outside the hair shaft, leaving it feeling 'dry', or coated.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge I actually use it more on my length with just enough on the top so that my curls extend higher. 

Honored Contributor

As far as sleeping, if I want lots of curls I put my hair in a bun ( dry only) over night. If I want a more natural look then I usually pineapple. My hair is at the point again where I don't like sleeping with it down as it gets trapped under me when I roll over. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

As far as sleeping, if I want lots of curls I put my hair in a bun ( dry only) over night. If I want a more natural look then I usually pineapple. My hair is at the point again where I don't like sleeping with it down as it gets trapped under me when I roll over. 

Can relate to that.  At one point my bed was nearly centered in the room. I slept at the very top of the bed with all my hair hanging free over the edge. Could roll from side to side and my hair never got caught under me.

edit-don't you hate when it gets caught under your arm? 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

I’m a 3a...thank ya’, thank ya’ very much. And did I mention my curls love Bella like nothin’ I’ve seen since FAS!!

How would you compare the BS Traditional on your curls vs 613?

And, have you used it as your leave-in?

I've loved using 613 as my leave in cc for the last couple of years. For me, it's extremely rich and packed with moisture.

Results feel great, and I'm convinced it's dependant upon water temp plus how naturally porus a person's hair is when 613 is applied.

Some people describe 613 as drying.

Presuming we're all applying our WEN to drenched hair, I'm supposing if hair is medium to low porosity, the 613 leaves more deposits outside the hair shaft, leaving it feeling 'dry', or coated.

@x Hedge...I'm so sorry I didn't see this post until today!  My curls respond to Bella Spirit as well as they respond to FAS.  They are more spirally, bouncy & voluminous.  I don't use 613 on my hair; it doesn't need it and it was too drying.  The seasonals are enough of a treatment for me.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oops, I didn't see this post!  thank you @SurferWife!  And @x Hedge

I'm a natural 2A.  Not your typical straight asian hair.  Sometimes I 

like to enhance my waves more so I do the big no no....out comes

the old faithful curling iron.  Just to get the 2B look.

But since using Wen from 2011, I have zero, nada, split ends!!!!