WEN

Esteemed Contributor

WEN & Wavy•Curly•Coily•Kinky

[ Edited ]

Hair-Types.jpg

Growing up, I never saw a shampoo ad for hair that looked like my big loopy 3a-3b blonde curls, unless it was baby shampoo. Nowadays I'm a disorderly mix of 2b-2c-3a, but I still get 3b ringlets around the edges.

I got off on the wrong foot with WEN products because there used to be so many experienced Wenners who'd post about only using a half pump cc for leave in, a "pea sized amount" of styling cream. They were equally stingy with applying other styling products because their hair would go 'flat'.

What worked so well for their hair definitely didn't work for mine.

Luckily, I stumbled upon the Tips & Tricks videos on Chaz's website, which includes videos for ethnic hair. That helped me a lot in understanding better ways to use WEN in my own hair.

https://chazdean.com/salon/tips#!JNI8DfFG-5E

I also came across a detailed WEN product review by someone with hair much like mine.

After 60+ years of fighting with her hair, the reviewer had finally figured out (she called that WEN number!) her hair responded best to curly hair techniques she was completely unfamiliar with.

She had to apply her leave in and WEN styling products without combing (or finger combing) her wet hair, and after applying, not to touch her clean hair at all until it was completely dry.

She was elated with the no-frizz results!

About that time I caught on to Chaz occasionally mentioning some people need even more product, NOT just for longer hair, but because of hair type. OMG he was talking to me!

To reinforce that, they now show model Wendy using as much cc (3 golfballs) per cleanse as models with much longer hair, because of differences in their hair's characteristics.

So, curly girls, what's your hair type (range), and what curly techniques (praying hands, SOTC, etc)

do you use to get the most from WEN?

Have you struggled with learning how to care for your hair type?

(My mother treated my hair like her type1, so she used to insist on dragging a comb, from root to ends, through my dry, snarled, dense hair,  yea- you know what I mean...handfuls!)

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge- Thank  you for your story. I had much the same trial/error with Wen when I first started. I didn't know about the Wen forum, didn't know what I was doing and gave up. Then I sat and watched one of his December shows and ordered the 5 Seasonal TSV special.

They were a game changer for me. My frizz seemed to disappear and I learned to live with the wavy curls - no more flat iron or keratin treatments. 

Through the years I have learned (and listened to Chaz a lot more!) what CCs work for me, how much SC to put in and how many pumps of CC to add back in. It really isn't one size fits all. There is a learning curve. 

I also had to learn to adjust the amount of product based on my particular needs that season, etc.

By the way, depending on the day, humidity, season my hair is 2B 2C 3A.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Hair-Types.jpg

Growing up, I never saw a shampoo ad for hair that looked like my big loopy 3a-3b blonde curls, unless it was baby shampoo. Nowadays I'm a disorderly mix of 2b-2c-3a, but I still get 3b ringlets around the edges.

I got off on the wrong foot with WEN products because there used to be so many experienced Wenners who'd post about only using a half pump cc for leave in, a "pea sized amount" of styling cream. They were equally stingy with applying other styling products because their hair would go 'flat'.

What worked so well for their hair definitely didn't work for mine.

Luckily, I stumbled upon the Tips & Tricks videos on Chaz's website, which includes videos for ethnic hair. That helped me a lot in understanding better ways to use WEN in my own hair.

https://chazdean.com/salon/tips#!JNI8DfFG-5E

I also came across a detailed WEN product review by someone with hair much like mine.

After 60+ years of fighting with her hair, the reviewer had finally figured out (she called that WEN number!) her hair responded best to curly hair techniques she was completely unfamiliar with.

She had to apply her leave in and WEN styling products without combing (or finger combing) her wet hair, and after applying, not to touch her clean hair at all until it was completely dry.

She was elated with the no-frizz results!

About that time I caught on to Chaz occasionally mentioning some people need even more product, NOT just for longer hair, but because of hair type. OMG he was talking to me!

To reinforce that, they now show model Wendy using as much cc (3 golfballs) per cleanse as models with much longer hair, because of differences in their hair's characteristics.

So, curly girls, what's your hair type (range), and what curly techniques (praying hands, SOTC, etc)

do you use to get the most from WEN?

Have you struggled with learning how to care for your hair type?

(My mother treated my hair like her own, so she used to insist on dragging a comb, from root to ends, through my dry, snarled, dense hair,  yea- you know what I mean...handfuls!)

Lovely post, Hedge.

Respected Contributor

I'm probably a 2B/2C mix---thanks for the chart @x Hedge, I had no idea until now! 

But it's just in the last 6 months or so that I've decided to stop fighting my natural hair texture. I got my stylist to do a "texturizing" cut last time, and I love it! I can either let it dry naturally for lots of waves, or blow dry using just my fingers for a smoother, but still wavy, style. My hair is chin-length.

However, I still cannot use more than 1.5 pumps of styling creme, along with 4-5 pumps of mousse (I mix these together before applying) in my hair. And I never have been able to use even a dab of CC as a leave-in. Too much SC and mousse leave my hair feeling coated, no matter how much I work it in. Same with ANY amount of CC. And by "coated" I mean I can run my fingers thru my dry hair and feel the product on them afterwards--sort of a "dusty" feeling if that makes sense. There's no shine at all.

Just a post to show we are all different, even if our hair type seems the same!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WEN & Wavy•Curly•Coily•Kinky

@vermint

Since you've recently embraced your natural hair texture I'll guess maybe you've already found

www.  naturallycurly .com

When you go to their menu, tap "My Curls" and that will open to a lot of information.

Some links don't look like links on that website.

When you're doing their Texture Quiz, tap on the wave or curl and it opens to more choices.

Sometimes tapping on a picture on Naturally Curly opens to an article.

I adapt the information I've gleened there, and from other websites to use with WEN products.

The only thing I have to look outside of the WEN line for is a curl defining/enhancing gel.

I've also found a couple of credible, informative people onYouTube.

I like Hair Romance and Curly Susie, but I end up watching lots of others too.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge I'll check it out...thanks!
Esteemed Contributor

One of the things I really love about WEN is no matter how much leave-in and styling product I use while playing around/experimenting, I know it'll never hurt my hair.

Respected Contributor

Hedge, thank you for posting this chart.  Naturally I have type 1 hair, with the perm it's maybe a 2A.   Not worth the damage to my hair, obviously.  I'd be overjoyed with 2B or 2C, but it looks like the only option is a curling iron of some sort.  Thankfully, with WEN, I can do that without ruining these board straight locks!

Super Contributor

Thanks so much for posting this @Hedoe

Honored Contributor

I’m a 3a...thank ya’, thank ya’ very much. And did I mention my curls love Bella like nothin’ I’ve seen since FAS!!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.